Page 4 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

nz3385
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2013, 11:08 pm

beautifullight wrote:
I was born at 3lbs 1 oz and dropped to 2 lbs 14oz after. Main thing was not prematurity it was my deceased twin and the fact that I was dying and vigorously removed from my mom with forceps. I had an apgar score of 1. Not a good start. But I here. I have diagnosed with Aspergers, NLD and ADD. and I am AWESOME! :)

Yes there is scientific info showing link between birth issues and autism spectrum.

I was just over 2 pounds at birth (born 3 months early) and had an identical twin brother who died at 5 days old. Luckily, I managed not to have any serious physical problems (at least not so far), but I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult. Even before I was tested I was wondering if my social difficulties could have been influenced or caused by the premature birth itself, or on a subconscious psychological level from either losing a twin or not having much close contact with people during my first few months.

TheWebbz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2013, 11:49 pm

I was born a month early, 5lbs

But my brother, who has a more severe case of autism was born at the normal date weighing 7lbs.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 12:44 am

I have classic autism, and I definitely wasn't premature. I was quite late, and wasn't even born in the MONTH I was due. I was born about 2 weeks late, and weighed 8 lbs and 5 ounces.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 12:53 am

I was born 8 weeks early at 4.5lbs, my mother water broke at 32 weeks and she began bleeding, so doctors removed me via C-Section. I was a sickly child too early on.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 1:13 am

I was over a month early, but at 7 lbs 8 oz. I was a healthy-sized baby. Mom couldn't figure why I was so early back then (1960) but now the doctors would probably say Mom had gestational diabetes (she put on 40 lbs while preggers with me). That would explain my size for being so early. The due date is for sure because Mom says she can pinpoint when she got pregnant -- her wedding night.

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2013, 2:15 am

2 months early, 4lbs.

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2013, 2:16 am

2 months early, 4lbs.

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2013, 2:29 am

Nope I wa born fifteen days late weighing 7lbs. I developed just like every other kid until I got my MMR when I was two. After that I stopped breathing and was in hospital fighting something ( no doubt the mercury in the vaccine) and after that I regressed! I was back in nappies even though I'd been trained for three or four months. I was crying a lot of the time. I became really weak- needed three fingers to support a pencil- and I started linung things up. I think it's clear that my As wasn't caused by my birth.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

I was born three weeks early and weighed about 6.5 pounds. I got chubby a few months later and lost weight later when I learned to walk.

Lavenders
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Mar 2013, 12:16 am

I was born at 28 weeks and weighed 2 lbs 11 oz, which went down to 1 lb 15 oz at one point. I was in an incubator for 3 months, in the local hospital in a city of 24,000 that did not have any special equipment geared toward premature babies: instead, I was watched 24 hours a day. When I stopped breathing the nurse would flick my chest with her fingers. That was the summer of 1969 - low tech care, but it was successful. I was small for my age until about four, but very healthy. I started talking and reading very early, but was quite late learning to walk. I guess I figured crawling was good enough, haha.

? Oscar Wilde

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 1:11 am

I was born earlier than the due date, but can't remember how many days so. I weighed ~2.95kg, which is pretty normal. I have no idea whether AS has anything to do with it.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 4:02 am

I was a preemie born at 26 weeks and weighing 1 lb 9 oz, spent four months in hospital before going home on my intended due date as a matter of fact. There has been speculation that there is a link between autism and premature birth but to my knowledge there have been no real studies done.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 4:41 am

Two weeks late and over 10 pounds, I was a fatty :lol:

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 6:18 am

I was born on time and weighed 3620 kilograms.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 6:27 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I was born four months early at 26 weeks, weighing in at 1 lb 9oz, and spent the remaining four months until my original intended due date in an incubator. At one point or another I had hole in the heart, brain bleed, and a collapsed right lung. I was on a ventilator until almost a year old, so it's fairly impossible to say which, if any of those things caused my AS. I did read in a book about autism that a suspected cause might be premature birth, but it was only the one line and didn't go into any detail.

Your story interests me. As far as I know I was not premature, at least I was over 7 lbs when born so was likely on time. Both my daughters who are on the spectrum were born on time (exactly on time in fact, although my 2nd daughter I had the membrane sweep a few days before because I wanted a home birth and knew the more I went over the less likely it would be they'd allow it).

I have a friend, who I strongly believe has AS, she has 3 daughters who also display obvious signs of Asperger's. One of these daughters had a similar birth to you, and she has always rather believed it was down to the premature and subsequent trauma she had (brain bleed etc. like you) that caused her traits. I don't believe so because her other daughters and her also appear to have AS. Although it's possible it made her worse because from what the mother says she has worse traits.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 6:37 am

I was born at 34 weeks, weighed over 7lbs (mom made big babies) and didn't need any special care. I was definitely premature, but I think the big sized helped a lot.

Both of my kids are autistic and one of them was born on his due date, the other 7 weeks early and stayed in hospital for a couple weeks (he was also big for his age, though, about the same size as his dad's full term weight). I don't think being premature caused autism, but it probably didn't help.