Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 12:29 am

I am quite suprised these places don't bother NT's as much, considering the problems they have are so obvious. Yet still, they are the most popular places to shop nowadays. For me, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Okay, so what's wrong with big-box stores? Well, they didn't used to be as bad as they are now, but there are several elements I cannot stand about them.

Most have open ceilings now, where they used to have acoustical tile. Noise bounces around and reverberates throughout the stores. A screaming child at the far end of the building can be heard at the opposite end just as loud. Of course, screaming children aren't the only thing making noise in these places, there' P.A. systems, cash registers, and the gamut of in-store displays that talk and make noise to grab attention. Add to this the light of magnetic-ballast mercury vapor lamps, which is even worse than fluroescent, and they are just totally unbearable. Most of these stores also do not have well defined traffic patterns through them, and when they actually are there, they are cluttered with sale items and other displays that one must avoid running into. Add to this all the rude, unhelpful staff, and you've got a recipe for total meltdown!

What I don't understand is why stores seem to think this 'busyness' and noise attracts customers? I tend to like a calmer shopping environment that's not filled with so much noise and overload. I remember department stores of old being filled with calming music, indirect lighting, and were more attractive visually too. I could tolerate the long checkout lines if the modern stores weren't so chaotic. Numerous times, I have stood in lines at Wal-marts, Targets and the like, only to just simply leave my goods in the cart and walk away from it without paying simply because I couldn't stand another minute in these unbearable places!

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 3:33 am

Ive been told the bustle and activity is exciting to NTs and makes them more active and impulsive (aka will buy more stuff) but I cant see how that could possibly be right.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

08 Oct 2006, 3:55 am

Probably due to 'invisible competition'. Because there are you many people, they get the feeling of competition aka. I'll buy more stuff than these people to make myself look better than them. Typical stuff, now that I explain it!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 6:15 am

You're all correct to a degree.

These stores without the ceiling panels give the illusion that the store is much more huge than it is. Combine this with a confusing floor plan and you give the "feel" of a warehouse rather than a department store. Customers will subconsciously (or consciously in many cases) equate this feeling with "warehouse prices." They have the illusion that they are getting great deals because they are stupid and actually think that these are wholesale prices. Of course they are wrong but will gladly buy 48 roles of toilet paper because "omg it's so cheap how can i resist?"

When buying bulk units it is hard to accurately guage the price per item if you are to lazy to A) remember the regular price, and B) divide the bulk price. Luckily for the store most consumers are indeed lazy. Certainly the price per item is somewhat less than what you'd pay elsewhere, but I seriously doubt it is worth the hassle of storing all this extra product in your home. I won't even get into people buying items they don't need just because of perceived value!

As for the "hustle and activity" effect pointed out by Fraya, I believe this is also a big factor. NTs are highly group-oriented and followers of the crowd. They will take a "when in Rome" approach to this situation and end up buying a lot of stuff they don't need. When I go into a store I have a list, or at least a mental list... I know exactly what I want down to the model number. My exception to this is when I am in a grocery store and I am hungry. Damn, those cookies smell good!

08 Oct 2006, 8:26 am

what is it about these places that would bother us? I never had any problems? the only thing that bothers me is when i feel inconvienced like when i go in the evening and they close the self checkout early and there is a long line and i have to wait, the presence of other people doesn't bother me. once i was in line at wal*mart and the cashier closed the checkout line when was still customers waiting to checkout in that lane.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 8:44 am

I happen to like these kinds of stores you can never have too much of anything IMHO. Plus I hate shopping anyways, I might as well get everything in bulk so I won't have to go shopping again for a while.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 2:49 pm

:x

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 2:52 pm

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 2:52 pm

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2006, 3:16 pm

The hustle and bustle answer is right. My husband works for a certain chain grocery store and they do the opposite of the Big Box, but with the same effect. They purposefully keep their stores, checkout lanes and parking lots too small. They receive complaints daily but those people keep coming back. They decorate the stores to look like health food-that's right, the color of the walls and the packaging causes the shoppers to believe they are buying health food. They don't advertise on tv, most of their ads are word of mouth. So people have the illusion of knowing a secret that only "their type of people" know about.
It's a great game and they make craploads of money from it. Especially after 9/11 when everyone was fearful and depressed. They sell comfort food (wine, cheese and lots of frozen stuff).

I have the opposite reaction to these stores. I won't shop at Kmart and Walmart because I have unpleasant experiences there. I go to regular grocery stores and Target-minimal sensory issues and more pleasant experiences.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 5:39 pm

Places like walmart make me nervous and I don't enjoy crowded malls either.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 5:46 pm

If I must go in them and sometimes I have to I try and got right after they open first thing in the morning before the crowds. I think the main thing about them that attracts customers is the prices most people I know hate going to them.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2006, 2:55 pm

I try to shop late in the evening (right before closing time) to avoid the crowds and noise. Those stores drive me mad on a weekend afternoon. Costco, WAl-Mart, Target, etc- I'd rather shop these stores and get what we need in one place and get it over with than go from store to store.

I honestly can't understand how many people enjoy shopping. To me, it's a necessary evil and I avoid it as much as I can.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2006, 3:58 pm

I actually somewhat like big box stores too. Examples over here would be, let's see, B&Q, the Big W, and possibly some of the Tesco and ASDA stores. Of course, I thrive on Sainsbury's but wouldn't call it a big box store, the atmosphere is a bit more congenial and less warehouse-like.