Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

I have a phobia of going to the hairdressers, 1) Because I fear the fact that I might have to enter into conversation and keep it going for how ever long it takes to do the do. And 2) Because I've found that I can do a better job myself for free.

I can't be the only person who feels this way surely.

gmadawn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2011, 5:03 pm

I cant cut my own hair without looking like a 4year old's first scissor session. But Ive had enough haircuts that had nothing to do with what I described that I now let it grow and get it cut once or twice a year. Thank goodness long and straight is back in style.

(On the talking, I usually say something like "This always makes me so sleepy" when they start combing and then keep my eyes shut most of the time. The stylist is usually very ok with it since they have to talk to everyone all day and get tired of it. If they do try to chat I just kinda mumble 'uh-huh' or 'oh I see' and let my eyes close again. Unless they accidentally hit onto one of my favorite topics then look out!!)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 5:06 pm

I avoid going to the hairdressers because there are always glamorous young girls working in hairdressers and I've found I have a fear of going anywhere what attracts young glamorous girls.

Also I keep thinking they might chop more off than what I asked, obviously because they want to do more than just a quick trim.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 5:07 pm

I always wonder if the hairdresser would rather not talk but is told to by management. I prefer to stare at my lap.

davidalan11235813
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2011, 5:09 pm

I hate getting my hair cut because they're constantly touching my face, and there are far too many people talking far too loud. I got my hair cut today, and it took everything I had to keep from screaming.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 5:13 pm

I don't like hairdressers touching my head. And the noise of talking and hair dryers is way too much. I never know if I should look in the mirror at what they're doing or stare off to the side. I try to go no more than once a year - get it cut short, then I have time to let it grow out again.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm

I don't like anyone touching my head, especially strangers. I've always either cut my hair myself or let my mum cut it. Before my graduation ceremony mum tried to get me to do to a hairdressers and have my hair trimmed and washed. I ran out of the hairdressers.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

I always procrastinate getting my hair cut because I can't stand the feeling of all the tiny hair clipping getting down my shirt. I always have to take a very thorough shower after to rinse the extra tiny clipping out of my hair and off my skin.

The idle chit chat with the hairdresser is also annoying.

But I really like the feeling of the clippers on the back of my neck. It's an intense feeling going down my spine.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm

I have been to the hairdressers exactly three times in my life.
No, I don't like it.
The touching, the fear about "what is going to happen next?", the talking, where I don't know what to answer and then they want you to undergo "this-and-this" treatment, which I don't want and I say "no" like three times, because I don't see a use in it, but they continue arguing and I give up and get this treatment I never wanted.
I cut my hair myself from time to time, but it is long anyhow.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

My hair has always be unwieldy so I've hated going since I was a child. I had always been yelled at. They would say things like "don't you ever brush your hair?" Of course I did. I brushed it right before I went, in fact. However the taunting scared me & I couldn't leave (oh & my parents would never stay with me, they would always go wonder off to shop or something) so I would shut down, not talk at all & try not to cry.

Then there was the small talk, as you've mentioned. For years that has also been a reason that I hate going to doctors. I never understood why they needed to make chit chat instead of just checking my body.

I used to cut my own hair. To any other naive girls out there if you are in high school & someone asks do not tell that you cut your own hair. That definitely brought on more bullying that I didn't need.

Now a close friend who is a hairstylist keeps it trimmed for me.

Last edited by LadySera on 17 Nov 2011, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2011, 6:54 pm

For me it's the conversation and being touched. I dislike being touched, my head and face in particular. For most of my life I'd grow my hair long and had it cut like couple of times a year. But being a guy and not caring much about looks I started cutting my hair with an electric trimmer down to 1mm and I'm very happy with that.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2011, 8:20 pm

My two sons and I get our haircuts at a local hair salon. I know the one lady because she attends the church where I play organ. She and the owner gossip all the time. I don't like that. But that's where I go so I try to tolerate it. She knows I am usually quiet, so she doesn't usually engage in much conversation with me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

When I cut my own hair, I end up with hair different lengths so I leave it to the professionals. Last trim I got was a couple of Sundays ago. The stylist was quiet and quick and cut my hair with my sunglasses on. I have no complaints.
The key is finding the right one.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2011, 8:40 pm

I always feel awkward with the conversation, but almost worse is how I never know where to look with my eyes while getting my hair cut. I end up closing them for much of it, even during parts where there would be no chance of hair getting in my eyes.

CrayzeeL3ggz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

several hairdressers have been admonished by their bosses because I complained of a less than "perfect musical-note" perfect haircut... Imagine their surprise when I kept booking haircuts (and complaining). It took me a while to catch that one. Now I just consider my hair "just fuzz on my head" so I get it cut at any old "Super Nuts" I mean "Cuts". :)

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2011, 9:48 pm

I have been cutting my own hair for about 30 years. Number 7 clipper on the top. Number 5 clipper on the sides and back.