Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Chickarita
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2006, 1:44 pm

Does anyone here know about giftedness/ sensory integration disorder or asperger's? I have dyslexia and capd, but i also show many of the characteristics of both sensory integration disorder and asperger's. Is it possible to have both? I am looking for someone that i can list my characteristics to and see what they think. Please keep in mind that giftedness can alter some characteristics.
Thanks so much, Chickarita :D

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 2:13 pm

Almost any constellation is possible.

- Emerson

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 2:20 pm

SID and CAPD are really common in Asperger's. I personally think I have both in some degree (actually I consider CAPD as part of SID, it just specifies which sense is disordered).

Dyslexia seems to be pretty common too. Someone around here has a signature that says something like "dyslexics of the world, untie!".

katt5220
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2006, 4:56 pm

Hi,
can you tell me what CAPD is please?

Thanks,
Katt

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 5:03 pm

Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

It's mostly about not being to tell sounds apart if they're happening at the same time. Like when something's talking to you and there's music or other people talking in the background. You hear the person's voice, but you can't understand what she's saying.

Chickarita
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2006, 10:11 pm

thanks for all your help! And yes capd is cental auditory processing disorder.

my sympthoms include:

When i was little i had excessive energy, more than i've ever seen any other kid have. I was very impulsive and distractable. Teachers said i probably had adhd, but not enough to medicate. The problem is that my sympthoms were similar to adhd but also not quite the same. I never tapped pencils or anything like that. As i grew older the hyperness completelly dissappeared. From what i have read, adhd almost never goes away. I also remember having speech problems. It was hard for people not used to being around me to understand what i said. I couldn't pronounce things like the other children.

I was also slightly agressive. Never to the point where i intentionally hit someone, but i didn't really realize when i was hurting someone. My parents also worried about me because i couldn't feel pain at all. I would climb on, jump off, or swing on anything. I had no common sense when it came to stuff like jumping off of things. I sought lots of stimulation. I also used to love textured things and playing with stuff like playdough. I now hate playing with messy substances.

I also had problems with my bladder when i was little. There were also some complications when i was born. My mother carried me really low and when i was born they had problems with things like getting my temperature up. I have also always be picky about my clothes. Cutting tags out and things like that. I was a picky eater too. I would and still do also get stuck on certain foods. It's almost all you can get me to eat when i'm on something.

Change used to "rock my world" as my mother says. I still have problems accepting change. I feell like throwing tantrums when there is change (i doubt that's normal for a highschooler). I am usually pretty rigid about routine. Any change in my day like someone coming into my fencing class that is usually not there puts every nerve on edge. It is almost like i can't control what i say or do. My activity level goes up too. Holidays and other occasions used send me out of control. I would become even more hyper and picked up nervous habits like picking my eyelashes. The decorations around holidays always upset me too. My mom also says that i was not an easy child to be around. I was way too active, had little attention span for activities, and was pretty loud.

I the past year or two i have changed completely. I am over sensetive to pain and I can't stand loud or sudden noises. I have to swing on a swing in the backyard for atleast two or three hours a day. Rocking back and forth on my feet seems to calm me down too if i'm upset, but it is a consious action. I seem to have good and bad days. Some days i'm okay with things like hugs, but other days light touch makes me want to cry. I have always been extremely sensetive to light. I prefer very dim lighting. I am suddenly afraid of heights and movement. My car sickness has increased.

I am extremely ticklish and hygeine has presented quite a problem for me. Things like wearing deorderant or brushing my teeth, which seem easy for most people, seem a bit odd and uncomfortable to me. I also always have and still do hate to have my hair brushed.

I went to a doctor who looked at my sympthoms from when i was little (he clearly forgot to read the memo that my sympthoms have changed) who said that i had adhd and ocd. He was pretty clueless about learning disabilities though. This is also the doctor who said he could look at me and tell i had ocd because of the way i dressed. I was wearing my school uniform at the time. Why would someone volunteer to wear those hideous plaid skirts and saddle oxfords? I may have some ocd tendencies, but they may be a result of a need for perfection resulting from my giftedness. I don't count stairs or anything, i just have silly things like i can only use one side of my eraser and everything has a place. You can move anything of your's, but if you move my pencil or something, i have to move it back the way i had it.

