Who here has served or is currently serving in the military?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2011, 10:56 pm

I served while undiagnosed, it wasn't easy. Just curious to see if anyone else is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 11:19 pm

Same. Six years in the USN. Honorably discharged 12 years before diagnosis.

Difficult? Sort of. Lack of privacy was the main issue. Idiocy among my shipmates was another.

But all you have to do is be where you're supposed to be, when you're supposed to be there, and doing what you're supposed to be doing. Keep your uniform squared away, stay out of trouble, and follow the 11 General Orders for Sentries:

1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse (or the Quarterdeck) than my own.
5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.
6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.
7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.
10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
11. To be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

:salut:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2011, 12:30 am

JohnConnor wrote:
I served while undiagnosed, it wasn't easy. Just curious to see if anyone else is.

I did 3 years for the IDF
It was a nightmare ,
mainly because i saw too much action but also because of the sense of confinement and the almost total lack of control over ones life and choices

the positive side of this shity situation was that i was stationed in the middle of a very big desert which was nice and quite and wild,this i liked

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2011, 12:35 am

Seven years enlisted, US Air Force (1982-89), Maintained secure phones and data encryption equipment. Compared to most of my peers, I had it made. Asperger's didn't seem to adversely affect my performance; on the contrary, the intelligence it gave me was a big help!

At the time, I wasn't too concerned about what others thought of me. What was important was keeping those communications centers, command posts, and tactical operations centers on the air.

To close, I give thanks all who fought the Cold War to rip down the Iron Curtain, and to all who served in Panama, Iraq, Afghanistan or anywhere else in the world, for their service and dedication to freedom.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2011, 1:08 am

Rob-N4RPS wrote:
Seven years enlisted, US Air Force (1982-89), Maintained secure phones and data encryption equipment. Compared to most of my peers, I had it made. Asperger's didn't seem to adversely affect my performance; on the contrary, the intelligence it gave me was a big help!

At the time, I wasn't too concerned about what others thought of me. What was important was keeping those communications centers, command posts, and tactical operations centers on the air.

To close, I give thanks all who fought the Cold War to rip down the Iron Curtain, and to all who served in Panama, Iraq, Afghanistan or anywhere else in the world, for their service and dedication to freedom.

As far as AS affecting my performance and status i had similar experience as i was considered the be one of the best tank commanders in our unit and was liked not in spite, but because, i was so crazy and weird
Perhaps this combination of otherness together with being very good at operating complex situations and equipment is quit typical to AS

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2011, 1:13 am

I'm ashamed to admit this but I have to. If you put Beetle Bailey, Sgt. Bilko. Colonel Klink and Sgt. Schultz in a blender set it on high out would step me. I was in the National Guard and college which was not a good idea for me especially when I should have commuted and not gone off to Ohio State.

I did what I was told and received an honorable discharge but the whole time I was in I'm pretty sure everybody in my chain of command knew I had problems.

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2011, 1:15 am

You know I always knew that if I went active duty I would've been better off. If I were to enlist NOW that I know what my problems are I would be an outstanding soldier.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2011, 1:16 am

When I read this post I think of the movie "Full Metal jacket".
:lol:

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2011, 1:25 am

artrat wrote:
When I read this post I think of the movie "Full Metal jacket".
:lol:

Amazing movie