Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:44 am

how do u guys like my analogy of the autistic spectrum

i compare it to a color spectrum of any particular color (as long as its not a primary color)

lets say purple (for the sake that its my fav color)

Purple comes in many shades from reddish or pinkish purple to blueish purples
in each of those shades there are many shades varying from light to dark as well.

thats what the autistic spectrum is like there are many severitys of each condition on the autistic spectrum. One could have Autistic disorder but be more high functioning than some people with severe aspergers. just like a reddish purple can be lighter than a bluish purple

so what do you guys think?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:22 pm

my head hurts xD

I'm sure it's quite good; I just have difficulties with analogies. :S

lannesman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2008, 12:30 pm

What if your AS person is blind?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:34 pm

then they can't read the analogy :D

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2008, 1:00 pm

I think it's a good analogy. Some cases are more complicated though. For example, would an aspie with awful social skills but no sensory problems be higher- or lower-functioning than an aspie with good social skills but lots of sensory problems? Sometimes it's hard to tell whether someone is in the reddish-purple range or the bluish-purple range.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 1:49 pm

I like your av :D

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2008, 1:49 pm

Do you mean that the reddish end (for example) would be higher-functioning and the bluish lower? Or did you mean something more like this (translated into my own words so that I can understand what you're trying to say):
Someone on the spectrum with Problem X (let's say sensory) could be reddish-purple, while someone with Problem Y (let's say, social skills) could be bluish-purple. Then one might not be more severe than the other, just a different color, but more severe would be darker reddish or bluish, whereas less severe might be lighter in color.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 1:50 pm

AngelUndercover wrote:
I think it's a good analogy. Some cases are more complicated though. For example, would an aspie with awful social skills but no sensory problems be higher- or lower-functioning than an aspie with good social skills but lots of sensory problems? Sometimes it's hard to tell whether someone is in the reddish-purple range or the bluish-purple range.

I tend to think of the spectrum in N dimensions. All the "same-functioning" people would be a subset that exist in N-1 dimensions. So if it was 3 dimensions, people at the same level would exist on a plane.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 1:57 pm

What was the question again?

ok....

ummmm...PURPLE! (purple happens to be my answer to questions I have problems with :) )

Anyways...considering that (mostly?) NTs do the diagnosing, I think being able to socialize would put you on a high-level functioning autistic in their opinion, regardless of sensory problems.

But then, they probably think that having sensory problems would mean you can't concentrate on being good at socializing. :roll:

Or something like that.

lannesman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2008, 2:02 pm

Ok...my brain is starting to hurt, now.
How about a scale of 1 to 10?
1= You like salt on your ham and you have no rhythm, but otherwise you are indestinguishable from the majority.

10= You are a full-blown out Einstein, own 7 of the same outfit and stands in closets for lengthy periods to clear your head after a member of the opposite sex pays notice to you.

Good for you?

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
how do u guys like my analogy of the autistic spectrum

i compare it to a color spectrum of any particular color (as long as its not a primary color)

lets say purple (for the sake that its my fav color)

Purple comes in many shades from reddish or pinkish purple to blueish purples
in each of those shades there are many shades varying from light to dark as well.

thats what the autistic spectrum is like there are many severitys of each condition on the autistic spectrum. One could have Autistic disorder but be more high functioning than some people with severe aspergers. just like a reddish purple can be lighter than a bluish purple

so what do you guys think?

I used our galaxy as an example. The highest function are the one that are the closest to the sun. Any PDD-Nos are consider as Planet Unknown.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:20 pm

Specter wrote:

There are blind people who post on this board. They just need a device which converts webpage text into either speech or Braille.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Specter wrote:

There are blind people who post on this board. They just need a device which converts webpage text into either speech or Braille.

what happens if we spell things wrong then?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:17 pm

WOW, I recently compared it to blue!(light to dark and pastel to florescent)! :lol:

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm

Like your color spectrum analogy.

A range of colors.

How about invisible/almost invisible, mild, moderate, and severe?

jec6613
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2010, 2:09 pm

t0 wrote:
AngelUndercover wrote:

I tend to think of the spectrum in N dimensions. All the "same-functioning" people would be a subset that exist in N-1 dimensions. So if it was 3 dimensions, people at the same level would exist on a plane.

This is how I think of it as well, but maybe that's because I normally think in 8-10 dimensions which is apparently weird?