What Does an Avatar Say About a Person

Page 1 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:12 pm

I'm starting to form a theory about avatars.
Could it be that people use a cartoonish or graphic avartar so they don't have to see their own faces associated with their posts?
Could it be because of vanity and ego and wanting to adopt a persona that they think is better than they are in real life?
It's interesting that people post a real picture in the picture threads but still use a graphic as an avatar.
What does ones avatar have to say about the person who adopts it?
Tell us about your avatar if you want to.
Who else has a theory about it?

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2009, 8:20 pm

I don't really care for avatars. The idea of having one is interesting, and I'd probably pick an avatar based off of mood. Humor, interest, or truth messages.

My current avatar is the first avatar I've used in years. It wasn't even my own idea to use it. It is from a show I've watched some of called Bleach, and the text in it is supposed to be a humorous representation of the character, although not necessarily an accurate one.

Avatars actually annoy me usually.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:23 pm

garyww wrote:
I'm starting to form a theory about avatars.

I'll try to answer your questions. While I can only answer for myself, I won't charge you for my time. :wink:

garyww wrote:
Could it be that people use a cartoonish or graphic avartar so they don't have to see their own faces associated with their posts?

That's one of the reasons. I don't want to be reminded of how physically unappealing I am.

garyww wrote:
Could it be because of vanity and ego and wanting to adopt a persona that they think is better than they are in real life?

If by "vanity and ego" you also mean "shy and embarrassed" about my appearance, then yes. I choose avatars that are at least amusing (to me), if not more appealing than my own picture could ever be.

garyww wrote:
What does ones avatar have to say about the person who adopts it?

1. "I don't like the way I look."
2. "I don't want my looks to offend anyone."
3. "I don't want people to know what I really look like."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:25 pm

Some of it may have to do with the ages of members. I'm 15 and I don't think having a picture next to everyone of my posts is very wise. Plus, I do not like the way I look and I do not like looking at myself.

I chose an "emo" version of Hello Kitty because I love that style of dressing and I LOVE Hello Kitty. =]

falcorn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 8:34 pm

i didnt really give my avatar much thought i figured why not put a pic of me up? i like the emo avatar above me because i like old women who wear that style

edit:

on another avatar of another site i actually have a similar avatar like that i just like that kind of image

edit:

maybe if i get the balls to grow a emo haircut like i want to i'll updade my pic

edit: i wasnt here, this is not the person your looking for *waves hand

Last edited by falcorn on 12 Jan 2009, 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:36 pm

By looking at your avatar, I would assume its you, or some rubbydub bumming change.
My reason is that I am so tremendously handsome all the women and men here, wouldn't
leave me alone. :lol:

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:43 pm

It seems so obvious. I can understand your reserve in the matter.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:56 pm

Who would have known post 666 would be about myself???

Anyways.... I designed my avatar at school a while back as a graphic representation of everything I am, only in an abstract form.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2009, 9:06 pm

I wanted to use a photo of myself, but I don't like looking at myself so I put the beard on.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:27 pm

That makes sense and seems like a good idea that satisfies a lot of options. excellent concept.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 9:28 pm

I like cheese.

JoJerome
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2009, 10:00 pm

garyww wrote:

Could be.

Or, it could be that I am way more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it, so I hardly have any photos of myself and none suitable for a tiny avatar.

But I did get an interesting closeup last Summer of one of my cats who often resembles road-kill when sleeping. Road-kill being how I feel a lot of the time, I felt it was a more descriptive representation than any closeup of my face might be.
8)

- Jo

repete86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2009, 10:03 pm

That I like recording, and particularly enjoy old analog reel to reel decks (I own three of them and want more).

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm

Hmmm...my avatar is the third or fourth one that I've used on here. I've used a picture of a Liverbird. Which is the Liverpool Football Club mascot. I'm a raving fan. I've used a photo that I've taken. Definitely more comfortable behind the camera than in front. The one I'm using now is a little gal that I have no idea where I lifted it from. I love her, though. She is standing in front of the mirror making that critical fashion choice that all aspiring bad girls make: Sharp knife or mallet? I just like her. She has my amazingly quirky sense of humour.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm

It says that I'm obsessed with the Punk movement, and I love animals. Sid is also the long-tailed, wet-nosed version of myself. :O)

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 10:41 pm

Absolutely nothing in my case ;)