Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Yes. Moreso in the past than I do now, however. It wasn't, and isn't, that I am embarrassed by them. It's more that I don't like the attention and followup questions people will ask once they learn that information. I don't like extra attention and I do not like answering questions about that stuff.

chlov wrote:
Or, did you mean "hiding" as "not telling it to people"?

That is my interpretation of the question, yeah. You're quite right that there are things I do that are impossible to hide even if I attempted to.

swords
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

I've always known something was different about me and so have others, but I only recently found out I have aspergers (undiagnosed). Way too much stuff makes sense and I have some form of tourettes but I can usually keep it in round people. I'm convinced my parents know also but I don't know how they perceive aspergers. I have always been able to hide my quirky behaviour but its reached the point where I just can't anymore and also due to being in full time employment people pick up that something is different very easily. Its gotten to the point where I am getting accused of being "stoned" or 'out of it' and being called a ret*d and what not. I just want people to understand me.I want to tell people but I don't know who or how. I'm just anxious as to how they will perceive it, suggestions? The only person I can truly trust is my sister whom I'm very close with and I recognise aspie symptoms in her a lot too especially recently so I think she could be a good shout, but I would find it necessary to tell her too. She knows she is very similar to me also so If I say she will know.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

No official dx yet. I have told my close friends about this. They know most of it better than I do anyway!
Currently, its like my Crohn's disease & arthritis, it will be on a Need To Know basis only.

Sincerely,
Matthew

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2013, 8:07 pm

I've only told people online so far, but a few people have suspected I have it.
I used to try to be normal until I realized doing that was boring.

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

Ihide it from everyone.

SouffleGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2013, 3:59 am

Many of my friends know. I don't bother to hide it from them because it explains to them why I do some of the things I do. However, there are some people who have found out who have been sceptical that I have it because I was never formally diagnosed. But I ignore those people.
By this point, I don't even need to try hiding it because I am already so good at blending in.

alan78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2013, 8:30 pm

I have hid it all my life, but i feel now i will confide it in those i trust. I think it will make life easier.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2013, 8:32 pm

I don't, but I don't tell people unless they ask.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2013, 8:39 pm

I don't hide it, but I certainly don't go around parading about it. If somebody asks then I would tell them.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 6:00 am

My husband knows, a few of my "friends" know, my boss and my colleagues know. Haven't encountered any problems with these folk knowing. My family don't know because I am not really in contact with them much so they don't need to.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

I got diagnosed a month after I started out at Sixth Form, so I haven't told anyone there that I have it AS, as I don't trust them enough to tell them about my lives. However, some people have commented on some of my 'quirks'/mannerisms, so I have no doubt that they'll eventually find out...although a few of my teachers know, as my diagnostic report was sent to them. My best friend of 8 years also knows about it, and so do a few other people from my old school, but I didn't tell them in person; they found out one of my videos on YouTube. Also, my immediate family know, but most other family members don't know.

I really hope that in the future I will be able to feel comfortable in sharing this information with others, and hopefully when I do people will not react negatively to it.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg