Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

faith
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

i am currently in residential treatment for an eating disorder. im just wondering if anyone else with aspergers has had or does have an eating disorder? if so, how are you coping. whats the hardest part for you? i would love feedback! :D

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

I don't have one but when I was younger in school and some places I got sent away to I was treated like I had one because I was a picky eater and wouldn't eat with people watching me. I ate fine at home without company over.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

I do. For me the main issue is starting and stopping. I skip meals because I can't get going to sort out food for myself. I therefore end up eating when I'm famished and scoff everything and can't control how much I eat so eat until I feel sick. :(

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

Ye, I can only eat about 2 things. The hardest part ehm... is to eat with other people, because when I smell, when I see their food, it makes me sick. :>

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

14 Nov 2011, 12:18 pm

I do. Was diagnosed with AN.
Not sure that I am coping but I am still here, so I must be doing something right (or wrong, if you wanted to look at it from the ED mindset).
Feel free to PM me any time if you want to talk about it.

TheLostOne
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm

I don't think I have an eating disorder but I'm quite picky with my food.I don't eat anything wet or anything that contain juices (most vegetables and fruit) so I have to take numerous vitamin tablets. the hardest part is eating in public because I would feel really awkward and lose my appetite.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 1:09 pm

Yep, eating disorders since I was 13.
I just tend to be overly overly overly obsessive about things, and food is for sure one of them.

It sucks, my weight balloons out of control. I can be really tiny on month, and gain 20 pounds the next.

The only thing I have found helps at all, it to deal with anxiety / stress some other way.
Exercise, punching people, etc.
But that never really helps, so I just try and not stress too much.
Yoga and meditation actually help a bit.

If you need any help with specifics or questions, you can PM me whenever you want, it helps to talk to someone. :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

I had one for years from high school up until I was 24. My pregnancy ended it. I started to eat three meals a day and it was gone. I still eat but I have a hard time eating three times a day because I get lazy. I had no problem remembering to eat when I was pregnant but it was a chore to remember to eat every two hours so I always forgot. The hardest part during my ED was I wanted to eat but felt I couldn't because I would get fat if I ate normal again or ate too much food. MY ED was about my fearing of getting fat and I thought my body wanted me to be fat so me being told I was too skinny made me feel I was supposed to be fat so I would starve myself even more. So it was also about control. I also wouldn't let my body fluctuate because I feared that that weight would keep going up and up and up and then I am fat.

I don't see myself as having one anymore.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2011, 1:39 pm

I had EDNOS in high school with anorexic and bulimic (non-purging subtype) tendencies. It all started with my social phobia in middle school, which made me afraid to eat in front of people. I stopped eating at lunch during school, then stopped eating in public altogether. Soon I started worrying about being thin and began to starve myself at home, as well as exercise excessively after eating something small. Luckily it never got too serious. I think that my perfectionism and never being good enough for myself contributed to the development of this problem greatly. I was also very depressed and felt like I had no control over my life.

BethanyLilyJohnson
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2011, 7:18 am

Hi i only found out on Sunday that I'm autistic, and if I hadn't gotten an eating disorder I'd have never gone to the doctors and would never have known!
I'm ovbs, still recovering but it is easier now I know I'm autistic =)
I think it is the need for control, as well as the anxiety of getting fat :/ but its brought on by lots of feelings, very complicated,
message me if you ever want because im recovering atm and would love to know i could help you maybe =)
it is really tough so im sorry to anyone who is going threw/has gone through it!
At the moment its better because im sticking to 5 small meals a day at roughly the same time, and my mum is helping make sure i dont over/under eat - don't worry you wont gain weight from doing this, its the fear of gaining weight which can also make u eat too much when u do finally eat...
Start off small, low-fat things, with no chance of weight-gain, try whole-grain foods like weetabix! Brown bread (not actually fattening) and they keep u fuller longer so u dont have to be anxious when ur hungry all the time x
It helps me that for now my mum is sorting out my dinner every day i have the same diner - lots of vegetables and some fish,
avoid sugary things! they give u more cravings and confuse the system, i know you can do this
the most important thing to do is to remember, no matter how u feel at times, u are beautiful and people and god loves u =) I hope you feel better soon x :) (And i have faith things will get better for u definitely! =D )

EmmaPeelWannabe
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2011, 7:26 am

I had/have an EDNOS. I had anorexic tendencies and I would occasionally binge and purge.
However, if I hadn't got unwell then I would never have been diagnosed with Asperger's.
So it all worked out for the best, I guess.

BethanyLilyJohnson
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2011, 8:34 am

thats like me - im so happy in a strange way that i did/ have gotten ill that way... because ultimately it led to me realising im autistic, which might seem a strange thing to say :)

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2011, 3:56 am

I had disordered eating (basically exercise bulimia) when I was younger. Then I thought that I was sort of over it. I stopped being so strict in counting calories but I was still exercising for hours a day. I had gained a little weight & looked good though.

Now though I'm all screwed up. I've been comfort eating because my dog died & my exercise habits have sucked for quite a while. I have bad arthritis in my knees & when I exercise the next day I can barely move. When I try to do a little diet & here & there the past few years I slip into a not eating mind set after a few days & have to quit.

I'm feeling like that again as I've gained weight in the last month or so. I just don't know what to do. I know that people think it's obvious (eat less) or whatever but for me exercise is a big part of it. People in my family are predisposed to weigh more. Even if I went back to crazy calorie restriction, without heavy exercise I'm lucky to take off 5lbs, which I just gain back when I eat something substantial.