How plausible is it that I have Asperger's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CoreyX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm

Alright, so I'm 16, a guy. I'm new to this forum, and signed up because I'm investigating the possibly that I have Asperger's. And due to the fact that I was homeschooled until last year and my parents kind of ignored my abnormalities, I'm having to try and decipher what is wrong with me now. I had accepted them as simple differences, and not actual psychological problems myself, until I realized that I have moderate Tourette's syndrome, which I'm now in the process of an official diagnosis. Bear in mind that I know a forum can't replace a doctor, but there's no possibility that I could talk to a doctor, or even my parents about my social and psychological issues. I just need to know with more certainty what is wrong with me.

Ever since I was a young child, I was extremely shy. And not in a mild sense, I mean borderline selective mute, and I still am. I only speak when I'm spoken to in school, and all my friends (I think they could be considered friends, but I'm uncertain) make me well aware that I never talk. I usually only respond when I'm spoken to in very short sentences. I'm pretty sure that I have a significant amount of social anxiety as well, which I dismissed these problems as that for a while. But I noticed that even when I'm calm I still can't think of anything to say. There's so much going on in my head, I suppose I just get lost in that, and it never occurs to me to ever say anything, unless it's triggered by someone talking to me directly. I can't simply interject myself into a conversation, that's a nearly impossible feat.

But this is where I really started to think I have it, and simple social anxiety can't explain my problem. I got drunk with these guys, not wasted, but pretty drunk, to the point I didn't care what I was doing. But I remember even then, I was struggling to think of what to say, and couldn't function in conversation, still only when I'm spoken to directly. I'm pretty much socially ret*d, for the most part.

So that's the social side of my problem, and there's other parts as well. I noticed that things like loud chewing and coughing infuriating me to the point of wanting to strangle the person doing it. I get incredibly pissed off, and I even realize that the anger is irrational and uncalled for, but reason can't change the fact that I have to leave and punch things to release my anger.

I also did "rituals" when I was littler, like different things when I entered a certain room I'd have to do a certain thing, for example. I've now pretty much grown out of that. But I'm often happiest alone, but there's still a great loneliness that haunts me when I'm alone.

Also, I often get on a topic of interest, and can't break from that for a very long time. And when I want something, it's all I can think about till I get it. I have a one track mind, basically.

I can't think of all of the symptoms I've procured over my research, but lastly I consider myself a logical and rational person in almost every way. I apply logic and reason to almost everything I do.

So, do you think I have Aspergers? Also keep in mind, I don't wanna portray myself as one of those people who look online and think they have a bunch of stuff, exaggeratedly. These things, most prominently the social issues, hinder my life in a significant way that I really struggle with. But at the same time I have this almost irrational love for life that I don't consider common in people with barely any friends and so much loneliness. Sometimes alone on my computer I'm almost in an ecstatic state.

Any comment or advice would be appreciated. :)

ASPERAMBER
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2011, 11:44 pm

You could have AS or classic autism, but I detect some Obsessive Compulsive Disorder there also. Were you born socially impaired or did you experience any childhood trauma of any kind?

ASPERAMBER
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2011, 11:48 pm

ASPERAMBER
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2011, 11:50 pm

http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-autism.html

That's info for Autistic Disorder. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 11:53 pm

Sounds like it's quite plausible, to me.

CoreyX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info guys. One thing that I don't quite understand in the Autistic and Aspies is, do you guys WANT to make friends and socialize, or no? Because I definitely want friends, and to be able to socialize in a relaxed and easy manner. Most definitely I want a girlfriend. When I get a crush on a girl it kills me, it's such torture. I can't even dream of approaching them or actually talking, because I wouldn't know what to say. Even if I did, I couldn't say it. But I can talk online completely fine, which strikes me as odd. I guess it's just the extra time you get to think about what to say online that makes the difference.

But anyway, I read your guys' links and I'm fairly sure I do have some level of Asperger's (or possibly Autism). But the problem is, I cannot tell my parents. I think they think my social life is decent. I mean they know I'm shy, but I don't talk about feelings, emotions, significant problems, or anything deep with anyone. Only online via text. Even email my parents would be impossible. It's just off limits to me, I can't do it. But if I did get diagnosed, is there anything the doctors could even do? I really want help, maybe a therapist or something, but I just can't talk about this stuff.
Obviously there's no easy option, but any advice?

EDIT: Oh and ASPERAMBER. Not that I can think of. I lived an isolated and I guess simple childhood. All I had to socialize with is my brother and parents, who I could talk to pretty easy, but I can't talk to my brother anymore without anxiety.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2011, 4:22 pm

CoreyX wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. One thing that I don't quite understand in the Autistic and Aspies is, do you guys WANT to make friends and socialize, or no? Because I definitely want friends, and to be able to socialize in a relaxed and easy manner. Most definitely I want a girlfriend. When I get a crush on a girl it kills me, it's such torture. I can't even dream of approaching them or actually talking, because I wouldn't know what to say. Even if I did, I couldn't say it. But I can talk online completely fine, which strikes me as odd. I guess it's just the extra time you get to think about what to say online that makes the difference.

But anyway, I read your guys' links and I'm fairly sure I do have some level of Asperger's (or possibly Autism). But the problem is, I cannot tell my parents. I think they think my social life is decent. I mean they know I'm shy, but I don't talk about feelings, emotions, significant problems, or anything deep with anyone. Only online via text. Even email my parents would be impossible. It's just off limits to me, I can't do it. But if I did get diagnosed, is there anything the doctors could even do? I really want help, maybe a therapist or something, but I just can't talk about this stuff.
Obviously there's no easy option, but any advice?

EDIT: Oh and ASPERAMBER. Not that I can think of. I lived an isolated and I guess simple childhood. All I had to socialize with is my brother and parents, who I could talk to pretty easy, but I can't talk to my brother anymore without anxiety.

I do, definitely. Though I like being alone, I don't want to be alone all the time.

If you get a diagnosis, you could be put on meds to help with the anxiety. Even if you don't want to do that, I think it'd be easier to get therapy with a diagnosis as well. But, that's just my two cents.