What are some inappropriate things that you have said?

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm

Thought I would start a thread so we can share our stories ... and laugh at each other. :P

Today I went to buy a Christmas tree. As the guy was putting it through the baler (which, if you don't know, is plastic tube you shove trees through to cover them in netting) I blurted out, "That would be good for putting dead bodies in." (I watch a lot of murder documentaries.)
He just sort of looked at me, so I tried to clarify by adding, "You know, to stop their arms and legs flapping about."
Talk about digging a hole. :oops:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm

Guineapigged wrote:

To bury the body in, right? :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

I remember about 2 years ago a worker in the job-centre asked my name, and because most people seem to mis-hear my name for some reason, I clearly spelt it out for her. I know it's appropriate to do that if somebody doesn't hear, but spelling it out as soon as the person asks for my name isn't what you're supposed to do. My mum was with me at the time, and she said that was rude.

It's not usually I say inappropriate things, it's more that I say things that don't need to be said. I make this mistake more when I'm out in public. The other day and said loudly, ''I have a terrible stink up my nose!'' and it must have been rather inappropriate or needed to be kept to myself because just after I said it, 3 women stared at me all at the same time who were near me. But it's appropriate to me - I have sinus problems!

Also on Bonfire Night I had seen the man I fancy, and felt good afterwards, and I kept saying to my mum and my aunt, ''I feel turned on.'' Later that night my mum told me that saying that is something that I should keep to myself.

Then people wonder why I keep quiet in social situations, or better yet, avoid social situations!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:20 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
Thought I would start a thread so we can share our stories ... and laugh at each other. :P

Today I went to buy a Christmas tree. As the guy was putting it through the baler (which, if you don't know, is plastic tube you shove trees through to cover them in netting) I blurted out, "That would be good for putting dead bodies in." (I watch a lot of murder documentaries.)
He just sort of looked at me, so I tried to clarify by adding, "You know, to stop their arms and legs flapping about."

That's quite funny!! I can't think of anything funny. :?

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2011, 1:22 pm

Too many to mention, though I guess one memorable one as a child was when the priest was paying us a home visit, I think he was new to the parish and he was telling us about his family and how he was the only one to become a priest and I chirped up, "I guess you were the oddball of the family"....and it has gone on ever since. He took it in stride and who knows what my poor mother was thinking...as an adult I seem to have a special skill to say the one thing every one else is thinking but has the manners not to mention...sometimes friends have thanked me later, as what insight, I am so glad you said that. But other times they probably think OMG what a jerky thing to say....

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

When I was 4, I saw a women with grey hair, stared at her for a while, then turned to my mum and said "if somebody has grey hair does that mean they're going to die soon?"
The thing is, I didn't mean it in that way at all... I was asking a question and didn't really understand it would upset somebody back then.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:39 pm

You mean everything that comes out of my mouth?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 1:54 pm

All the time. I posted a thread called "Ever say something stupid?" about that very thing. I had taken my 15yo daughter to a friends house and met the mother for the first time. The mother had one of those short in the back, longer in the front, spiked on top Jon and Kate Plus 8, Kate hairstyles and the top was spiked up like a rooster. I was entirely too pleased with that spikey part on the top and kept staring at it. I complimented her on her hair of course, asked who did it, if it was easy to style, etc. The NORMAL things to do when you really like somebody elses hair. Then I said "Can I touch it?" just like a 5 year old. She let me. It was only later that evening that I realized I shouldn't have said that.

Also, I suppose this was the worst one I ever did. My oldest son was about 13 and had asked me to call the parents of a boy he used to be friends with and invite him to our house since we had moved a long way away, and they hadn't talked for a while, then he wanted to talk on the phone to the boy after I was done talking to the mother. I called and when I started asking the mother if the boy could come over, she said "We lost him last year". Most people know what that means, even I know that that means, but said like that unexpectedly, I took it completely differently. I said "Oh my God! How long did it take you to find him?" She handed the phone to her husband who explained. He was killed in a dirt bike accident. I apologized profusely and told him that I didn't mean it like it came out, I wasn't making light of it or how she said it, I just couldn't process that he had been killed, I only thought of "lost" as in "lost at the mall" or something. He understood. Sort of. I did send the parents a plant with a sympathy note and a note of apology for my blunder.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

13 Dec 2011, 2:13 pm

When I was very young, my great-grandma was hugging me as she was leaving to go home. She was 91. She said, "I hope to see you later, honey". I replied honestly, "But you're really old. You're going to die before you see me again". Now, understand that I wasn't trying to hurt her feelings. I just told her what I thought, but my mom yelled at me something fierce afterwards.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I remember about 2 years ago a worker in the job-centre asked my name, and because most people seem to mis-hear my name for some reason, I clearly spelt it out for her. I know it's appropriate to do that if somebody doesn't hear, but spelling it out as soon as the person asks for my name isn't what you're supposed to do. My mum was with me at the time, and she said that was rude.

Weird, I do that all the time and other people do that too. Must be a UK thing that is rude, in the USA it's totally acceptable unless we're all being rude. :?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Weird, I do that all the time and other people do that too. Must be a UK thing that is rude, in the USA it's totally acceptable unless we're all being rude. :?

I think Americans are just rude.

There I go again.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

13 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

Ganondox wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

There I go again.
More often than not, we are. :)

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

Not so much a funny one, but one that always sticks out in my mind when I remember my school days:
I used to go to "recorder club" with about three other girls. We were playing a tune and one of the other girls (who happened to be one of my best friends) kept getting it wrong and it made me angry. I turned to her and said, "Do you even practice, Kym?" I hadn't intended it to be rude; I wasn't asking a rhetorical question, I genuinely wondered if she had practiced or not and if that was the reason she couldn't play it right. Of course, by the time I realised that's the kind of question I should have kept to myself, my friend was in tears and I was sent out of the room. :cry:

drichpi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

Ganondox wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

There I go again.

Not all Americans are rude, just the ones from the United States

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:58 pm

me and two ladies i knew sat in the park and this one lady handed everyone sandwiches. i wanted to pay her a compliment, wasnt trying to be rude. just wanted to saw my appreciation of her generosity, so i said, "you could've been a waitress, serving everyone." She got mad and i don't blame her.
i was at my nieghbor's house and this couple had two daughters, except the man didnt look like them at all, so i said to his wife, "they're not really his daughters, are they?" he looked crushed and the woman said, "He's their father in every other way, except the biological way." i felt real bad about this.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 3:18 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
me and two ladies i knew sat in the park and this one lady handed everyone sandwiches. i wanted to pay her a compliment, wasnt trying to be rude. just wanted to saw my appreciation of her generosity, so i said, "you could've been a waitress, serving everyone." She got mad and i don't blame her.
i was at my nieghbor's house and this couple had two daughters, except the man didnt look like them at all, so i said to his wife, "they're not really his daughters, are they?" he looked crushed and the woman said, "He's their father in every other way, except the biological way." i felt real bad about this.

Oh nooo lol this is so sad!! It could easily have come out of MY mouth, though....