NTs are more "aspie" when they are drunk

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BitteOrca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

I'm not sure if this theory has any merit, but its something I've been thinking about today. Last night I went out drinking with a couple friends and it seems like the more they drank, the less likely they are to pick up on social queues, and sometimes they will start talking about a special interest they might have for much longer than they normally would. It kind of makes it easier to communicate with them because they say what's on their mind instead of being polite, making one resort to reading between the lines. So maybe I'm suggesting they are more compatible with us moreso than actually being more aspie.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

I've noticed that too. 8O

In some cases, it's gotten to a point where I have felt more "normal" (sorry to use that word) than they. At that point, I know it's time to call it a night.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

BitteOrca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

conundrum wrote:
I've noticed that too. 8O

In some cases, it's gotten to a point where I have felt more "normal" (sorry to use that word) than they. At that point, I know it's time to call it a night.

Lol I know what you mean. I've just become aware of my AS, so I used to just keep drinking until I stopped feeling anxious and stopped trying to figure out what people were thinking.yesterday was the first time I went out with the intention to study NTs instead of trying to be an NT, and I really didn't have the need to drink at all.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 8:26 pm

I think that drunkenness causes people to let go of their inhibitions. NTs, who normally appear quite inhibited or guarded to me, become more "normal" to me when they are drunk. I am not sure how I appear when I am drunk. I have not really been drunk ever.

davidalan11235813
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

Interesting thought. I think it's the opposite with aspies though (or at the very least, with me). It makes me act more NT because I become less inhibited, so my interactions with NTs, if still odd, are much more natural. It also helps me with my sensory issues by dulling them quite a bit, thus making me much less likely to feel overstimulated.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm

hehe, yes, I've totally noticed this - unfortunately, it can make certain NTs more belligerent, which is not really an Aspie trait.
Not that I've really been on the receiving end of that. Rarely. Thankfully. :D
I do tend to appreciate them in some ways more when they're drunk, for the very reasons mentioned. Unfortunately, this also meant that in the past, when I hung out with NT friends before my diagnosis at 27 years old, they would make disparaging comments about me when they were drunk - one even said when you're drunk the truth comes out - but he apologized for it afterwards the next day, saying that I'm a really awesome guy and he appreciates me for my quirks. In fact, it was feedback like this, which prompted me to seek a new diagnosis (for the longest time, I was told that I was ADHD with social anxiety). :(

I'm also happy to say that consuming alcohol made me feel less inhibited with females - I still enjoy female company very much despite my differences - and it was through alcohol at bars that I managed to get plenty of female company :) still, it made me feel somewhat empty, that I had struggles attracting them sober. On those occasions where I got their phone number and managed to score a date, it didn't go so well. Such was life. But I'm married now, in my late 30s, and consume very little alcohol. :)

BitteOrca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2011, 8:53 pm

Btbnyr, I've definitely considered how I might act differently when I'm drunk, and I think I usually notice how people change, so I become more relaxed, and sometimes I take advantage of them being so different by maintaining my "normalcy"better than they can.this is in the past now because now that I know who I am, I think aspies are more normal than NTs anyway. Or at least, more likely to act logically.

davidalan11235813 wrote:
Interesting thought. I think it's the opposite with aspies though (or at the very least, with me). It makes me act more NT because I become less inhibited, so my interactions with NTs, if still odd, are much more natural. It also helps me with my sensory issues by dulling them quite a bit, thus making me much less likely to feel overstimulated.

A very good example of why it makes one less anxious! I never thought of it that way. And I can definitely see how it would make us more NT because we can think more freely and perhaps listen better since our minds aren't as closed off to the outside world

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2011, 9:01 pm

Some people tell me that I don't need to drink to behave like a drunk (although I'm always conscious), so it makes sense in my case :)

Anyway, I don't drink alcohol.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 9:01 pm

BitteOrca wrote:
And I can definitely see how it would make us more NT because we can think more freely and perhaps listen better since our minds aren't as closed off to the outside world

I have difficulty tolerating alcohol, so I usually start to feel ill before noticing any of those effects.

I think I got drunk maybe once--I didn't like how it felt. Anything that makes me lose control makes me feel more anxious, not less.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

I tend to like NTs who don't care about social rules anyway, NTs who are more socially uninhibited.

I think I also get less inhibited when I am drunk. I tend to say more, which would make me appear more friendly to others. I think I start giggling a lot after drinking half a can of beer.

BitteOrca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2011, 9:31 pm

I think its safe to say I will start being the dd more often when I go out. :wink: which is a really odd thing for me to say, since Iusually avoid that position at all costs since I relied so much on the calming effects to be able to have a good time. I'm excited to further my investigation of this phenomenon!

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 10:00 pm

seriously you can label me "dumb blond" when im drunk. this aspie and drunkness DONT go together... ... "oooo look what a pretty flutter by." -hick-
but no ive never really noticed it in y drunk NT friends, maybe its cause they all seam to get n like my quirkyness in teh first place... i dunno...

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm

I think they are WAY Aspie when they are stoned.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 11:02 pm

I also hear when people are drunk, they may share something they shouldn't have shared such as they might mention their fetish and talk about it. They may also spill your secret too.

BTW I don't drink because I don't like the taste of alcohol. I like wine coolers though. I wonder if I can get drunk on those?

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 1:25 am

League_Girl wrote:
I also hear when people are drunk, they may share something they shouldn't have shared such as they might mention their fetish and talk about it. They may also spill your secret too.

BTW I don't drink because I don't like the taste of alcohol. I like wine coolers though. I wonder if I can get drunk on those?

yes u can get drunk off wine coolers. N the aboriginal population of autralia got cherry coke banned cause they got drunk from it. =.=

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 1:32 am

I found that theory interesting, when I become drunk, I feel like I become more aspie but a very outgoing aspie. I started majorly stimming, I couldn't hold a conversation, I would just talk to talk, I would be expressive but it was very offbeat, I couldn't think socially I just did.