What is/was high school like for you, AS people?

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

daveydino
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2011, 6:05 am

High school was actually a lot of fun for me. I didn't like the teachers or the subjects very much, but I made quick friends with any classmates I had, which was kind of necessary, given the amount of times I've changed high schools. I've honestly never been bullied, and was actually usually at the giving end of the teasing or bullying. With that experience, it's excruciatingly easy to tell that most of your problems could easily have been solved by just standing up to your bullies. I don't know how it is for others, but the way you act makes you almost perfect for bullying. Pure satisfaction.
All in all, every year of kindergarten, preschool, middle school and high school were pure enjoyment for me, save for the academic expectations. I guess I made myself stand out. In a good way. I have a craving for attention that's everlasting and being ignored physically hurts me. So that drove me to being what I am.

loobyloukitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

lasted like 9 months at the most. got chucked out. was completley misterptated. was really builled. had girls standing outside my house shouting things and swearing at my parents. i was off school for a year and it was very frustrating, i was banging my head on my bedroom wall. then i went to special school where i felt a bit more understood and recently i got a diagonis last week for aspergers and i go to university where they really understand me. its sometimes werid and scary cause they know more than i do about what might happen next.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

Hell on Earth, is the best way to sum it up. Disliked and ridiculed by one and all, and in fear for my well-being to the point where I could not go into the boys' room, and I'd hold in all day; causing bladder infections, kidney trouble and prostatitis by age 18.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden where Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow

29 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

High school was sheer hell for me. I couldn't stand the attitude the girls had or the Valley Talk that they did. They were backstabbers. The guys weren't much better. They were nasty towards students who were different and sounded different. They treated me like a loser and mocked my speech for their own entertainment. The students of both genders had this idea that if you don't change, you're defective. I've faked being a hippie the last two years of my high school career to trick my bullies of both genders into thinking that I've changed.

Kanye West 2020

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

flyingdutchman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2011, 4:20 pm

My high school years were very painful. I think I had about 1.5 good years, mostly the last years. Maybe it gets better when you get older I thought, but nowadays, it seems I was wrong. At least the last year was OK and quite relaxed with some good friends.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2011, 6:55 pm

Middle school was a nightmare. The only good part was getting out.

High school for the most part wasn't very memorable. That's exactly how I wanted it. I did pretty well academically. I made a really good friend junior year. We're Facebook friends now. But for the most part, I kept to myself. I collected Barbies and read a lot. The worst thing about high school was falling for someone who didn't care about me. There was some teasing, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was in middle school.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Oct 2011, 8:06 pm

I didn't enjoy it from age 11 to age 16.

Fragmented
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2011, 4:32 am

High school sucked. Too lazy to get good grades, but I aced every test. Had good rapport with all the teachers but the science teacher who thought I was lazy, and I guess I was so you know.

The most awkward part is sitting there while everyone hands in their homework and I'm just chillin' with nothing done. Between doing no homework and having major insomnia, which meant that I would sleep in every class, people didn't like me.

I was kind of infamous actually. People who I had no clue who they were would say my name, perhaps not to actually be mean, but as I was sensitive about my name, I'd assume they were being jerks and would either ignore them or use a few choice obscenities. Had a couple people who I hung out with. Had bad hygiene skills, but no one ever mentioned it. Always wore all black.

I'd say my ideas and people would ask what I was on, so I always got the impression that my ideas were like, crazy. So I spent most of my time worrying that I was going crazy because I wasn't accepting of my diagnosis. And of course because of my diagnosis and my laziness I was in special ed classes with people who were not anywhere near as high functioning as I was, which didn't help my fears.

I was frustrated and angry a lot, so my parents and I fought every single night. Money troubles. Academic failure and social failure. Spec Ed. teachers who tried to label me as a sociopath and failed to give me any sort of useful help. The list of hellish hell goes on and on, and it was not pleasant.

