Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 3:19 pm

Bought lunch from the salad bar of Whole Foods Grocery store. And took a seat in the room set up for folks to eat on the premises.

Became aware of a young-middle aged lady seated at the table next too me also getting ready to chow down on a meal in a salad bar container out of the corner of my eye.

Didnt pay her any mind until after about ten seconds I noticed that she had not started eating, and that was just - gesturing over her food.

With her eyes closed she had both hands slightly raised, palms down, moving in a kinda slow but steady circular motion over her table and over her food. Kinda the way a Hollywood swamee would gesture over a crystal ball.

I actually started to time it on my watch. After a whole minute- she finnally stopped this ritual, and picked up her fork, and started eating as normal.

Is that some New Age ritual (kinda like folding your hands and saying 'grace'), or is that some kind of autistic stimming behavior? Or what?

Im not judging it. But Im not gonna lie and pretend that I dont find it odd and curious.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 5:33 pm

I've never seen anyone doing this, or heard of it before, but I wonder if she was engaging in some form of mindfulness. Mindful eating seems to in vogue just now - taking time to anticipate your meal, focus on your food before and as you are eating, so maybe that was what she was doing... Just a guess though!

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 7:16 pm

I vote New Age ritual--it was probably Reiki.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:13 pm

I think it was New Age, not AS.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:33 pm

And the beauty of it, if it is New Age, it creates more room for those of us on the Spectrum. :jester: