What is/was high school like for you, AS people?

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
In year 7 I was afraid of my own shadow

when i was much younger (about 5 or 6) i became annoyed that i had a shadow. it followed me everywhere i went (especially outside) , and i tried to run at it and stomp on it's head, but it always outmaneuvered me, and i was left having to accept it's presence no matter how much i was counter to the idea of cohabitation with it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 10:39 am

b9 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

when i was much younger (about 5 or 6) i became annoyed that i had a shadow. it followed me everywhere i went (especially outside) , and i tried to run at it and stomp on it's head, but it always outmaneuvered me, and i was left having to accept it's presence no matter how much i was counter to the idea of cohabitation with it.

i was also irritated by my shadow. i became convinced that i could feel it dragging along the ground and tried to extricate myself from its grip through various means.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

hyperlexian wrote:
b9 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

i was also irritated by my shadow. i became convinced that i could feel it dragging along the ground
and tried to extricate myself from its grip through various means.

i do not really understand. i just know that i wanted to kill my shadow, but i could never think of a way to do so. i tried and tried, and maybe pictures and songs that i have made express in some way my approach to being helpless as to something as simple (notionally) as my control over my shadow.

actually i have lots to say, but i am tired, so i must not say anything else.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

High school was pretty bad. I got along with maybe 20% of the girls and didn't get along with 99.9% of the guys.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:23 pm

oh, and as to the OP, my high school experience was actually better than my junior high exerience. even though i was anorexic and depressed (and i eventually dropped out), i didn't experience the same extent of bullying that i had previously in school. i even had some friends for a while. i went to a school for performing and visual arts so that made it less painful i think. i could be weird and it was sort of ok.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:04 pm

High school sucked. I didn't get *a lot* of bullying, thankfully, but I was marginalized, ignored, left out, etc. I guess I should be thankful I wasn't bullied much, but it makes you feel invisible when everyone ignores you..

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

VMSmith wrote:
i didnt like highschool or primary and i dont think i liked preschool either.

On my very first day of preschool I was rejected by the little girls when I asked if I could play with them. Possibly this set the standard for the rest of my preschool and primary school years....

Orcist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2011, 2:51 pm

My years in high school were completely unremarkable. I don't even remember what I did for the four years is was in HS and I graduated just last year.

To everyone else, I was pretty much invisible.

Last edited by Orcist on 27 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:52 pm

I understood my shadow was attached to my feet so I would attempt to stand on one foot whilst trying to tear or rip the shadow from the bottom of the remaining foot. I was not successful.

I did not enjoy secondary school at all as there were too many disruptive pupils and I just sat at the back hoping to melt away.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

The amount of bullying that people wenth through here is shocking!
I have always wondered why it is said that people with Aspergers have less empathy than NT's while it's the so called 'normal crowd' who are giving people who are different such a hard time.

I was not the most popular girl in high school but I was never bullied. I'm quite feminine now but when I was in high school I was this tough, angry and slightly weird tomboy that nobody dared to mess with. I always had an aptitude for learning and I got some good grades despite of the fact that I hardly showed up at school. I think that the teachers and some of my classmates left me alone because they thought I was a a lost cause anyway. I have no other explanation for it. I did have a small group of friends when I was in high school but they where different from the rest as well, that was probably the reason why they accepted me in the first place.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

I was bullied pretty much from when I started school to when I finished school. High School was the worst - death threats, locked in store room, rumours spread about me, never called by my name, socially excluded on all occasions possible, isolated, threats of being beaten up, even my Head of Year joined in..... couldn't wait to leave school.
I didn't fit in. I didn't care (still don't) about pop bands, make-up, fashions, discos etc. I liked (still do) teaching myself things - science stuff and languages and reading about the world.

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm

teach me how not to care k

:)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 6:05 pm

Even though my high school experience was pretty good, I would still prefer to be have been homeschooled. I feel like the high school learning experience was too rigid, boring, and slow. I would have enjoyed learning on my own at home. Also, going to school required getting up too early in the morning, and there was sensory overload too.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Oct 2011, 6:17 pm

My teachers are really student oriented, so they're more like best friends than authority figures. And it works.

The students though... I wish I had a volume remote. :lol:

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:01 pm

pokerface wrote:
The amount of bullying that people wenth through here is shocking!
I have always wondered why it is said that people with Aspergers have less empathy than NT's while it's the so called 'normal crowd' who are giving people who are different such a hard time.

I was not the most popular girl in high school but I was never bullied. I'm quite feminine now but when I was in high school I was this tough, angry and slightly weird tomboy that nobody dared to mess with. I always had an aptitude for learning and I got some good grades despite of the fact that I hardly showed up at school. I think that the teachers and some of my classmates left me alone because they thought I was a a lost cause anyway. I have no other explanation for it. I did have a small group of friends when I was in high school but they where different from the rest as well, that was probably the reason why they accepted me in the first place.

I wasn't really bullied in HS either. That's what middle school was for. I was still a weirdo in HS, but I guess I had more confidence and had decided I was gonna make people laugh WITH me vs. AT me. The worst part about HS for me was misunderstanding my sexuality and never going out to parties or anything. I feel like I really wasted my youth.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 5:32 am

hyperlexian wrote:
b9 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

i was also irritated by my shadow. i became convinced that i could feel it dragging along the ground and tried to extricate myself from its grip through various means.

No, I meant emotionally. Well, I still am now, but in a different way, if you know what I mean. I'm more afraid of people and their thoughts and intentions now, whereas back then I was just afraid of things like getting into trouble because I wanted to do everything right and be a goodie-goodie. I never cared what other people thought of me. But now I'm just scared of other people.