What behaviors did you have as a toddler?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 9:00 am

I was pretty social as a child (I have both asperger and add). My mum said that I used to go over to random people and invite them to our house when I was 2-3 years old :lol: . I started getting more withdrawn during puberty. As a kid, I used to pace around the room and I also flipped my arms when I was excited about something. I still pace in private and I flip my arms when I'm with other aspies. I started talking pretty early, but I had problems pronouncing certain sounds, so there weren't many people outside my family who understood my speech. About sensory things: I hated having my hair cut as a child. My mum had to bribe me with candy to get me to the hairdresser. I also had problems with a lot of foods, especially if different food items were mixed together (I still don't like soups and stews, because the ingredients are mixed together). As a child, I had the diagnosis minimal brain dysfunction.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2011, 10:06 am

I began to speak at about 1. Abnormally well.
Able to walk on my own a few weeks after I turned 1.
I liked walking in circles.
I wanted to know how to read and kept on asking.
Very attached to my mother.
Very attached to a teddy bear I had to keep touching in order to calm down.
EXTREMELY outgoing and social.
Lots of trouble tying shoelaces and scissors.
Lots of trouble colouring in pictures.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

I didn't speak, make eye contact and didn't like to be held. My parents say that if you took it personaly I was a very mean baby. I would scratch the faces of anyone who tried to hold me. I also didn't learn to sit up or walk until very late. I didn't cry but would scream at the drop of a hat. My mom says she swore I was going to make everyone deaf from my screaming. As I learned to walk, my mother says I was like a litlte hurricane and had no attention span. I also supposedly couldn't distinguish fantasy from reality.

jep1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2011, 3:08 pm

I greatly appreciate these responses.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:21 pm

i only know what my parents say, because i don't emember my toddler years. according to them, in kindergarten i didn't speak to the other kids or the teacher and only nodded my head yes or no if being spoken to. i remember i didn't say anything to the teacher when i was being picked on.
my mother says when i was a year old my father left the house for six days and came back. he didn't shave, so i didn't recognize him with a beard and treated him like a stranger.
in kindergarten i stuck to my older brother like glue and followed him everywhere. no one else existed but him.
i was very reluctant to talk even as a child so i suppose i was even more so as a toddler. i watched treetops swaying in the wind fascinated and raindrops falling and i loved animals so much it was an obsession. i had rage attacks and would hit and lash out.
age six, in school, i'd either walk on a 'bridge' created by a pole on top of a miniature tunnel maybe ten feet long and two feet deep. i'd walk back and forth all recess long, or walk the back of the yard that was deserted. i'd pace and flap my fingers real fast. but six isn't really a toddler, right? i also concentrate on the shape of the words and not their meanings

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:31 pm

I don't remember very much of toddlerhood.....One incident that springs to mind is the time my cousins opened a gaz bottle that was in the garden, and I ran to tell my parents, screaming about an imminent explosion. My parents took me seriously, I was 2 years old. So obviously I could speak well, and my brain seemed to be in working order.
My mother told me she sometimes had to lock me outside, in the garden, she'd carry me out and lock the door, until I stopped screaming and wandered away to play with ants or something. She says those unstoppable tantrums started around age 2, 2 and a half. I could only calm down if I was alone. Probably early meltdowns.
Other than that, I can remember sitting in the living room on the red carpet, near the window, watching the dust floating in a ray of light. I must have done that a lot, since the memory is very vivid. I remember watching ants carrying things, my mother says I used to speak to the ants, asking them where they were going and why, and followed them around trying to see where they were going. I remember that, inch by inch on my butt, following one ant on the warm concrete in front of the house.
I have no idea if it is a "behaviour". It's just "being a kid", I guess.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:12 pm

All I remember is that when I was young and around my family I had no sense of when to stop talking. I think when I was around others I talked very little though.

Now when I'm tired I default to that same type of no sense of stopping talking and otherwise am very quiet.

I'm curious what I was like when I was young though. I just know my parents have said that description of autistic kids do describe me as a whole.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:45 pm

I forgot to add echolalia. I had that.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 4:50 pm

I apparently loved folding wash clothes into neat little piles and banging on pots and pans lol

I actually crawled, walked, sat up, and read very early for my age. But I didn't start speaking regularly until age four due to just being unconfortable with it. I was a huge perfectionist and I was deathly afraid of looking stupid by saying something wrong. Having trouble with the letter "F" at the time only made me feel worse about that (I outgrew that around that age thanks to speech therapy.).

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

Speech therapy is great. If it weren't for that I have no idea what I'd sound like today.

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

Banged my head against the radiator until it bled. repeatedly
watched traffic for hours. People walking by would bring up to the door and ask if my mother if I lived there. lol

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

Intense separation anxiety
Meltdowns when taken anywhere with loud music playing

vickypollard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

Terrible separation anxiety.
Hand flapping, wiggling, sitting on the edge of my bed and "jumping" up and down.
Obsession with wrapping things around my fingers such as pieces of string or elastic bands.

As is listed in my mother's diary about me, I had an imaginary friend called Oom (Dutch for uncle) whom I was very fond of. He apparently died of an unknown cause when I was about 3 but I still kept talking about him, reliving my own made-up memories from when I was even younger.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I forgot to add echolalia. I had that.

Me too!