Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2011, 3:07 am

I make this dinosaur sound... haha
I do it to be funny, but it also makes me feel better, so I do it when I have extra energy.
Although I feel a bit weird about it now -- typing it out makes it sound really, really silly. Not going to get me to stop, though~~ lol

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:08 am

I suppose my "verbal stimming" consists of growling.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 5:02 am

Chama wrote:
I do it to be funny, but it also makes me feel better, so I do it when I have extra energy.
Although I feel a bit weird about it now -- typing it out makes it sound really, really silly. Not going to get me to stop, though~~ lol

Dinosaur sound? xD

Like this?:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCLLqod9R1E[/youtube]

MysteriousMrR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 4:44 am

I know when I'm nervous about something, I repeat myself. Otherwise, I imitate meows my cats make (past and current) and repeat lines that I heard on TV, movies, and the like.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 5:09 am

I mumble to myself all the time, but it's partial thoughts or it's a response to what I'm thinking. It's usually always negative. When I've upset somebody and I'm thinking about it, out of the blue I'll mumble something like "I hate myself" but not loud enough to be heard, and I do it without meaning to. Or, if I'm thinking about something I've done and shouldn't have, I'll mumble "Well, I'm done with that". If I'm considering doing something I know I shouldn't I'll mumble "I wish I wouldn't". It's like I'm responding to my thoughts out loud. Not carrying on a conversation with myself per se, but my mind jumps in and comments out loud without disturbing the thoughts in my head. I catch myself doing it all the time, and everyone but my mother ignores it. They can't understand me anyway because it's a low murmer. My Mother yells "WHAT? WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" and I'll tell her "I was just talking to myself" and she tells me to stop it.

I rarely do it in public, although at times I've caught myself moving my lips in response to a thought.

I also mumble to myself in stores when I feel uncomfortable. An example would be if I had to run out and get milk after a day of heavy housework in sweats, dirty and sweaty, no makeup, hair everywhere, feeling like I look really bad and shouldn't be there. I'll mumble something like "I can't believe we are out of milk after I've been cleaning all day". Or if I have to reach through a crowd of people for something on a shelf I'll mumble "Tylenol, tylenol, wheres the tylenol, ah theres the tylenol". It's almost like I'm trying to explain my presence there to them and hoping they will overhear in a way. It's different from the talking to myself I do at home.

Frances

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2011, 7:51 am

Wow I didn't even know about stimming, my husband and I figured I had some sort of mild tourettes or something because of the words, phrases and noises I come out with. It only happens when I'm at home, very very rarely in public (it usually changes into my eye twitching instead), it gets worst if I'm excited. It only really developed when I moved in with my husband 8 years ago, my obsession with the number 4 and doing my hands / toes / touching things in patterns decreased as my noises increased.

I go through phases with words, specific words I will say many times a day for weeks or months and then it will change to a different word. A re-occurring theme is telling my husband he is something. I have come out with some rather weird ones like telling him he's a master of the occult but usually I just say his name very loudly in my 'voice'. That being a slightly higher pitched almost cartoon like version of my own voice. I often repeat things or noises or will shout in my voice something I have just seen or respond to something on television. For example this morning whilst browsing the net an advert was on TV in the background, I can't remember the exact wording but it said something along the lines of 'join us later when we will be meeting...' and I shouted out 'breasts' very loudly in my voice.

I'm gaining more confidence about going to the docs for an official diagnosis because of all the things I'm reading and thinking 'omg that's like me!'.

melvin-z
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2011, 8:04 am

sometimes when someone is talking to me a random word they say will grab me and I'll repeat it a few times, a few different ways. Usually it's a funny sounding word. If I've had an upsetting encounter with someone, I find myself repeating statements over and over, without consciously thinking about it. Hours later I'll be brushing my teeth and I'll blurt 'I don't LIKE that.' or whatever.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 8:10 am

Yes, I do. This is one trait I have that seems quite autistic. I make all kinds of funny noises at times. I also repeat things people say.

MelissaMommyof4
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2011, 8:17 am

My son has always blurted out various sounds, words or phrases since around 4.. The first thing I noticed was all of a sudden he would yell AHHHHHHHHHHH like in an opera voice, It would happen any place and any given time. I would sometimes say Shh you can be so loud in the store and he would look at me like I was crazy, like he wasnt doing anything to begin with. Lately he blurts out the word Donut and uses that word excessivly. He has got onto my facebook via my cell phone and update my statue to I love Donuts.. Or Donuts are awesome.. The other night he made up a rhyme and he would continue to say it over and over for hours on end...

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

I tend to moo like a cow, meow like a cat and say certain phrases over and over when I get stressed. I really have to concentrate to hold them in. Sometimes I do it but try to do it very quietly because nobody wants to be around a mooing adult.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 4:24 pm

hockeytaz wrote:
I tend to moo like a cow, meow like a cat and say certain phrases over and over when I get stressed. I really have to concentrate to hold them in. Sometimes I do it but try to do it very quietly because nobody wants to be around a mooing adult.

:lol: I do.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 7:32 am

Sparx wrote:
Chama wrote:

Dinosaur sound? xD

Like this?:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCLLqod9R1E[/youtube]

I had an alarm clock (still have somewhere) that made the sound that first appears on this . For years it used to wake me up every night at around 3am, with no way to turn it off. (I was too lazy to take the batteries out as they were locked in with screws).

I like the sounds on the video, especially the first sound for nostalgia's sake, and the Jurassic Park one.

Anywaaaay.... Back to the verbal stimming.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

If talking to myself counts, then yes I suppose I do.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

I have both stims and tics. verbal tic which is like a throat clearing sound, and i cant control it either. my dad hates it. says i sound like an Emu drumming.
My stim though is a "meow" so many people think i am just being random, but i just must have to say it, yes ive tried fighting my stimming.
I also when i find sum1 i really like, liek a crush ill keep repeating their name over n over. like currently my friend Jacob, ill walk around saying "jay jay jay jay jay jay jaaaaaycob" n repeat. sometimes i dont even know im doing it.
Other times i do it cause it feels nice the way my mouth and lips move to produce the sounds.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:36 am

I like to sing whilst I'm cooking, I use well known songs and change the words to match up with what I'm cooking. I've always done it, I'm not sure whether it's anything to do with AS but I really enjoy doing it, it makes me feel good.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Yes, I do it. I sometimes repeat words that I heard from TV a couple times or I "speak" (?) just some letters very fast, like "ta-ta-ta-ta..." or others. But not very loud, more like whispering.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.