I'm a socially awkward nerd: Do I have aspergers?

Page 2 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

MountainLaurel wrote:
Thanks, Bluto. I get most of that, I just don't know how you'd make anything go c x c fast; no don't say; it's just too fast for me to want to contemplate.

Good thing you don't want me to say 'cuz I don't know.

Quote:
Is that a picture of you wearing the Scamper tiara?

Alas, nein.

It's some random lucky guy whom I've scavenged through a google image search who appears to have this person as their girlfriend.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

swbluto wrote:
Btw, I'm still pretty obsessed with categorizing people, I've just become much more gentler and subtle with my approach if I do decide to suggest it.

What have you categorized me as?

Seriously, I'm kinda interested in reading about this.

And nice equation, by the way. I've never seen it written in that form before.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 7:53 pm

OK, cause based on that pic (were it you) I'd have said; You're no aspie in that picture. Oh, and by the way, since you posted a gesture picture which magnificently depicts; I don't know; then you can't be terribly lacking ToM.

I also was thinking that there were other tiaras that had trudge and glide and limpalong on them; alas, non.

ComplexRobot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

Before running around asking if you are an aspie, you should read about what Asperger's Syndrome is in detail and if every point you read, you are like, "that's me!" then you'll know. Otherwise, I'll say you're probably not.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm

ComplexRobot wrote:
Before running around asking if you are an aspie, you should read about what Asperger's Syndrome is in detail and if every point you read, you are like, "that's me!" then you'll know. Otherwise, I'll say you're probably not.

You don't understand. This is swbluto. He has been reading about AS since about the same time I have (7+ months now), and he still can't decide. He has over-analyzed AS more than anyone else I've ever seen on this forum. I know you're just trying to help, but it really isn't that easy.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:06 pm

swbluto wrote:
MountainLaurel wrote:
I don't know whether it's cool. 8O

I don't know what the letters in the equation mean. And I don't know what relativity is. But thanks for sending an equation in a handsome setting.

The law E = mc^2 basically tells you that energy and mass are equivalent. If you some of amount of mass, you could theoretically convert it into energy, which is what nuclear bombs do. E stands for "energy", m stands for mass and c stands for the speed of light. Even though nuclear bombs lose a tiny bit of mass during detonation, the speed of light is so much that when you square it, you end up generating a ton of energy which is why they're able to destroy cities in one blast.

The v in the original equation stands for the velocity, which is the velocity difference between the observer and the thing being observed. It's called "The theory of relativity" because the equation depends on the observer's speed relative to the thing being observed.

Another nerdy factoid about the equation above (with the v and c in it) is that it is what kinetic energy is under special relativity. So, another weird aspect of E=mc^2 is that it means that objects that aren't moving have non-zero kinetic energy.

If I'd derived that I'd have tossed it out as a mistake and had a beer.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

17 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm

SammichEater wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Btw, I'm still pretty obsessed with categorizing people, I've just become much more gentler and subtle with my approach if I do decide to suggest it.

What have you categorized me as?

Seriously, I'm kinda interested in reading about this.

And nice equation, by the way. I've never seen it written in that form before.

Man, I don't know what you are other than you're logical, task-oriented and you seem dedicated to pursuing whatever your goals are and you're most likely intellectually talented. It's hard to distinguish AS personality traits in guys online because, unless you're obviously very socially naive and take things very literally, you could just be, personality wise, a regular guy.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm

SammichEater wrote:
You don't understand. This is swbluto. He has been reading about AS since about the same time I have (7+ months now), and he still can't decide. He has over-analyzed AS more than anyone else I've ever seen on this forum. I know you're just trying to help, but it really isn't that easy.

7 months is not a long time at all for self-analyzing when it comes to AS. I know I personally spent almost a decade doing so and was not sure until I got my diagnosis 9 years after I was told that I likely had Asperger's.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:31 pm

SammichEater wrote:
ComplexRobot wrote:

I've looked through the criteria, and I can see how some of it applies and I could see how some of it wouldn't and my parents are both neurotypical (Though my mom is a math whiz and my dad is a talented technology worker, which both fields are associated with autism), but when I first read wikipedia's "autism/aspergers" page, it felt like a revelation and there's another person I know who's fairly neurotypical who keeps pointing out "differences" that seem to be fairly autistic when I investigate them and I seem to make social blunders quite often that I'm largely unaware of beforehand (And am usually puzzled about afterwards). I also seem to lack some sort of rapport with my peers and there's a gap that I can't really seem to bridge no matter how hard I try (or don't try) and I often have trouble understanding what other people "mean" (I can hear the words and I can decode them, but I often don't "get them".) in everyday contexts, although I can understand my professors well, and I obviously have troubles understanding what people find "creepy" or not, even when I have a lot of time to figure it out. I'm not stereotypically "aspergian" because I don't have the required normal speech development, so I'm guessing there's a good chance if I am autistic, I'd probably be considered "pdd-nos". But, based on all the evidence so far, I'm guessing I'm probably closer to the schizophrenic spectrum.

