If autism is genetic, are we all related?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2011, 9:38 am

Most experts agree that autism is in our genes. Does that mean we can all trace our ancestry back to one individual who underwent some sort of genetic mutation? I quite like the idea of us all being one big family. Or could this mutation have occurred more than once in human history? I don't really understand enough about how genetics works.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:48 am

Seashell,
I am your father.

n3rdgir1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2011, 9:49 am

1) Every organism shares a common ancestor
2) All humans share a common ancestor separate from other species
3) There is more than one "autism gene"
4) Genes spontaneously mutate between generations. (Ex. You could be born a little person with no little people in your family as far back as recorded history)

So, it's way more complicated than a yes/no question

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

We are no more related than everyone who has blue eyes or brown hair is related.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Seashell,
I am your father.
8O
My mum obviously has a lot of explaining to do :wink:

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2011, 1:13 pm

n3rdgir1 wrote:
4) Genes spontaneously mutate between generations. (Ex. You could be born a little person with no little people in your family as far back as recorded history)

I guess it makes sense that there's more than one autism gene. I suppose where you end up on the spectrum is down to how many of those genes you inherit.

Asp-z wrote:
We are no more related than everyone who has blue eyes or brown hair is related.

I suppose not, I didn't think of that.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

Asp-Z wrote:

Perhaps, but that does not mean we are any less related.

n3rdgir1 wrote:
All humans share a common ancestor separate from other species

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

xCarlax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2011, 10:57 pm

As i have read through all my intensive researxh that i have done,
ASD have been around before christ, n they classic examples they believe such as ceaser ( and other ancients) were believed showed displays of it.
supposedly the scientist believe it.originated (as far as there studys have found) it was caused by inbreeding verrry long ago by tribes and such,

im not sure if its correct at all or not but personally it kinda makes sense :)

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2011, 1:14 am

n3rdgir1 wrote:

You don't have to go that far back. All currently living humans share one ancestor. This ancestor is known as Mitochondrial Eve (Due to the fact mitochondrial DNA is passed from mother to child), a woman, who lived about 200.000 years ago in East Africa :)

I'm sure ASD has existed for far longer than humanity has existed in some form or another. It's just rarely seen in at least pack animals, as they rely on the social structure for survival. Can't get along with the pack? Well, tough luck, you're gonna die. LFA in animals can be detrimental for the group and the individual, and those animals are commonly left to die or cast out of the froup, but HFA can in some ways be alleviated in complex social groups (think primates).

While scientists hypothesize ASD may be a byproduct of tribal inbreeding, it may also be a product of genetic mutation.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:51 am

My long-lost sister! :D

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 11:45 am

Genes flip on and off.

In some conditions they can skip an entire generation, regardless of family.

LunaUlysses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

=) Read this. It's actually pretty fascinating.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

You know I listened to an Attwood interview and he says that half of autism cases happen in utero. But it does run in the family to some extent. And he also says that women on the spectrum are more likely to pass the traits onto their children. Interesting, so if I ever have kids, I should be very ware of the potential of having a kid on the spectrum.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2011, 5:46 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
My long-lost sister! :D
:lol:

LunaUlysses wrote:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

=) Read this. It's actually pretty fascinating.

I used to believe in the neanderthal theory of autism, but apparently everybody outside of Africa inherited 4% of their genes from neanderthals. So the autism genes must have appeared later otherwise everybody who isn't African would be autistic. Unless those of us on the spectrum inherited more than 4% of our genes from neanderthals. I don't know if anyone has tested people with autism to see if we have a higher percentage of neanderthal genes.