How does the AS mind work differently than the NT mind?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

When you're watching tv, and your train of thought goes off on a tangent, are you a) able to follow whats going on in the tv show or b) do you have to rewind it?
Poll ended at 23 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm
I'm an Aspie/Autistic and I choose a. 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
I'm an Aspie/Autistic and I choose b. 79%  79%  [ 33 ]
I'm an NT and I choose a. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm an NT and I choose b. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 42

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 6:59 pm

I've talked to many NT's and confirmed that they all think different than me in a very specific way. But I haven't spoken to any Aspie/Autistics yet. So I'd like your input so we can figure this out.

I asked these questions:

1> When you are talking to someone, are you also able to think about internal things?
a) Yes. I don't have this problem. I can keep track of many things at the same time.
b) No. If I accidentally go off on a tangent in my mind, then I completely lose track of the conversation.

2> When you're watching tv, and your train of thought goes off on a tangent, are you a) able to follow whats going on in the tv show or b) do you have to rewind it?
a) Able to follow tv show and my internal train of thought.
b) No I have to rewind the show.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:15 pm

The part about rewinding is exactly why I dislike television and love books. When the material is interesting and I happen to be thinking to the side (tangent?), it cannot be rewinded if it was a broadcast rather than personal playback.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 8:43 pm

Please ask as many friends and family as you know.

We need NT data too.

Reply with the data :)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 2:45 am

I'd tend to say that I can. Usually I don't need to focus that much to develop an idea. If something REALLY grabbed my attention, then no as I can get pretty obsessed with some problems. But, I definitely can always be thinking about lots of things at once.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 3:56 am

Hi. I did not vote because there are not enough options.

Firstly I don't watch TV if I can help it. But I know what you mean. If my mind wanders and the program is complicated (like a complex thriller or drama), then I have no hope of knowing whats happening and I will likely turn off.

Secondly, if the TV show is simple (like a soap), then I don't care if my mind wanders.

I am an aspie.

One thing I notice is that when I am watching a film for the first time, unless the film is quite simple I will misfollow it even if I pay attention. Usually I will watch it twice before I can follow it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Dec 2011, 4:06 am

I answered b) but with the ability to rewind, I don't usually unless it seemed really relevant. I find that a lot of dialogue is redundant and unnecessary, unless you take into account the fact that people are likely to miss something due to bathroom break or conversation or whatever.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2011, 6:55 am

Robdemanc wrote:

Firstly I don't watch TV if I can help it. But I know what you mean. If my mind wanders and the program is complicated (like a complex thriller or drama), then I have no hope of knowing whats happening and I will likely turn off.

Secondly, if the TV show is simple (like a soap), then I don't care if my mind wanders.

I am an aspie.

One thing I notice is that when I am watching a film for the first time, unless the film is quite simple I will misfollow it even if I pay attention. Usually I will watch it twice before I can follow it.

Hi Robdemanc, Thats why I had another question in the post:

1> When you are talking to someone, are you a) also able to think about internal things, or do you lose track of the conversation and you would have to ask that someone to repeat themselves?
a) Yes. I don't have this problem. I can keep track of many things at the same time.
b) No. If I accidentally go off on a tangent in my mind, then I completely lose track of the conversation, and I would have to ask them to repeat themselves.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2011, 6:57 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I'd tend to say that I can. Usually I don't need to focus that much to develop an idea. If something REALLY grabbed my attention, then no as I can get pretty obsessed with some problems. But, I definitely can always be thinking about lots of things at once.

Hi Awesome, what about this situation?

1> When you are talking to someone, are you a) also able to think about internal things, or do you lose track of the conversation and you would have to ask that someone to repeat themselves?
b) No. If I accidentally go off on a tangent in my mind, then I completely lose track of the conversation, and I would have to ask them to repeat themselves.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 8:00 am

I don't think there's much difference between NT thinking and Aspie thinking when it comes to watching TV or films. When I first watch a film, I never ''get'' it quick, but when I watch it the second or third time, I understand more of it, and it seems more ''clear'' to me. Then once when I went to the cinema with 2 of my NT cousins, after the film one of them said, ''usually the film always seems different when I watch it again to the first time I watched it'', so he must be thinking the same way I think because I feel exactly the same.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 8:01 am

rombomb2 wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

I am an aspie.

Hi Robdemanc, Thats why I had another question in the post:

Ok. I will answer B to that question. And I have more problems like that when its more than one person.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

kevinjh wrote:
The part about rewinding is exactly why I dislike television and love books. When the material is interesting and I happen to be thinking to the side (tangent?), it cannot be rewinded if it was a broadcast rather than personal playback.

Some people thanks to TIVO can rewind anything they are watching. I guess it automatically records what they are watching and keeps in temporarily.

As for my own answer, I can't really rightly choose autistic or NT. I don't watch much TV, and when I do not often something I can rewind (no TIVO). But when I am, or watching a video posted on the internet, I do sometimes rewind to catch something I missed. I'd probably answer B, if I could decide which of the two B options to answer. :)

On the other question, I guess I don't usually go off on tangents when talking with others. Occasionally I'm distracted enough, and also interested enough, to ask someone to repeat themselves. But not often.

Last edited by Mysty on 17 Dec 2011, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

Hi Mysty,

if you don't watch tv, then consider this question instead:
When you are talking to someone, are you a) usually also able to think about internal things, or b) do you lose track of the conversation and you would have to ask that someone to repeat themselves?
a) Yes. I don't have this problem. I can keep track of many trains of thought at the same time. That includes social situations and my own trains of thought.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 11:45 am

rombomb2 wrote:
Hi Mysty,

if you don't watch tv, then consider this question instead:
When you are talking to someone, are you a) usually also able to think about internal things, or b) do you lose track of the conversation and you would have to ask that someone to repeat themselves?
a) Yes. I don't have this problem. I can keep track of many trains of thought at the same time. That includes social situations and my own trains of thought.

I edited my post and answered that already.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 4:09 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
Hi Awesome, what about this situation?

I answer yes to both. I treated them as the same question.

I have a quick enough mind that even if I end up missing something, I can usually fill in the gaps. Also, as I stated, I do not need much focus to develop an idea.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2011, 6:23 pm

I am a self-diagnosed aspie awaiting formal diagnosis and I chose answer B for both.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

Awaiting diagnosis after positive screening (neuropsych appt is 3/28/12). Answer for me is B. I also have ADHD tho, that may also be why.