What percentage of WP posters are NT?

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

23 Nov 2011, 3:19 am

readingbetweenlines wrote:
swbluto wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.

What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.

Cheers, pal.

I'm just such an introverted depressed NT. Whether I'm a weirdo, well, others are better placed to make that judgement than I am. I draw the line at loser.

'Ello!

I didn't say that if you're an introverted, depressed NT, you're either a weirdo or a loser. You could also be an introverted, depressed NT with naturally low working memory or you could simply have a depressive personality. There's any number of 'types'.

However, in your case, I think there's a chance you might be a part of the broad autistic phenotype. You've made mistakes in understanding other people's intentions that I haven't made and you already have a family member with aspergers and you're a teenage female so if you don't have any friends well, eh, yeah.

Good morning. Family members includes people that are related through marriage, wouldn't you say? I'm the wrong side of 40, btw.

:oops:. Well, sorry about that. I guess you sounded a bit younger and I'm horrible at estimating age.

And, yeah, maybe you are NT. I have a hard time figuring out what kind of "misreading intentions" errors are due to autism and what's a simple, everyday kind of mistake. If they're not everyday mistakes, I guess everyone is a little autistic.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:16 am

swbluto wrote:
swbluto wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well even if I don't have AS(cant say for sure since its never been made official.) I am certainly not neurotypical.

What the "neurotypical" stereotype is and what "neurotypical" REALLY means are two very different things. Not every NT is a socially successful party animal as one would be lead to believe around here. NTs have their fair share of depressed, introverted losers and weirdos.

Cheers, pal.

I'm just such an introverted depressed NT. Whether I'm a weirdo, well, others are better placed to make that judgement than I am. I draw the line at loser.

'Ello!

I didn't say that if you're an introverted, depressed NT, you're either a weirdo or a loser. You could also be an introverted, depressed NT with naturally low working memory or you could simply have a depressive personality. There's any number of 'types'.

However, in your case, I think there's a chance you might be a part of the broad autistic phenotype. You've made mistakes in understanding other people's intentions that I haven't made and you already have a family member with aspergers and you're a teenage female so if you don't have any friends well, eh, yeah.

Good morning. Family members includes people that are related through marriage, wouldn't you say? I'm the wrong side of 40, btw.

:oops:. Well, sorry about that. I guess you sounded a bit younger and I'm horrible at estimating age.

And, yeah, maybe you are NT. I have a hard time figuring out what kind of "misreading intentions" errors are due to autism and what's a simple, everyday kind of mistake. If they're not everyday mistakes, I guess everyone is a little autistic.

I'll second that! That's actually a nice thought.

Don't know how people feel about these online tests, my scores were
Your Aspie score: 69 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 144 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical
But I scored high on aloof & rigid on the BAPQ.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
sorry if this is straying for the conversation but I had a thought.....maybe if someone has something like depression for longer especially if it starts when they are a child it ends up becoming a factor in making them the person they are

Certainly. The longer you're depressed, the more your hippocampus shrinks which affects your memory and memory is definitely an integral part of someone. Severe memory deficits is what characterizes the homeless, for example.

I don't know I have met quite a few homeless people who don't seem to have severe memory problems...but yeah I learned that in psychology and it is not particularly fun to think about.