Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2011, 4:50 pm

So, I don't know what to think about myself (I fit in some characteristics of AS but not in others) and I've been doing some research about specific things that cause me trouble in my life. I found out today about misophonia. I think I definitely suffer from that - the sound of people or animals chewing annoys me to the point of having increased heartbeat and I need to leave the room or wear earplugs before I start snapping at people for no reason. I'm not sure if to classify this as just another sensorial sensitivity and so associate it with the doubt I might have AS, or consider it as something separate.
I would like to know if the hatred for specific sounds (especially chewing, but also others like the ticking of clocks) associated to a general high sensitivity is more common among people on the spectrum. Does somebody else have this?

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

I abhor hearing people chew and ticking clocks drive me crazy too.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 4:52 pm

I am not officially diagnosed but I hate the sound of electronic equipment buzzing and peoples lips smacking together sounds when they kiss. I usually have a to mute a movie if two actors are making out far too noisily! Kiss quietly god dammit!

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

Most mouth sounds. Heels tapping on the pavement behind me.

The list could get quite long. Then again, the effects vary.

Most of the offending sounds are related to humans. Sounds related to weather and many animals are usually pleasing to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 5:46 pm

I hate when people talk but you can hear swishing of saliva, teeth scraping together or any other mouth noises that happen when someone is talking and generally things the offender cannot control......so I do my best just to not zone in on it and focus on what they are saying rather then that. But it gives me an urge to freaking scream or something but its easier to control now than it was when I was a child and being drunk helps.....because then I don't notice it.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2011, 6:00 pm

Wow, I thought everyone was like this (not just on the spectrum, but just... everyone). It infuriates me to hear people clearing their throat, for example. Just thinking about it now is pissing me off.

Ha, from the wiki: "They are not normally annoyed by sounds that they themselves make." We're so vain :P

Does being annoyed at people humming/whistling qualify, or is that just a separate pet peeve?

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2011, 6:00 pm

Wow is this actually to do with Asperger's? I can't stand people chewing or gulping, it really drives me mad.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

YES I have this too! And if you suffer from this, it is not a good idea to have your bedroom downstairs when you live in a house with 3 other people! :D

My bedroom is only downstairs because I wanted a bigger room, because I am a clutter-accumulator! But the trouble is, being right next to the kitchen, the living-room and the front door is very overwhelming for me because I hear all the annoying sounds what make me want to scream 'til my lungs explode. The distracting and annoying sounds that I hate are:-

-The kettle boiling
-The cat miawing
-People having conversations right outside my bedroom door
-Footsteps bomping about in the room above
-The TV rorting on

And saying ''get people to shut doors'' is not very good advice because people forget to shut the doors all the time, and my brother leaves doors open delibrately because that is his stupid immature way of saying, ''you are stupid''.
Also it drives me absolutely crazy when I hear the people next door banging. They are the type of people who are noisy; are always slamming a door instead of shutting it, are always shouting to eachother instead of talking to eachother, are always playing rough games in the garden that involve yelling and whooping (ie football games), and they are always doing DIY (do-it-yourself) work in their house so about at least once a week you hear hammers banging or drills roaring. All these sounds can't be ignored, and sometimes I don't always want to sit with music on all the time because I like to sometimes have some peace and quiet.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:31 pm

As much as I despise loud and sudden noises, a quiet and continuous one is likely to piss me off even more. Actually, "piss me off" is too kind. It can drive me to a near-psychotic rage.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2011, 9:24 pm

bumble wrote:
I am not officially diagnosed but I hate the sound of electronic equipment buzzing and peoples lips smacking together sounds when they kiss. I usually have a to mute a movie if two actors are making out far too noisily! Kiss quietly god dammit!

My God, that is exactly how I feel! I HATE when I have to hear moist, sucking kissing noises in a movie. I always mute it, too. I also hate sound of someone brushing their teeth and spitting. Gross!

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:32 pm

I believe my mother had this problem and that my older sister does. I have some measure of difficulty with such sounds, but nowhere near as bad as theirs. My mother also had anger issues. Imagine me as a young child growing up, probably having Asperger's, being harped on and yelled at for years, no matter how hard I tried to be quiet, by a very angry mother and sister for noises I couldn't hear myself making and didn't know what to do about. It was harsh. I didn't know I wasn't doing anything awful until I was an adult and a friend called me a "delicate eater". Nobody but my mother and sister ever considered me to be loud or obnoxious about the way I ate. But the two of them gave me real hell. And the situation was made all the more intense by the fact that I was not allowed to complain about noises others made while eating, no matter how loud and awful they were, because that was considered rude of me and too unpleasant for another person to have to endure from me. It had nothing to do with whether or not my mother thought the other person was actually making any sound, because sometimes the fact that they were really couldn't be missed by anyone. It was just another case of the double standard I lived with, because I was considered the annoying one.

So, because I'm sensitive too, I sympathize. But my sympathy is tempered.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm

The misophonia activation scale:

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/the-misoph ... scale.html

I think my highest reaction on that scale has been a nine.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:58 pm

Oh my God! This post is horrible. LOL I can't read another word! I've got goosebumps and chills. The power of suggestion is strong. I have issues with all this stuff.

I hear some light bulbs. I used to think I was insane but it turns out, some lights really do emit sound and sensitive people can hear it.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2011, 12:43 am

Jory wrote:
As much as I despise loud and sudden noises, a quiet and continuous one is likely to piss me off even more. Actually, "piss me off" is too kind. It can drive me to a near-psychotic rage.

THIS!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 12:43 am

Hmm... a while ago I was a passenger in a car during rainy weather. The rain let up but the wipers were still going and making a rubbing noise on the windshield in the absence of enough rain. I just kind of sat there enduring it figuring the driver would eventually just turn the wipers off instead of complain.

Something that bothered me a lot more was on XM Radio some jackass was trying to sell a Tinnitus cure called Quietus. Actually it seems like there was a run of commercials for this on Radio or TV. If I hear a commercial like that begin I feel compelled to turn off the radio or grab the TV remote and hit mute before they play that annoying buzzing sound just so that of us without Tinnitus can experience it. Either that or cram my fingers in my ears trying to shut it out.

Actually thinking about this more about a month ago I was in a travel stop getting gas and food and the background music had this song playing where the singer had been AutoTuned beyond belief and I had to leave the store. It wasn't just a bad song with a bad singer but it was AutoTuned so hard it created this extremely unnatural effect. It would probably not be that different from listening to someone play a Violin that had not idea how to play, but then tried to make it sound correct by AutoTuning.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2011, 3:39 am

Quote:
Wow is this actually to do with Asperger's?

I'm not sure, but it does seem to be common here although I never met someone in real life with this kind of issues and I thought I was crazy or complaining about nothing :roll:
Quote:
Does being annoyed at people humming/whistling qualify, or is that just a separate pet peeve?

From what I've read, I suppose any kind of sound will do if you feel something that is more similar to deep hatred than pain when you hear it.
It's such a relief to see that I'm not alone!