I'm currently getting memory and IQ tested through a proctor who's evaluating me for ADHD (I don't think I have ADHD, btw -- I did far too well on the working memory subtests of the WAIS) and I plan on comparing the results of that to a mental disorders table I've created in my mental disorders thread to see what I might have, if anything. It just seems like I've had far too many misunderstandings, made/make too many social "errors" and have too little rapport with other people to not have *something*.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 11:47 pm

Why do you think you are closer to the schizophrenia spectrum than the autism spectrum?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

If being a math nerd were a requirement, then you are not an Aspie. (Not saying you aren't. Just saying math nerd or not is irrelevant.)

If you were a true math nerd, you would already know that Einstein was wrong. ( :P Razzing. Not to be taken seriously.)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 65,00.html

No the research doesn't prove it unequivocally, but the fact is, Einstein's entire theory (remember, that's t-h-e-o-r-y - which means it has never been proven) of relativity all began with one imaginary trip he took in his own head while looking at a clock. If you read about that imagined trip, and what he imagined seeing, his thoughts about it contain a fatal flaw. You seem to like puzzles like this. I'm wondering if you can figure out what it is.

Seriously, I think maybe you can. I'm not trying to trap you. I'm really wondering if someone else can pick up on the flaw in his logic besides me.

It has to do with imagining watching a clock slow down as one speeds away from it approaching the speed of light. His logic was that because the clock appears to slow down, time is slowing down for the traveler.

His entire set of mathematical equations began with this "vision." If his explanation of what is happening in this "vision," is flawed, so is every equation based on it.

Can you spot the flaw in his logic?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 12:04 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Why do you think you are closer to the schizophrenia spectrum than the autism spectrum?

I scored very low on measures that measure "rigidity" in autism tests and I seemed to get along with peers just fine when I was younger (I think?). I also seem to be "different" than most people here in ways that doesn't seem to be simply due to "normal autistic variation", and my fairly high IQ, social isolation and past avoidant personality disorder seems like it predisposes me to schizophrenia. I also seem to have some "negative symptoms" and I noticed I'm getting distracted by things in my vision that aren't there more often, like specks or things like "was that a ball over there? nope.". There are also a few other things I've noticed that suggest I might be developing the positive symptoms, like I can sometimes almost hear my thoughts.

It might just be a simple language disorder of some sort and the memory test should reveal if that's the case.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 12:09 am

MrXxx wrote:
If being a math nerd were a requirement, then you are not an Aspie. (Not saying you aren't. Just saying math nerd or not is irrelevant.)

If you were a true math nerd, you would already know that Einstein was wrong. ( :P Razzing. Not to be taken seriously.)

No the research doesn't prove it unequivocally, but the fact is, Einstein's entire theory (remember, that's t-h-e-o-r-y - which means it has never been proven) of relativity all began with one imaginary trip he took in his own head while looking at a clock. If you read about that imagined trip, and what he imagined seeing, his thoughts about it contain a fatal flaw. You seem to like puzzles like this. I'm wondering if you can figure out what it is.

Seriously, I think maybe you can. I'm not trying to trap you. I'm really wondering if someone else can pick up on the flaw in his logic besides me.

It has to do with imagining watching a clock slow down as one speeds away from it approaching the speed of light. His logic was that because the clock appears to slow down, time is slowing down for the traveler.

His entire set of mathematical equations began with this "vision." If his explanation of what is happening in this "vision," is flawed, so is every equation based on it.