I never did things like walk on my toes. In fact, i used to love to go barefoot, but now i have to wear shoes if i go outside the house. I do have a few engineers on family though. I don't flap my hands or anything like that. I do keep a rubberband on my wrist to fidget with. I make pretty good eye contact. Small talk is hard for me but i am learning. I want to have lots of friends, but most of the time i hate socializing. I find it hard to express my feelings to others. i am not monotonal though. Sometimes facial expressions can be hard for me to understand. I have a very good sense of humer though and good absract thinking.

thanks again, Chickarita :D

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

23 Sep 2006, 10:29 pm

Wow, a wall of text! Almost like a diary! :D I had a lot of the problems you had as well, although to a less degree of extremity (does that make sense?). I only liked change if I was the one doing the changing! When I was little, rage was a problem I had as well. Once, I was playing a particularly hard game (Crash Bandicoot 1, if you must know), but I just kept on dying (the character, not me! :? ). I was already pissed off that I had died so many times, to the point that I was actually shedding tears in frustration, so when I ran out of lives and had to start again three levels earlier, I completely snapped and threw the controller across the room (good thing it was a wired controller). I picked it up, repeated the same thing, and once again, I ran out of lives and started three levels earlier, and so I threw the controller to the ground, breaking my FIFA '98 CD. I screamed in anger and wrenched myself on the bed, punching the pillow (a wise move, as pillows are amazingly hard to break :wink: !).

Any change that I didn't control or know about, and in my mind it was Hiroshima all over again. Over time I've been able to control these violent and disruptive outbursts, to the point where it's almost like I'm growing out of AS (I don't wanna do that!!). As for giftednessness (heheh!), I am pretty good at drawing stuff, and have a specific and picky eye for design (a cursed blessing when drawing). Nothing much else I can say, really, but I wish I did have more!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Chickarita
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2006, 7:10 pm

does anyone know anything else? :(

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 2:22 pm

Take a look at Wikipedia's article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_p ... g_disorder

Some of the symptoms:

Quote:
-Difficulty understanding what people are saying when there's background noise, such as noise at a party or wind on an outdoor hike
-Difficulty following long conversations
-Difficulty hearing conversations on the telephone
-Preferring to learn a foreign language (or challenging vocabulary words, or difficult last names) by learning to read and write the words first, and then learning to hear and speak the words, and then only when the words are spoken slowly
-Difficulty remembering spoken information (i.e., auditory memory deficits)
-Difficulty taking notes
-Difficulty maintaining focus on an activity if other sounds are present; child is easily distracted by other sounds in the environment
-Difficulty with organizational skills
-Difficulty following multi-step directions
-Difficulty in dividing attention
-Difficulty with reading and/or spelling
-Preferring to watch movies with the subtitles or closed-captioning on
-Sensitivity to certain noises (e.g., inability to "tune out" a television on in the background while "tuning in" a conversation with a person).
-Difficulty picking out one musical instrument from a band or orchestra

And also Sensory Integration Dysfunction (SID):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_In ... ysfunction

That article talks about the relationship between AS, ADD and SID.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 2:47 pm

I didn't know SID and CAPD are common in AS. Thanks to all for this information. Maybe I have one of this disorders :?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

28 Sep 2006, 11:53 pm

Disorders? I prefer characteristics over disorders. But then, Asperge'rs Charactersitic's is both a little non-sensical and also a bit too long.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:04 am

i mentioned this in another thread a while back.... maybe it's CAPD?

sometimes when the radio is on or say a CD is playing....

the music sounds all jumbled up to me.... like i can hear the words being said, but they don't really stick together and i can't recognize the song although i know i know the song. and all the diffrent musical components of the song sound out of sync to me... like the music is all unraveled and chaotic...

i have to sit there for an extended period of time and focus on the song and it'll suddenly click and sound perfectly normal to me again...

but it's kind of unsettling when this happens. i've never had an explanation for it.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 8:13 am

I know for a fact that people with AS are extremely smart, but they just have problems with social skills.

In regard to the person who brought up stars, are they joking?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2006, 12:23 pm

You mean "almost any constellation is possible"?

No he wasnt joking.. its a variation on "almost any combination is possible".

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane