Short, low maintenance, AS-friendly hairstyles?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2011, 8:38 am

Basically, I hate hair, but I don't want to look like a cancer victim or give people any more reasons to call me "butch".
Anybody here have a very short hairstyle that works for them (without having to use special creams and wax etc.) I want my hair short so it's less traumatic to wash, but it has to be so short that it doesn't touch my face or neck. Any ideas or am I being totally unrealistic?

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 8:45 am

Yes. I have my husband use his clippers on it on a longish setting - when freshly cut it's about an inch all over. Works for me. Wet or wash if necessary, towel dry, run fingers through it if necessary if it's particularly untidy. Done. Sometimes I get up in the morning and it looks just fine so I don't have to do anything.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 8:48 am

Google the Dorothy Hammil "Wedge" haircut from the 1970s. It's her back when she was skating in the 70's not the modified one she has now. I used to wear mine that way, and I'm considering getting it again, because I'm getting too old to wear long hair now.

It's to the neckline on the back, with the top layer long but only to the neckline hairline back there. It's all cut that length and the front is short and it takes maybe five minutes to do. You blowdry the back upside down, then under. Blowdry the front and sides back, you're done. If you find somebody who has cut a wedge before, it will always fall right back into place when you move your head so no brushing and fixing all day and absolutely no hairspray.

The drawback is that it hasn't been "in style" in a long time, well since the late 70s. But, I still got it even in the early 2000's. Make sure you find somebody who knows how to cut the ORIGINAL Dorothy Hammil WEDGE cut. Not somebody who can look at a picture, but somebody who has cut it before. Thats important because cut right, you do nothing to it all day after the five minutes drying it in the morning.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

Just shave it off and don't care what others think. Stuff 'em. It's only appearances, and appearances mean absolutely nothing in the end.

I do when I have the energy to do such. I hate the feeling of it on my skin. I'm in the lack of energy stage, and I don't let someone touch my head that I don't know, so my hair will be long mess soon. I'm sure as soon as it touches my neck I'll find the energy to get rid of it.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 10:11 am

I am female but I have very short hair. I wash it sometimes with 2 in 1 shampoo and that's it. I don't even need to brush it or use a hairdryer (I HATE hairdriers). I don't understand why so many women fuss over their hair. My hair is very low-maintenance but still looks ok.

KakashiYay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2011, 10:27 am

It all depends on the kind of hair you have and the shape of your face.

I have thick, wavy hair that can be worn really short or really long- anything in between looks like a disaster.

It's really worth it to find a decent hairdresser, talk to him/her about what you want, and let them give you the best cut for your hair and face.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

I like my hair rather short and kinda messy.....thing is I hate using hairspray and such to give it body, so I am going to have to look for some natural shampoo that does not add extra moisture to my hair it gets greasy really easy. Thus far plain bar soap seems to work the best for my hair but its a little hard to use a bar of soap to wash hair so maybe I can just find better shampoo.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I like my hair rather short and kinda messy.....thing is I hate using hairspray and such to give it body, so I am going to have to look for some natural shampoo that does not add extra moisture to my hair it gets greasy really easy. Thus far plain bar soap seems to work the best for my hair but its a little hard to use a bar of soap to wash hair so maybe I can just find better shampoo.

St Ives Jojoba shampoo is good to add body. Also, any of the Big Sexy products are good for body too. The Big Sexy comes in a red package. Any Jojoba shampoo, other than St Ives will work as well. The Aussie kangaroo shampoo for extra body is good too.

Drying your hair upside down, roots first is a good way to add body. Then stand up and brush it back and style the ends, which should still be damp.

I love hair! Too bad mine is so thin.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
".......the Dorothy Hammil"

I was just to say that - As I understand, this style is now re-popular (not that we're looking for trends :) ). Still, I bet this would be a good option & it does look nice without a lot of fuss. Ask your hair dresser?

Oh, here it is....I guess Dorothy cut her in this style because, as a ice skater, it's easy to maintain and does not get in the way. On her, it's cute:

http://blog.salonbuzz.com/?p=986

My hair is medium/long, with fringe, and I often pull it up. Best of luck and you'll find something nice.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:28 am

Guineapigged wrote:
Basically, I hate hair, but I don't want to look like a cancer victim or give people any more reasons to call me "butch".
Anybody here have a very short hairstyle that works for them (without having to use special creams and wax etc.) I want my hair short so it's less traumatic to wash, but it has to be so short that it doesn't touch my face or neck. Any ideas or am I being totally unrealistic?

I'm assuming your a woman but you really should mention your gender explicitly

anyway I like women with this hair http://www.flickr.com/photos/clickflash ... otostream/

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

Whenever I go really short, I get it cut like Hallie Berry. I love that cut. Wash, mouse/gel/whatever to keep it from going really flat. Air dry. Swimming: towel dry, finish by sun. Easy as that.
BTW, I'm fair skinned with slightly wavy hair and this cut still works. I love that it is meant to be worn kind of messy.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2011, 12:14 pm

I shave my head with clippers every couple of weeks .

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm

My hair is really long. It always has been. It's usually a mess, but I feel weird with short hair.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm

My step mother cuts my hair in a short, layered cut, with the side hair cut to above the ears, once or twice a year. The front and near front sides are brushed forward first, as that's how they fall normally, so this gives a better, longer lasting cut. In between full cuts from my step mom, I cut the bangs and sides over and back of my ears, myself with a short pair of salon scissors my mother used to own. I found them when going through her stuff after she died. I kept them to do cheap between cut trims. They are a big help.

I never put any kind of gunk on my hair, I only use shampoo. I never use any kind of volumizing or body shampoos, as I have plenty of natural body, and thick hair. I did use such shampoos sometimes years ago, and it was always a mistake. They made my hair look way too puffy. It looks better without that stuff.

I suggest you try getting a short layered cut at least once to try it, only remember to notice which way it naturally falls, and have it cut with that direction in mind. Many years ago I myself got the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut several times, like another poster did. It was nice, but now I prefer the short layered cut. It is even easier to take care of.

The salons have books with pictures of hair dos. Check them out next time you go. And remember, we on the spectrum are all:

A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

Buzz it. Twice a year. Or maybe once a year. Or maybe wait five or so years, then buzz it.

I don't think about it much until it gets in the way and bugs the hell out of me. I keep it neat either way, as much as I can. I don't care at all what it looks like to anyone else. Never have.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

14 Dec 2011, 1:01 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Buzz it. Twice a year. Or maybe once a year. Or maybe wait five or so years, then buzz it.

I don't think about it much until it gets in the way and bugs the hell out of me. I keep it neat either way, as much as I can. I don't care at all what it looks like to anyone else. Never have.
I used to always get buzz cuts as a kid. Now my hair is kind of long. I like my bangs. Kind of like a Harry Potter-sh hairstyle.