Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2006, 3:43 pm

Difficulty reading clocks - I've heard it's an Aspie trait. True or false?

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 3:46 pm

True

jukebox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2006, 3:52 pm

Holy s**t. I feel so much better knowing I'm not just stupid.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 4:07 pm

No you are stupid its just the clock thing isnt related its a whole other problem.. just kidding :)

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 4:45 pm

OMG it took me forever to learn how to read clocks, I was about 10 before i finally learned. I was so embarassed about it that I hid it from everyone, including my parents, until my teacher sent my parents a letter telling them to teach me how to tell the time. I was so ashamed :( Even now I have to stop and think when someone asks me the time.

AmyRose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2006, 5:24 pm

False. I prefer analog watches over digital watches.

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 5:26 pm

I've got an analog watch and I can read it just fine, though there are moments where it takes a while to to figure out the time.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 5:27 pm

i only have trouble with analog clocks.

I have always like watching clocks to see if the hand moves , how far the second hand has to be before the minute hand moves, catch the clocks problems like when the second hand goes backwards or something... stupid things like that.... but i never was able to add or subtract very quickly so i think that was why it was a problem. I just figured everyone had trouble reading them.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2006, 6:09 pm

On the subject of clocks/watchs. Why be struck with lame dials grrrh yes i find them annoying. Digits are alot better, take less space, hours mins and sec on the same dial i think lazy watch makers ? And ticking clocks bother me i do not have any. You can call this number to set time by ear 303 499 7111 grin...

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 6:14 pm

Ticking drives me up the wall.. we used to have ticking clocks in the classroom in our school.. after a while I started refusing to go to class until they removed them and started sitting in the office all day.

Pretty soon the other students heard about it and after a few days of it there was half a dozen of us in there boycotting class until they removed the clocks (not sure if they were aspie also or not I didnt know about it back then).

They eventually caved and replaced the clocks with a variety that didnt tick.

Don't do anything at all
-----------

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

28 Sep 2006, 6:19 pm

Fraya wrote:
Ticking drives me up the wall.. we used to have ticking clocks in the classroom in our school.. after a while I started refusing to go to class until they removed them and started sitting in the office all day.

Pretty soon the other students heard about it and after a few days of it there was half a dozen of us in there boycotting class until they removed the clocks (not sure if they were aspie also or not I didnt know about it back then).

They eventually caved and replaced the clocks with a variety that didnt tick.

That'sinteresting. I happen to love the sound of clocks ticking. I find it soothing.

I can read analog watches quite easily, but I prefer digital watches because they're more precise (that is, I can read them more accurately). My current watch is a combination of both, which makes me happy because I get the digital functions combined with the lovely ticking sound when I hold it near my ears.

28 Sep 2006, 6:21 pm

I didn't start telling time until I was 9. I can read clocks very well.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 6:21 pm

I have to mentally add and subtract each time I read an analog clock, which I get the feeling other people don't have to do. When I'm really exhausted, for example, I am simply too tired to go through the mental steps. This is actually a bit similar to the situation with facial cues. I use an analog watch because, in my experience, they tend to be more durable. And I wanted a Swatch(tm).

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 6:22 pm

I dont mind it a little when Im in the mood for it but for 8 hours straight every day while your trying to concentrate? After a few months it really starts to grate on the nerves.

Don't do anything at all
-----------

cyrus1874
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2006, 6:34 pm

I couldn't read analog clocks for the longest time. I accually wrote an essay in grade eight on how digital clocks were better than analog ones (I had a very understanding teacher.)

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 6:35 pm

Fraya wrote:
Ticking drives me up the wall...
Me too! But, I think it's really cool to walk into a clock shop for a few minutes and hear 100 clocks ticking at the same time. You just don't want to be there when the hour tolls.

My dad bought a heavy duty electric clock from some business supply place for his shop once and it had a "silent motor" in it. It really was silent once you got about ten feet away from it, but idiotically it had a little catch mechanism built into the second hand to MAKE it tick. Absolute insanity!

I do OK with both types, but I was in third grade when I finally learned to tell time from an analog clock.

Last edited by DirtDawg on 28 Sep 2006, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.