Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm

What traits make a person so unpopular that they are doomed to eternal loneliness?

The_Wanderer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2011, 10:18 pm

There's only one I can think of and that is: Being convinced that such a trait might exists within you.

RoDanGray
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2011, 10:22 pm

I will go with unrelenting eye contact, inability to read body language & constantly talking to yourself (while avoiding people as much as possible).

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 10:25 pm

I have found that from my personal experience that a constant negative attitude harms one's social standing.
People just don't like negativity. But sometimes I think I get negative on purpose to push people away.

But I don't think that I'm eternally "doomed". I have found that if I make even a minor effort to make my conversation more positive, it has a great effect.

The only thing that I think would have a worse effect is someone who is hateful towards others on top of that, and refuses to change. Really, it's the refusal to change that dooms someone.

I may get depressed and negative, but I don't get hateful towards others. And I make an effort to be more positive, it just takes work sometimes. I have my good days and my bad days.

Diagnosed in 2005

The_Wanderer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2011, 10:33 pm

Ok yeah, if you are truly making an effort to avoid people as much as possible, then you will probably be one very lonely soul. I really think that you would have to try pretty hard to not have anyone in your life. Even NT's have to put some effort into making friends. Don't ever believe you are incapable of companionship. That's bull-sh!t There are allot of good people out there that will like you for who you are and they're worth trying to find.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

I avoid people, but I don't feel lonely.

I don't think I've ever felt lonely. Other people on here have tried to explain it, but I don't really relate to the explanations.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

08 Dec 2011, 12:17 am

bumble wrote:
What traits make a person so unpopular that they are doomed to eternal loneliness?
If someone feels the need to kill others. And then they go kill others.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:22 am

Lack of ambition.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 12:30 am

I don't know but I would love to know the answer.
I am so tired of being lonely and I don't try to push people away.
I try very hard to not be lonely but the opposite happens. I don't have a single friend.
I think it's because I have severe social anxiety and people think I am weird.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 5:00 am

bumble wrote:

Wanting to take revenge on every person who stabs them in the back, and actually going through with it!! - Karma is a b***h

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2011, 5:30 am

Not sharing activities and interests with others.

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2011, 8:36 am

bumble wrote:

I can't think of any character trait that would make a person unpopular universally across the board. I think a lot of this kind of thing is situational.

Quote:
I have found that from my personal experience that a constant negative attitude harms one's social standing.
People just don't like negativity. But sometimes I think I get negative on purpose to push people away.

I don't think this is strictly true. It would likely make you unpopular with a wide range of people, but if you find others who think the same way? Doubtless a gathering of such types wouldn't be much fun, but it wouldn't strictly be loneliness, either.

Quote:
If someone feels the need to kill others. And then they go kill others.

That would be news to the member of any gang where one member had been "dissed" by someone in another gang. Quite possibly the UNWILLINGNESS to kill would make you unpopular in your cohort, not the willingness. Note that I am not speaking of right and wrong here, simply of popularity. And if such an unwillingness finds you drummed out of the gang? I'd imagine you'd be pretty lonely if said gang provided your only social outlet.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2011, 10:12 am

Resignation. An unwillingness to improve themselves. Granted, they may never succeed, but if they don't try, failure is guaranteed.

Officially diagnosed autistic. September 2023, suspected since 2010.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:22 am

I can't think of any that are universally unpopular. The only trait I can think of that's likely to doom anyone to perpetual loneliness is an unwillingness to take a chance to meet other people. They don't usually just come knocking at the door. The other trait is an unwillingness or inability to notice when you actually do have a friend.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:23 am

There is only one trait I can think of that is guaranteed to drive everyone away, and that is having a total lack of consideration for the way other people feel. I am not talking about being oblivious now and then, I am talking about having a willful disregard for others.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 10:27 am

I don't think there are any. Not believing your worth it doesn't (I've certainly seen that), being abusive doesn't (I've certainly seen that)...

The only thing that I can think of is if somehow someone was lonely unless every person they ever interacted with liked them.

(And, yes, being lonely hurts a lot and can really seem like its impossible to find anyone who cares. I'm dealing with it myself now too, just wanting a second person I can turn to and rely on, but putting it like this, I don't think there are any traits that make someone doomed, just that make it harder to find people who you fit with well.)