Middle school was hell, High school was hell, and all throughout both of them I was told it was going to get better. It never got better.

Aspie Score: 170 of 200
NT Score: 37 of 200

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 8:12 am

Socially my experience of school was a living hell.
- I had no friends
- I knew I had no chance of having any friends
- I knew I was 'different' and that the other kids just didn't like me, but I didn't know why
- I was one of the tallest in my year/grade, so I was never physically bullied
- But the psychological bullying/tormenting was relentless

Athletically I did quite well
- I was on the swim 'team' but mostly competed in individual events
- I don't remember being beaten in breast-stroke
-Took up running at 14 and at my peak was running 3 miles in 14 minutes
- Managed to avoid 'team' sports, which were my idea of athletic hell

Academically I was a straight A student in Math, Sciences and foreign languages and didn't have to work very hard for it.

But I really struggled with English! (as a subject and with processing verbal information from others)
- I had no developmental delay with my spoken language and would talk incessantly given the opportunity

No one seemed to question how I could be top of the class in French and German and be utterly lost with English 'comprehension' and poetry!

No one questioned how I could be top of the class in Math and be unable to follow verbal instructions or even conversations.

I had/have the common Autistic trait of a very formal and prosaic language, which may have had the effect of masking my very weak verbal comprehension.

I figure 2 (academic and athletic) out of 3 is not so bad and I was probably one of the lucky ones.
- Academic exam scores and competitive swimming/running times are absolutes that are independent of social endorsement.

As a High School student, In my spare time at home (I had a lot of spare time) I used to read the World Atlas, study maps and dream about being somewhere else, anywhere else other than the living hell that I had been sentenced to.

Agree with earlier posters regarding home school. It would have probably been my salvation! But I survived and I am here :-)

For me, attending school was an unfortunate and unpleasant distraction.
- I could have self studied and still been a A student
- I needed no help with my swimming or running
- and I could have done this without the dread, torment and horror of my 'social' experiences at school

I wouldn't wish my experiences of school on my worst enemy - it was quite simply 'Cruel and unusual punishment'

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

School was just hell for me i didn't like one single thing about it once i finished school then things were better.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

High school was odd for me. I had a pretty nice class, with decent people and good enough teachers. I used to hang out with one classmate during the lessons and the breaks. We weren't friends or so but I did as she told me and I wasn't bullied to much either. So high school was pretty much a bleak time. I suppose I was on the outside of the group but not so far away they saw me as a freak.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

I'm the quiet guy who does his homework in class to maximize efficiency. Even if my athletic abilities were increased tenfold, I still wouldn't be able to try out for the football team, but when someone needs help with their calculus problems, I'm the first person to ask. This has bought me enough respect in class so that I can get on with my life without problems from other students. The majority of my teachers think I'm a Godsend in their class, which is especially helpful as they tend to be more lenient towards me when issues arise.

Last edited by SammichEater on 30 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

High School was mind-numbingly tedious, primarily because I was very nihilistic back then. I managed to go through each grade without much effort, until I was 17 and stopped trying entirely. I eventually dropped out when I was 18.
I never had any friends and I never tried to make any. The few times someone made plans to meet outside of school hours I was incredibly bored the whole time and never agreed to meet with that person afterwards.
In school there were a few groups I would stand or sit by but that was because I'd found that sitting by myself only raised annoying questions. I faked interest and exchanged pleasantries whenever I could be bothered but apart from 1 irritating person most people gladly left me alone.

All in all, it was a waste of 6 years and the only thing I learned was that I'm pretty good at English (which I learned prior to attending High School).

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2011, 7:31 pm

so what happened with your nihilism

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 7:58 pm

Not really bad at all. I most certainly wasn't popular, didn't really make any new friends, but I still had my cousins, who were used to me, and nobody bullied me. I would have liked to have been able to attract boys, but it didn't work. (I did find a husband, much, much later.)

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 4:20 am

I don't think anyone in high school ever innitiated a conversation with me.