Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 1:50 pm

In the topic "aspergers character on glee, anyone else offended?" the discussion became to be about Aspergers as a fashion statement. People starting discussing t-shirt designs, as a proper aspie I'm not sure if it was ironic or not. It does not matter though, since I know these t-shirts exist on cafepress and other places. So this made me wonder;
What do you think about them?

I'm not sure to be honest. But I do see several positive and negative sides.

1: It can help you come to contact with others on the spectrum in your class, at your work or anywhere you go, who normally wouldn't know.

2: It can make it easer to tell people about your diagnosis, if thats what you wish. Then "aspergers" is probably better than "aspie".

Shadewraiths input: I agree with your opinion of using "Asperger's" over "Aspie". While I'm not offended by the word at all, the word "Aspie" sounds like one of those words that's only okay to say if you have it. Kind of like some people think it's okay to call each other a certain word, but it's not okay for another to do so. It just has that vibe to it.

3: It can give the impression that you are "showing off" your diagnosis (which you kind of are). People generally find this wrong for different reasons.

Shadewraiths input: It may seem like you're trying to "show off" your diagnosis in a negative way, but as you stated in your first point, it's almost like putting up a flag in hopes of making some new allies.

4: It can give the impression that you're making your illness a part of your identity which I think most would consider negative. However that can be discussed since this actually isn't a diagnosis that can be cured.

Shadewraiths input: I don't feel like making asperger's a part of your identity is a bad thing. In fact, I've learned that having asperger's gives you a really cool skill set that some NT's don't have as intuitively. If I can get passed some of my negative traits, I feel like I'll have this really nifty, useful brain!

5: People (NTs?) can be offended since they feel you share to much of your private life. A lot of people would just not want to know these things about everyone. Or they to have some diagnosis and get aggressive since they feel they should share to.

Shadewraiths input: I'm not sure if NT's would be offended, per say, but you're right in saying that some people just don't want to know that kind of thing about you. They also might see this as an attention seeking device, but so is following any fashion statement, right?

6: (EDIT: From "tentoedsloth") Once wearing the shirt you can't choose who sees it. You never know who you might run into...

Shadewraiths input: This could be problematic, especially since a lot of people have preconceived notions about autism (I hate when people think every person with autism suffers mental retardation). It's even harder if you're in school where kids are so judgmental. The work-around for this problem is to not let the uneducated get to you by having a "So I have asperger's, what of it?" attitude towards their hate.

I'm sure there are several other things I have not thought about.
I'm having a hard time coming to a conclusion.

What do you think? - Post is beeing updated!

Last edited by psychegots on 27 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tentoedsloth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 2:10 pm

I've thought about wearing or at least showing something too, so people won't think I'm just rude. It probably wouldn't be a T-shirt or baseball cap for me--I'm 57 years old. Also, you can't choose who sees what you're wearing.

I've been considering making up a card, something like a business card, and when I do something inappropriate, hauling it out and showing it to whoever's there.

But for your reason #1, finding others with the same problem, I might reconsider the t-shirt.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

That was my attempt at being funny. But if you want one, go for it. I dont tell mine to anybody. They already think I'm strange. To them telling them that I'm AS, because they are uneducated rednecks, would be tantamount to saying "Hey yall, I'm ret*d!" Whch, as we all know, is not the same.

Frances

Ollytheaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2011, 2:43 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
That was my attempt at being funny. But if you want one, go for it. I dont tell mine to anybody. They already think I'm strange. To them telling them that I'm AS, because they are uneducated rednecks, would be tantamount to saying "Hey yall, I'm ret*d!" Whch, as we all know, is not the same.

Frances

haha well I went awhile without telling nobody I was AS but now I tell every other person I might just to avoid confusement. I fancy buying a t shirt maybe I'll get one off this site, got some good shirts on here

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+aspergers+t ... e=2&rpp=28

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 2:53 pm

Tentoedsloth: I'll add that as another thing to consider!

Oliveoilmom: Haha ok! I'm sorry I didn't get it. I can understand you don't want to share, I'm not sure about it either.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2011, 3:06 pm

I think Aspie t-shirts COULD be a good enough idea to follow through on. I have plenty of 'sayings' to put on 'em if anyone would ever want to enter a serious business venture. :)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

Dae wrote:
I think Aspie t-shirts COULD be a good enough idea to follow through on. I have plenty of 'sayings' to put on 'em if anyone would ever want to enter a serious business venture. :)

I want to know them even though I can't invest.

Frances

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

:lol: Send me a cookie and maybe I'll share some of 'em...Maybe.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:23 pm

Why not have a secret code
Ok you know how people support breast cancer awareness well why don't we go around wearing small little ribbons on our shirts that way people won't know if we have it or if a family member has it and were in support or care deeply about it. Wait a minute someone already thought of that. Well why isn't everyone doing it? LOL Why not wear something like this to a bar maybe another aspie will notice?
Maybe I'll experiment with this for fun see if I attract some aspie guys

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:34 pm

I'll buy a fashionable bracelet wear out for a few months and see if someone notices or says something

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:55 pm

I guess I don't identify enough with it to wear a t-shirt advertising it. It's certainly part of who I am, but it doesn't necessarily define me.

