Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:29 am

I think restraining children, is barbaric. What kind of adult fears a small child so much, that they need to hold them down like they're a wild animal? I'd really like to know what the point is in this. To teach the child to obey? That they're bigger and should be feared? I think this is the worst form of neurodiversity bias. These teachers really think the best way to handle someone on the spectrum, is to treat them like a wild rabid dog?

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:32 am

The problem to me seems to be, that the teachers who your friend's child should be able to trust. Are instead bullying your friend's child, by using physical force.

Pippen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2006, 8:41 am

The fact that she's even needing restraining at this age is indicative that something or more likely a number of somethings are very wrong. Whether that's the dx, the school settings, the training the staff has received and/or manner in which they are handling her, medications, etc.

It often takes a lot of detective work to get to the bottom of it, but it's critical because it sounds like ragin/restraint is the norm and not the exception.

If this were my kid I would also want her seen by a pediatric neurologist if that hadn't already been done. Sometimes there are other conditions contributing to the raging that can only be detected by brain imaging.