Yes, it's images, but not vivid and not in color 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, it's movies but not vivid and not in color 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I do not have a mind's eye 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 35

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

I have a very vivid mind's eye. If I'm reading something, a very vivid mental picture and movie forms, in realistic color. I can also visualize and remember vividly as well. Some people don't have a mind's eye at all, or their visualization is very limited. I'm not wondering if either of these traits relate to AS, but just how vivid your mind's eye is or if you have one.

It would be interesting to know what frequency this occurs in the human population including those with AS and how many people lack a "mind's eye."

(I should have added options for 3 and 4 dimensional visualization.)

Huh. How do I edit this poll? It needs an option for:
No, I do not have a mind's eye.

[Mod. edit: added that for you. :wink: ]

Last edited by -Skeksis- on 29 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

I can and do visualize in color but color is not always the focus. The most vivid aspects of my visualizations of people is in the area of movement; facial expressions, gesture, gait... any action or movement.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

Yesss, its very intense. I try to use it as much as I can but sometimes I can't.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

My mind's eye is very vivid. When I visualize something from memory, I see a small feature or detail first, then everything else fills itself in around that in lots of detail. When I visualize something from scratch, I arrange the bits and pieces of the picture in my mind's eye. When I write stories, I translate the movie in my mind's eye into words. Some people who have read my stories have told me that reading my stories is like watching a movie, so they use their mind's eyes while reading too. I also like to rotate things or myself around in my mind's eye. Spinning there is just as fun as spinning in the real world, and I don't get dizzy there.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:23 pm

I picked the first option.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm

If my minds eye wasn't as vivid as it is then I don't see why I would have a drive to keep living.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

No. You can't edit a poll once it's posted. No idea why the software wasn't written so you can.

And that was a "No, I don't have a mind's eye." Not the way you mean anyway. I remember things in kind of bland colors, but when I read, I can't envision anything well at all. In fact, the more descriptive the author is, the harder it is for me to envision it. Too much detail and my head tries to put every detail together like a puzzle. Too much detail and I always have trouble putting it together. I need minimal description. From that, I can envision just enough to contain what's happening, which is what really matters to me in a story.

This is probably why I can never remember colors correctly.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:32 am

Nope, I don't think visually.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 1:20 am

I have more of a mind's ear than a mind's eye. I can visualize things to some extent but I can't stay focused on it. If I try to visualize something like a movie my mind keeps wanting to jump ahead to the next scene, and the next and the next.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 2:26 am

I have a very vivid mind's eye. It's like my mind can combine elements of different images or movies together to create something new. It only works for things I have already seen, though - it doesn't work very well with reading.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2011, 2:45 am

No I'm NOT a visual person; I can NOT picture things in my mind. I was born with a very rare low vision disorder that causes me to have some colorblindness & be very nearsighted. I think there's more to this than my visual disorder thou because my brain doesn't do a great job processing things I do see visually. I can look directly at something that's easy for me to see but my brain can have problems registering it; like it may not click that I've seen it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 3:45 am

I agree that the poll needs a 'no' option.

No, I do not have a mind's eye.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 4:21 am

I'm extremely visual.
In my mind, I don't just see "movies", it's full motion holographic visualization. I can take the same scene and play it back from any angle.

Diagnosed in 2005

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 4:35 am

I have a vivid mind's eye that thinks in pictures and movies (like video playing back in my head) when I use it. However, sometimes I think in words instead without 'visualising'. It seems to depend, but the ability to visualise is there.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:53 pm

I voted "not very vivid images in colour". It was *extremely* vivid for me as a child though, to the point where I would have attention issues and be unable to focus.

There were movies, animations, visuals, euphoric moods, everything. It was so wonderful (despite having attentional issues) and it made life seem magical. It made me the the most creative and imaginative kid ever...I could entertain myself using my own mind so easily. I miss it immensely, and have been grieving its loss for years...to those who voted "vivid movies/visuals", you are the luckiest people on earth. The only way I get these back is through temporary means (certain psychedelics replicate these effects well).

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

MrXxx wrote:
No. You can't edit a poll once it's posted. No idea why the software wasn't written so you can.

And that was a "No, I don't have a mind's eye." Not the way you mean anyway. I remember things in kind of bland colors, but when I read, I can't envision anything well at all. In fact, the more descriptive the author is, the harder it is for me to envision it. Too much detail and my head tries to put every detail together like a puzzle. Too much detail and I always have trouble putting it together. I need minimal description. From that, I can envision just enough to contain what's happening, which is what really matters to me in a story.

This is probably why I can never remember colors correctly.

I dislike detailed descriptions, but for different reasons. The description usually comes after I have already formed a mental image, so the description forces me to change the image and that ruins everything.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html