Lol, me outsmart Einstein when none of his competing intellectual titans on his day (Such as Heisenberg) were able to do so? I don't think that's happening, lol.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 12:11 am

swbluto wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
ComplexRobot wrote:

I've looked through the criteria, and I can see how some of it applies and I could see how some of it wouldn't and my parents are both neurotypical (Though my mom is a math whiz and my dad is a talented technology worker, which both fields are associated with autism), but when I first read wikipedia's "autism/aspergers" page, it felt like a revelation and there's another person I know who's fairly neurotypical who keeps pointing out "differences" that seem to be fairly autistic when I investigate them and I seem to make social blunders quite often that I'm largely unaware of beforehand (And am usually puzzled about afterwards). I also seem to lack some sort of rapport with my peers and there's a gap that I can't really seem to bridge no matter how hard I try (or don't try) and I often have trouble understanding what other people "mean" (I can hear the words and I can decode them, but I often don't "get them".) in everyday contexts, although I can understand my professors well, and I obviously have troubles understanding what people find "creepy" or not, even when I have a lot of time to figure it out. I'm not stereotypically "aspergian" because I don't have the required normal speech development, so I'm guessing there's a good chance if I am autistic, I'd probably be considered "pdd-nos". But, based on all the evidence so far, I'm guessing I'm probably closer to the schizophrenic spectrum.

I'm currently getting memory and IQ tested through a proctor who's evaluating me for ADHD (I don't think I have ADHD, btw -- I did far too well on the working memory subtests of the WAIS) and I plan on comparing the results of that to a mental disorders table I've created in my mental disorders thread to see what I might have, if anything. It just seems like I've had far too many misunderstandings, made/make too many social "errors" and have too little rapport with other people to not have *something*.

Head to head.
My curiousity is piqued.

Short of hallucinations, is there a spectrum that exists where people have traits of schizophrenia, aside from the hallmarked delusions?-- (barring Simple.)

I know or am aware of "Simple" as sharing the negative side of this disorder. I could see a spectrum here. But this has onset features, it develops in time to a more withdrawn debilitating condition.

What is a schizophrenic *spectrum* ( disorder)?

Explain.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 12:18 am

Mdyar wrote:
swbluto wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
ComplexRobot wrote:

Head to head.
My curiousity is piqued.

Short of hallucinations, is there a spectrum that exists where people have traits of schizophrenia, aside from the hallmarked delusions?-- (barring Simple.)

I know or am aware of "Simple" as sharing the negative side of this disorder. I could see a spectrum here. But this has onset features, it develops in time to a more withdrawn debilitating condition.

What is a schizophrenic *spectrum* ( disorder)?

Explain.

Well, you know there are negative symptoms and positive symptoms associated with schizophrenia. Any combination of those symptoms of any given severity characterizes the "schizophrenic spectrum", which includes the various subtypes of schizophrenia (Like catatonic, delusional, paranoid, etc.), schizoid personality disorder and schizotypal personality disorder. I'd imagine you could be fairly close to being schizophrenic without actually qualifying for a diagnosis of some sort, which I'd consider to be "near the schizophrenic spectrum".

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 12:21 am

swbluto wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Lol, me outsmart Einstein when none of his competing intellectual titans on his day (Such as Heisenberg) were able to do so? I don't think that's happening, lol.

Okay, think about it. The only reason the clock appears to be slowing is because you're traveling closer and closer to the speed of light, so it's taking longer for the light to "catch up" to you, right? Eventually, you reach the speed of light, and the clock appears to stop, because you are seeing the same image as it travels through space with you.

Follow so far?

Now, Einstein was surmising that because of this, time itself was slowing, and eventually stopping for the traveler. But it's nothing but a matter of perspective. Time is not relative. The perspective of the traveler is relative.

If time really were slowing down for the traveler, then exceeding the speed of light (you have to forget for a moment that Einsteins theory says you can't do that, but that's okay, because we're already on the way to proving it's wrong anyway) would cause the clock to reverse. Trouble is, it doesn't reverse. It just disappears!

It disappears because the light from the clock can no longer catch up to the traveler, thus the traveler can no longer see it.

The fact is, the guy the traveler left behind, standing right next to the clock can easily tell you the clock never slowed down at all. It's nothing more than warped perspectives.

Time itself isn't even a real thing. We don't measure time. We measure movements of things as compared to movements of other things in motion. A clock's hour hand simply spins around twelve times twice for every single rotation of the earth. What if both are slowing down and speeding up at the same rates? You'd never know it!

Dig a little deeper into those thoughts, and they can be used to prove that time travel is not, and never will be possible.

Have fun with that!

(Maybe some other time though. I don't want to split this topic any more than I already have! :wink: )

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Last edited by MrXxx on 18 Oct 2011, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.