Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 4:48 pm

How come NTs are allowed to call us weird to our face but we're always told it's socially inappropriate to give our honest opinion to anyone else?

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 5:07 pm

Good question!

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

Because they're f##king hypocrites, and life is unfair. No need to whine about it though, break their social rules with an evil grin on your face! :)

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 5:24 pm

I was wondering something similar. Then I got to wondering why I am told I don't put 'myself into other peoples shoes' and yet it seems people are not doing the same for me when I am stressed out or not responding verbally or have the facial expressions the way they seem to want from considering the things some have said.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2011, 5:41 pm

We're not weird! We're just wired differently! It's as if brown-eyed folk call weird to people with blue eyes. It's not. Aspergers is neurodiversity!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
How come NTs are allowed to call us weird to our face but we're always told it's socially inappropriate to give our honest opinion to anyone else?

Are those the same NTs that tell you it's inappropriate and then those same NTs turn around and call the aspies weird?

I see hypocrisy all the time but is it? One example be I am on Babycenter and I see women bullying other women, then I come to a thread about bullying and women there are saying how wrong it is and stuff. Question I have to ask myself, all these women who are against bullying, are these the same women that go bullying others on the site?

So with NTs that tell you it's inappropriate to give our honest opinions to anyone, are they the same people that call us weird?

When I think this way, there is no hypocrisy because it's about individuals, not a whole group. I would have to keep track of what person does what and then see if they contradict what they say but I am too lazy to do that. I could go on babycenter and write down each username that I see who was doing bullying there just to see if I will ever see them say how bullying is wrong or jump down someone's back about them bullying. So that way if I ever seen someone speak against bullies, I could look on my list of usernames who have bullied on there before to see if their name is on there and if it is, they're hypocrites.

Besides what's wrong with weird? It's a compliment.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 6:39 pm

it's NOT okay for anyone to call anyone weird or any other name. it's verbal abuse and it's off-limits.

lovemywes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

they are being rude and socially inappropriate when they make comments like that. it's not ok to be intentionally rude.

Hal420
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

But people like to do things who are not okay. It makes them simply feel better.

-Skeksis-
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2011, 7:31 pm

It's socially acceptable to call social outcasts weird, and any other thing you could think of. It's being outside of social consideration after all.

Maymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

Because they're choosing to be rude. You can do the same and tell them to get stuffed.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2011, 8:32 pm

Because those who are good socially have enough social power that they can get away with being nasty to others. The higher you are on the social totem pole, the less respectful you have to be of those lower.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2011, 5:18 am

-Skeksis- wrote:
It's socially acceptable to call social outcasts weird, and any other thing you could think of. It's being outside of social consideration after all.

This is what I was thinking. All rules to the wind, if the person isn't "one of us" ~~~ to "them" ~~~

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2011, 5:28 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Because those who are good socially have enough social power that they can get away with being nasty to others. The higher you are on the social totem pole, the less respectful you have to be of those lower.

Another good answer. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:50 am

League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Are those the same NTs that tell you it's inappropriate and then those same NTs turn around and call the aspies weird?

I see hypocrisy all the time but is it? One example be I am on Babycenter and I see women bullying other women, then I come to a thread about bullying and women there are saying how wrong it is and stuff. Question I have to ask myself, all these women who are against bullying, are these the same women that go bullying others on the site?

So with NTs that tell you it's inappropriate to give our honest opinions to anyone, are they the same people that call us weird?

When I think this way, there is no hypocrisy because it's about individuals, not a whole group. I would have to keep track of what person does what and then see if they contradict what they say but I am too lazy to do that. I could go on babycenter and write down each username that I see who was doing bullying there just to see if I will ever see them say how bullying is wrong or jump down someone's back about them bullying. So that way if I ever seen someone speak against bullies, I could look on my list of usernames who have bullied on there before to see if their name is on there and if it is, they're hypocrites.

Besides what's wrong with weird? It's a compliment.

Well I get this feeling that most Aspies in this world have been called ''weird'' before in their lives.

But if I went upto a fat person and intentionally said, ''you're fat - lose some weight!'', they would be very hurt, so I would never, ever say it. It's the same thing with this - I don't know why NTs have come upto us and called us weird when they know it would hurt our feelings. This is where I don't see how NTs don't lack empathy.....

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 12:45 pm

I reclaim the word "weird". They can call me that all they like because I'm glad to be outside the box. Weird, nerd, geek. That's me and proud of it. (It took a long time to get that.)

10 yo dd on the spectrum