Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Oct 2011, 10:09 am

I have had my current pair for 4 years now and they have become part of my identity...how do I adjust to a new pair? I am worried about how they will look because my eyes were dialated when I picked them out...eeek. Everyone said they looked good on me...but I couldn't see that for myself.

I dont know how I will cope with this...any ideas on how to adjust to new glasses. It is such a change for me which I dont cope well to.

Jojo

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

Many places, like Lense Crafters in the U.S. will allow you to return or exchange a pair of glasses, although they don't always advertise this fact. This is more of a fall back position if needed.

Maybe dress up and go to a public place you like that has mirrors like the mall or the airport? (I like the airport, I realize not everyone does) So this way, you're kind of giving yourself a chance to warm to the new glasses.

PJango
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm

Is there any way you can go earlier and pick a frame out before you get dilated? OR get the paper prescription and go back another day, when your eyes have adjusted back to normal (for me, it takes an overnight to be back to normal).

If you are interested in sticking with the same look, check with the staff to see if the manufacturer makes the same frame. My son lucked out, in that the manufacturer made his same frame, so he got the very same kind that he had been used to.

I have bad vision and it's hard to pick out something new when I can't see to begin with! So what I do is have someone snap a photo with their cell phone and then toggle through them to see yourself. Some glasses places do this as a service - one place I recall puts up four photos of you on a grid, and you can select or deselect as you wish - up to four at a time.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

25 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

Thank you 2. I will check and see if the place I got it done at does exchanges. and I LOVE the photo idea. I never thought of that before.
Usually I pick out glasses before my appt, but I didnt think about it, plus I was running alittle late. I had to give my new patient info paperwork to mom to fill out cuz they took me back to my exam before I could get them done.

thanks...so much.
I also love idea about the manefactur..ordering the same glasses.

There is nothing wrong with my frames I have on now. I wonder if I really dont like my new pair if I could just give them my current frames for my second pair?

Jojo

PJango
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

jojobean wrote:
There is nothing wrong with my frames I have on now. I wonder if I really dont like my new pair if I could just give them my current frames for my second pair?

you can always ask, however, I'm fairly certain they wouldn't recommend it ... for one thing, you would get no warranty on the old frames, and if they are four years old, they'll probably be reluctant to do that for you.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

I don't know, man! Glasses always hurt my ears, that's why I got Lasik done. I cannot stand the agony of wearing them.

Even though it hurt like hell getting my cornea flaps scraped back, in the long run, I found it much easier because now I don't have to worry about how each pair of glasses will fit. I was able to put up with it, surprisingly. I did not flinch when the laser busily sculpted away at correcting my impairments. I can't believe how easy it was, though the second eye was much harder than the first because I knew what to expect. It did hurt the first couple of days at home, then I had to go back to the Lasik center to get a check up and no one would drive me up there. I ended up driving myself.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 25 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJango
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Many places, like Lense Crafters in the U.S. will allow you to return or exchange a pair of glasses, although they don't always advertise this fact.

I have to tell you a little story about Lens Crafters - my FIL was in hospice with not too long to live, yet he (having dementia) had lost his glasses. I took him to Lens Crafters because the guy loved to read to himself/by himself and they outfitted him with a brand new pair.

FIL died a couple months later and I walked in with these barely used glasses to donate (they have great programs for the homeless and other peoples). They offered, since it was less than 90 days, to refund his money in full! wow, blew me away.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 11:25 pm

Pjango.....ya I guess I have to lay mine to rest...they been the best pair I ever had, never had to be adjusted or anything.
Great story about lenscrafters though...that is awseome. I might get my second pair there just based on what they did for your FIL.

OAnaO......I had seven eye surgeries for lazy eye....long before they used lazer. I dont want to go through that again.
but I am glad that worked you you.

ASPERAMBER
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2011, 1:29 am

I was excited to get my glasses the first time and I always look forward to getting new frames and looking great!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 4:14 am

It will be a change, and will likely make you temporarily uncomfortable, but with time you will adjust to it. It really only takes time; you can't rush it, and can't force it, but the adjustment should be inevitable.

For me, it takes a week to adjust to new glasses, but only because I've done it so many times. My prescription is constantly changing because my eyes are getting worse as I get older. I have been told that my eyes should stop changing so much eventually; but I'm twenty-eight now and it still hasn't stabilized.

Just give it time; it'll be okay. After a while it won't feel so foreign anymore.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 6:26 am

jojo, if you like your old glasses so much, why not get new lenses put in the old frames?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

For progressive lenses, which I don't like anyway, I think Lens Crafters might still lightly etch LC and a number onto the lense itself, two places on each lense, although not in the field of vision.

(I'm sorry I didn't think to include this earlier. This might bother some people but not others.)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:00 am

Burnbridge wrote:
jojo, if you like your old glasses so much, why not get new lenses put in the old frames?
I've got that done a couple of times, but the old frames are often out of production after a while, which means the lens shapes are out of production too. It's just a matter of luck whether you can get the same frames again. And that's if you can identify the old frames exactly--any identifying information is usually worn off from daily use by the time you switch prescriptions.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2011, 6:28 am

If you still have your old pair of glasses, take those in and compare them to the ones there. The last time I had to get new ones, I found frames there were almost completely identical to the ones that I used to have, and then the time before I was in luck and they had a set of frames in stock that were of what I had before.