Page 5 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2012, 7:22 am

Tea is what relaxes me. :sunny: And gets me alert in the morning.

Coffee is DISGUSTING! :silent:

donryanocero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 11:02 am

Small amounts of caffeine relax me. If I drink more than a double espresso I feel negative effects sometime later in the day.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 7:29 pm

It relaxes me in the sense that I'm way more prone to melt downs when I'm tired, so yes...I would say that it relaxes me.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

It doesn't really affect me, except in large amounts. I drink decaf mostly anyway, because I don't want to stunt my growth, but when I have actual strong caffeinated coffee, nothing really happens. I feel slightly more energetic, but that's it. It's also not an addiction.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2012, 8:24 pm

It does relax me in a way, and when I have a migraine, the caffeine really helps to get rid of it. Even then, I'm not actually addicted since during the recent heatwave in my area, I haven't been drinking as much coffee since I really needed water to stay hydrated.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 8:47 pm

In a way, it does seem to help me relax in that being less tired and irritable just leads to a higher ability to handle stress during the day.

Only problem is, I have become completely addicted, drinking about 4-7 cups or more each day. Even going as little as 12 hours without one leaves me exhausted and with a massive headache.

ladraven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2012, 9:12 am

ADoyle90815 wrote:
It does relax me in a way, and when I have a migraine, the caffeine really helps to get rid of it. Even then, I'm not actually addicted since during the recent heatwave in my area, I haven't been drinking as much coffee since I really needed water to stay hydrated.

IIRC there was some research some years ago that showed that caffeine can help with migraines. Personally when I have a migraine the only thing that helps is sumatriptan and a dark room to sleep in

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2012, 1:35 pm

ladraven wrote:
ADoyle90815 wrote:

IIRC there was some research some years ago that showed that caffeine can help with migraines. Personally when I have a migraine the only thing that helps is sumatriptan and a dark room to sleep in

Same here, all caffeine does for me is make my migraines worse plus I'm normally oversensitive to things and the taste/smell of coffee (I love it normally so structured, so complex) when boosted by the increase further increase in sensitivity due to the migraine becomes torture. Then again so does light, sound and humanity in general (even the cat used to get told off for walking too loud (cats are humans too).

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2012, 5:13 pm

We need to be more aware that caffeine causes/exacerbates anxiety and other mental health conditions.

Just read the 170+ pages of comments of people trying to get off caffeine here; http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/11
And the research referenced here; http://caffeineevaluation.blogspot.co.uk/

Many people feel they cannot 'get going' in the morning without caffeine; in reality they are just experiencing withdrawal from not having ingested any over the previous hours.

A key point is the research showing anxiety sufferers can be very sensitive to caffeine; some people think 'it can't be the caffeine, I only have 1 cup a day', but for them that could be the key issue in their anxiety.

Withdrawal is not easy (especially first 2 weeks, when anxiety actually goes up), but is possible.

How about cutting all caffeine for 30 days and seeing how you feel? What's to lose?

FightingAspie

23 Dec 2012, 5:52 pm

Relaxes me. Makes me feel good.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 5:57 pm

I drink freshly ground coffee all the time. Perhaps 6 cups a day and even one a bedtime without it causing me any problems.
I don't suffer withdrawal symptoms if I don't dose up either. Can't say the same about chocolate though. :lol:

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

Most coffee makes me drowsy, I have to drink a lot of black coffee to get a stimulant effect - I prefer tea instead.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 8:50 pm

Wakes me up, for sure.

People who claim that coffee doesnt effect them are the same ones who complain about having "a mid morning slump" and dont make the obvious connection that the sudden sleepy feeling they get is from the caffeine they drank for breakfast wearing off ( they notice the effect when its gone, but not when its there).

Though paradoxically it can relax you - in a social situation - bonding over drinking warm liquid.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm

Wakes me up and makes it easier to talk to people. It takes an awful lot of it to make me jittery, though. I've developed a high tolerance.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 10:35 pm

Hello. I love coffee. Yes, it relaxes me, too. But I drink coffee for its taste, not for its effect. Good espresso from freshly ground beans, with cold soy milk and some ice cubes with no sugar, is the best. I can have a few cups of coffee and fall asleep right after that. I don't crave for coffee, either. I could go without it for days and not even think about it at all. So, it doesn't seem to be addictive.

Zilphy
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2013, 9:26 pm

I have both Inattentive ADD and Aspegers. Both diagnosed by a psychologist. I can actually nap after taking the ADD meds. I avoid caffeine. For a person with ADD, caffeine will slow down cognitive processes and allow for much greater focus and relaxation. Unfortunately, if abused, quantities of caffeine must increase over time to create the same effect. I use medication to regulate my ADD and avoid caffeine.