People with autism have problem with change.

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 3:28 am

People autism with have problems with change. They like keep things the same. I think it would be better if people with this disorder were treated.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 3:35 am

hi,

change is not change. It depends on what is to be changed. I had problems moving away from my current home, this is a change. But why do I have that problem others don't have? I think i am more emotionally sensitive, and i think more complex and therefore it takes longer til i get used to something new again.

I think there is a lot of prejudices again here too, it seems to me that most people are not aware, that autistics aren't robots who just want to do the same stuff again and again. your final statement seems not very smart to me!

bye,
anton

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 4:32 am

You don't have be rude. I am just saying that aspies struggle with doing new things. How do you know that you have aspergers. You took a online test didn't you?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 5:39 am

Even NTs don't like some change, jesus! But I think NTs can adapt to change quicker - or they can deal with change a little better as in their reactions, but my reactions are a little bit different. It's like when they changed the BBC weather site just yesterday, it made me cry with panic and anger because I've been using the same weather site for years and then it all suddenly changed into something completely different what was more harder to use and get used to. It made me so angry why they have to suddenly do that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 6:51 am

If people with autism hate change, than why was I able to change for the better, two years ago this fall. I also don't need to be treated, thank you very much. If you wish to be treated and cured, that's fine. I on the other hand don't wish to be treated and cured. You just want to see what kind of a reaction you're going to get from us. You do realize that a lot of people who share my opinion is going to be posting in this thread, don't you?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Nov 2011, 8:00 am

Some changes I can cope with. Some changes hit me with a ton of bricks and I can't cope at all. I remember a site I was using changed its menus around and I couldn't work out how to operate it properly for another two weeks. On the other hand, it only took me a few hours to adapt to Windows 7 after using Windows Vista.

I've had near-meltdowns (I guess you could call them outbursts) when I found out I was going somewhere in a different vehicle than I'd expected. I had a meltdown when a birthday present was not the present I was expecting. Changes in routine and changes in plans just hit me hard at times.

I also have spikes in anxiety when I am trying to plan to go on a short trip and only have a few days to get used to the idea. If I plan a trip at least two weeks in advance, by the time the trip comes around I can cope with it. But if you ask me if I want to go with you tomorrow I'd probably panic.

Also, sometimes, when things are rearranged (say living room furniture) I have to stop and process the fact that I am looking at the correct room. Once I stopped to look at the house I grew up in. The yard had been landscaped and the house painted a different color, and I was honestly not sure whether I was actually looking at the same house.

However, none of this is an obsession with things staying the same. I didn't even know what that was supposed to mean the first time I read a description of it. I find some changes distressing or confusing, but that doesn't mean I hate change.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:05 am

People are going to get all ruffled if you come here and say that we all need to be treated. That's for each of us to decide for ourselves, and it's a bit out of line to suggest that another person needs treatment. So, brace yourself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:12 am

I don't need treatment for my autism, you need treatment for your bad attitude. Autism Speaks does not speak for me, but it sure speaks for you. There's a site where you can talk about that stuff. I've already mentioned it.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 8:15 am

I agree with most of the people here. Whether they would like to be treated or no is at their own discretion. Although changes are one of the common challenges for autistics, it is highly unlikely that everyone is the same.

But considering your statements, though, that was kind of offensive. For future reference, you might want to reconsider your statements and make sure you are on stable ground before even posting. I've actually been reading through your posts on other boards here in Wrong Planet, and quite frankly, I might call "troll" on you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

I don't think that is exactly true.

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 11:22 am

Whatever, you guys have problems you think that your better than everyone just because your a little smarter than other people. If do find a cure in the future I sure take it, I would be a NT than have autism.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

Green89tom wrote:
People autism with have problems with change. They like keep things the same. I think it would be better if people with this disorder were treated.

I don't like it when things change. I takes me so long to get used to new things, especially when they replace things that have given me a sense of comfort and control.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by your last comment. There are treatments available for people with ASD, but it is up to each person to decide if they want to pursue them. I have found that some treatments are helpful and some are not, but one thing I've realized is that you can't cure ASD. It is a matter of learning to live with your challenges and making the best of your life.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

Green89tom wrote:
You don't have be rude. I am just saying that aspies struggle with doing new things. How do you know that you have aspergers. You took a online test didn't you?

I think you were a little rude too, at least I understood it like that. And your last sentence didn't have any direct connection with the question you stated before. To me, you just seemed to want to provoke, and get attention!

If I only did an online test? - you want to provoke again? ;)
Did you know I don't have an official diagnosis by checking my profile? ;)

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

Hi,

the change topic is interesting. I also certainly have more problems with changes than other people. I think I am more emotionally sensitive and a more complex thinker.

However, I am really surprise how much more some autistics have trouble with change. Why is this so? Are you even more emotionally sensitive? Do you have some explanations?

thanks,
anton

Green89tom
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 11:47 am

How do know that you have aspergers, if never went to a doctor. You aspies hate NT's because they treated you badly. Have you forgot that there are people with autism worse than yours. Some people with autism killed themselves because they can't cope with it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

Green89tom wrote:
Whatever, you guys have problems you think that your better than everyone just because your a little smarter than other people. If do find a cure in the future I sure take it, I would be a NT than have autism.

I think I am better than everyone? If anything I tend to think the opposite, though that is not too healthy either, but yeah dude why don't you chill and quit trying to cause trouble.