Howard - video/article on adults with ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

Took this article on adults with ASD from facebook.

I particularly like the video part way down with Howard, a man who was diagnosed in his late adulthood. He's great.

I can't link directly to the video, but if you scroll about half way down you'll find it there.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/autis ... .htmlstory

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 9:19 am

I've been thinking this for years that actually, there is no epidemic. As well as better diagnosis, there is the addition of high functioning autism and Aspergers which were previously not known about. The average population has risen much higher as well, so therefore it would make sense that there are more autistic people.

I also expect that people would not talk about their 'autistic' offspring as most of them were probably hidden in institutions under labels such as 'schizophrenia' or 'mental retardation' when actually they were autistic. There was a real stigma with mental illness, so it is unlikely that people would just randomly tell people 'I have two kids, one is normal and the other is schizophrenic'. Nowadays people are much more able to talk about autism because they are better aware of what it is.

The assessment that was provided with the document was fascinating but quite sad at the same time. I expect that Benjamin could have done quite well had he been born more recently.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2011, 10:45 am

Quote:
I can't link directly to the video, but if you scroll about half way down you'll find it there.

Direct link to Howard McBroom Video

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 10:59 am

^ta :)

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2011, 11:01 am

** Click here for Howard McBroom's Video **

Enjoyed the article and video, very thought provoking thank you :)