Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 4 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:18 pm

Tequila wrote:
MrMark wrote:
Someplace east of the Mississippi would be better for me too, but we have a lot of members in Australia/New Zealand.

Bottom line: if it's in the United States, unless it's a very cheap holiday, count me out. There are more members from the UK and the rest of Europe than from Australia and New Zealand.

I've been discussing the UK event this morning. Other areas will organize local events and we will use digital video to all link up.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:32 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Tequila wrote:
MrMark wrote:
Someplace east of the Mississippi would be better for me too, but we have a lot of members in Australia/New Zealand.

Bottom line: if it's in the United States, unless it's a very cheap holiday, count me out. There are more members from the UK and the rest of Europe than from Australia and New Zealand.

I've been discussing the UK event this morning. Other areas will organize local events and we will use digital video to all link up.

Hmm... I know the user base here in our part of the world is small, but that's a good idea. Hopefully I can organize a gathering of WP members in our place, and have a simultaneous feed at that. That way, everyone can be part, and everyone's happy. :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
Are you in need of a still photographer? I shoot all kinds of events. Haven't done a convention before, but it could be fun...other than getting there.

And why haven't you made your presence felt in the "perpetual photography thread", hmmm tomboy4good? ;)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
I've been discussing the UK event this morning.

I take it that will be in the south-east of England, right? Still too far, unless I'm going to combine it with something else.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

Tequila wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
Are you in need of a still photographer? I shoot all kinds of events. Haven't done a convention before, but it could be fun...other than getting there.

And why haven't you made your presence felt in the "perpetual photography thread", hmmm tomboy4good? ;)

Because all images get lost on a thread with that many posts. I had thought about it in the past. Instead you'll find under my profile, I have a link to my Flickr page. I don't have all day to go thru posts with that many pages. N'est pas?

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Nov 2011, 3:55 pm

We're going to do this as a single conference because the point is to get everyone from around the world together in person. We can do it in a diff country the following year if this ones successful

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 3:59 pm

Ok, count me out, then. Hope more people can make it than I'd imagine.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

Ok - idea. The biggest problem is expense.

What if we, quite literally, calculated the cheapest country to get to and stay in from around the world and held it there? Say, Vietnam/Thailand. I'm deadly serious here.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Well, I'm not the main organizer here, and I won't claim to be such, but I would just want to speak my mind, anyway.

Here's how I wish to happen:

- The physical conference pushes through. Those who have the means to be there physically can attend.
- For those who can't, either because the venue is too far away or they have no means of going there for some reason, there can always be a local gathering, where both ends can be streaming videos and interact with one another.

I have a huge feeling that this will be successful, though. With careful planning and coordination, this will push thru. :)

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

alex wrote:
We're going to do this as a single conference because the point is to get everyone from around the world together in person. We can do it in a diff country the following year if this ones successful

Yeah, that is defiately the goal. However, It seems like some people would be interested in having their own small events at the same time, joined to the conference by digital video. That way anyone who wants to get together in one central area can, but those who cannot travel don't have to be excluded. we could unite autistics from all over the world both physically and in spirit through media.

What do you think?

Either way, there will be plenty of ways for people to get involved without having to overcome geographic obstacles.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
alex wrote:

Yeah, that is defiately the goal. However, It seems like some people would be interested in having their own small events at the same time, joined to the conference by digital video. That way anyone who wants to get together in one central area can, but those who cannot travel don't have to be excluded. we could unite autistics from all over the world both physically and in spirit through media.

What do you think?

Either way, there will be plenty of ways for people to get involved without having to overcome geographic obstacles.

I agree with this.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
alex wrote:

What do you think?

I think that's a great idea! Linking up with different locations at the same time using video means more can attend. Maybe there can be some smaller groups participate at once since most people live elsewhere.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

theimperiousdork wrote:
Well, I'm not the main organizer here, and I won't claim to be such, but I would just want to speak my mind, anyway.

Here's how I wish to happen:

- The physical conference pushes through. Those who have the means to be there physically can attend.
- For those who can't, either because the venue is too far away or they have no means of going there for some reason, there can always be a local gathering, where both ends can be streaming videos and interact with one another.

I have a huge feeling that this will be successful, though. With careful planning and coordination, this will push thru. :)

Seconded. This seems like an excellent compromise - the best of both worlds!

The main event would, of course, draw the most attention and include the primary activities, but two way media coverage would make it more readily available to those who can't travel.

Some of us really do have a hard time with planes, airports, directions, etc...

Last edited by Tambourine-Man on 16 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

sunshower wrote:
Ok - idea. The biggest problem is expense.

What if we, quite literally, calculated the cheapest country to get to and stay in from around the world and held it there? Say, Vietnam/Thailand. I'm deadly serious here.

most members are in the U.S. so i think it would be cheapest to fly to an American location. also probably not everyone has a passport, and it's more complicated to fly internationally. yes i do realise many members will have to fly internationally to go TO the U.S. (including me!), but i think the goal is to find a location that the most members can get to.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

theimperiousdork wrote:
Tambourine-Man wrote:
alex wrote:

What do you think?

I agree with this.

Me, too. I guess there's nothing really to stop people from organizing their own events at a grassroots level. Maybe even if Alex doesn't want to do it as part of his event, it'll inspire people to organize meet-ups on their own.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
I don't have all day to go thru posts with that many pages. N'est pas?

I take your point - sort of - but there's enough people that comment on it to mean that images won't get lost.

I'll take a look at your Flickr photostream now. :)