I'd much rather wear the stuff I already wear.

A Coors t-shirt on which I scribbled out "Coors" and wrote "Molson" in permanent marker. (it was free)
Songwriter's Guild t-shirt and hat (the most valuable thing I got from them for a horrendous annual fee :? )
A bunch of t-shirts with the name of a local Ace hardware store I used to work for (all free)
Macinac Island t-shirt I got for free, and only wear because I've been there

Every piece of clothing I have that says anything says something about me, where I've been or what I do or have done. I don't "do" Asperger's, and though I might use the term Aspie to refer to myself here, or with close friends (even though my DX is technically PDD-NOS), I don't really think of it as something I want to put out there that obviously. I'm not ashamed of it, I just don't want that to be the first thing people see when they see me. I'd much prefer for them to ask things like, "So are you a song writer?" or, "You play guitar?" or, "Do you work at [whatever]?"

The last question I want to answer from people I've never met is, "What's an Aspie?" since my first response would be, "How much time do you have?" and they would probably not have enough time for a good answer.

Besides, in the area I live in, it's not likely that any other Aspies would run up and announce, "You're an Aspie?! Well, by gosh, so am I!!"

People are way too private in general around here. Aspies in this area would be more than likely to be doubly private. If the topic of Autism comes up though, I do tell people.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 4:57 pm

psychegots wrote:
In the topic "aspergers character on glee, anyone else offended?" the discussion became to be about Aspergers as a fashion statement. People starting discussing t-shirt designs, as a proper aspie I'm not sure if it was ironic or not. It does not matter though, since I know these t-shirts exist on cafepress and other places. So this made me wonder;
What do you think about them?

I'm not sure to be honest. But I do see several positive and negative sides.

1: It can help you come to contact with others on the spectrum in your class, at your work or anywhere you go, who normally wouldn't know.
2: It can make it easer to tell people about your diagnosis, if thats what you wish. Then "aspergers" is probably better than "aspie".
3: It can give the impression that you are "showing off" your diagnosis (which you kind of are). People generally find this wrong for different reasons.
4: It can give the impression that you're making your illness a part of your identity which I think most would consider negative. However that can be discussed since this actually isn't a diagnosis that can be cured.
5: People (NTs?) can be offended since they feel you share to much of your private life. A lot of people would just not want to know these things about everyone. Or they to have some diagnosis and get aggressive since they feel they should share to.
6: (EDIT: From "tentoedsloth") Once wearing the shirt you can't choose who sees it. You never know who you might run into...

I'm sure there are several other things I have not thought about.
I'm having a hard time coming to a conclusion.

What do you think?

Its not an illness, its a disorder, there is a difference.

I would like a T-shirt with a donkey between two buns. If people don't get it, they don't get it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 5:00 pm

Dae wrote:
:lol: Send me a cookie and maybe I'll share some of 'em...Maybe.

What kind of cookies? I have a daughter who wants to bake for a living. I have a cookie arsenal here! She will bake them and I will take them to the post office! In boxes of course. I'll do it! TELL ME!

Frances

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

An aspie t-shirt is a giant target for bullies and a really bad idea.
I don't want people to know I have aspergers and I am not proud of it. I am very shy and find it embarrassing.
I actually want to make friends not isolate people with an aspie label. There are so many NTs where I live that are not educated on the subject of aspergers and think we are mentally ill. I don't want to be stared at all the time and I really don't want sympathy from charitable people.
It's like taking away our individuality for uniforms.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 11:06 pm

artrat wrote:
An aspie t-shirt is a giant target for bullies and a really bad idea.
I don't want people to know I have aspergers and I am not proud of it. I am very shy and find it embarrassing.
I actually want to make friends not isolate people with an aspie label. There are so many NTs where I live that are not educated on the subject of aspergers and think we are mentally ill. I don't want to be stared at all the time and I really don't want sympathy from charitable people.
It's like taking away our individuality for uniforms.

No one is making you wear hypothetical aspie T-shirt. If you feel that it will isolate you, don't get one. Also, my shirt does wear uniforms and it makes life a lot easier as I don't need to make choices about what to wear and no one realizes that I have no sense of fashion, not that it every really mattered much for boys anyway.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2011, 11:50 pm

psychegots: Ok. I'm back. Thanks for private messaging me. :) But let me just tell you...I had this t-shirt idea some time ago. It 'buggered' me so much that I finally had to write the stuff down. This thread started me thinking about it again and I wondered if I had a chance in h*ll of finding my scribblings -- half my stuff's packed up because I'm anticipating a move before the next semester starts in January. And just for the ungrateful wretches who SAY they'll send me cookies (but probably will NOT follow through), I have spent the last HOUR looking - and finally finding - that paper. ...It's dated 3/28/10, around the time I got my 'official' diagnosis. Wow, huh?

So...it's a lot of stuff. Takes up 3 or more pages...Is anyone interested in any of it being posted in this thread? Or shall it remain consigned to the behind-the-scene-ness of private messaging?