NTs, which personality bothers you more

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Let me say first, this is all based on superficial perception of the person and how you might see the person, not what is inside.

Personality A: Perceived as cold, aloof, standoffish, maybe snobbish or shy. Keeps to themselves, doesnt really interact very much with other people. NTs perceive that this person chooses not to interact with people purposely.

Personality B: Outgoing yet very quirky, awkward and weird. This person makes strong attempts to interact with others yet NTs dont always like them. NTs might perceive them as a freak, weirdo and perhaps rather annoying.

NTs which personality bothers you more? I was just curious.

I hope you figured out what relation Im drawing this to.

I'm an NT and I am personality A, and I can be personality B if I feel like it, I can also be a stereotypical social genuis if I try but I don't - mostly it's just more fun to watch people itch their heads confused over what to make of you.

I usually like both personalities but I prefer A

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:29 am

I'm mostly A, but if I get too comfortable in an environment I turn more B. I think B is probably more annoying, but A is less approachable.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 4:07 pm

i am nt (not autistic), and i would be more annoyed by personality B. that has more to do with MY personality than that of person B tho. i am an introvert, extroverts annoy me more than other introverts. an outgoing gregarious person just leaves me wishing they would go away and stop talking to me.

i think this kind of thing really has more to do with the person perceiving than anything else.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 7:46 am

Although I said I'm B, I can temper that side of me and, when I'm with several people, I naturally revert back to A.

I was at an art class and one of the students was the most obvious female Aspie I've ever met. I'd say she was B, but, like me, she had shy tendencies too (which she told me about). One night, she wasn't there, and one of the other students told me she found her a bit much. That made me sad to think people really thought that, especially as I've been criticised at work for the same sort of thing.

But, I found being A more of a problem. I was told by a colleague whom I had become friendly with that, for the first few years of knowing me, she thought I was stand-offish, which isn't the real me at all. I was bullied at school and the main name I was called was 'snob', which I'm not. A for me is pathological and didn't help me progress any in the workplace or at uni. At least with B, people get a hint to the real me.

Maybe I have the best of both worlds, as I can be either or somewhere in between, depending on the circumstances. But, A is where I am when I'm feeling uncomfortable, so that's not normal for me. I'm also an introvert and need my own company to re-energise.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2011, 9:28 am

Personality B because the interaction is unwanted.

'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 2:43 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
It probably depends a lot on the person doing the perceiving.

Personality A is more annoying to me, because I know even less of what is going on in their minds than the mind of someone with Personality B, a less guarded person.

So that's why people don't like me.......because they don't know what goes on in my mind, I guess that explains why I got called a psychopath even though I am pretty far from that. But I never thought quiet could be annoying....I figured it was the opposite of annoying.

I don't know if that's why most people don't like Personality A. They probably have other reasons that are totally different from mine. I just feel less comfortable around Personality A, because I am totally blind to their minds due to them revealing very little about themselves. I am not talking about the natural autistic obliviousness to social interaction and quietness during social interaction when I am thinking of Personality A. My first thought was of the NT INTJ personality type, someone who knows what is going on during interactions. Almost everyone I know seems to have this personality, and it is very difficult for me to communicate with them in a genuine manner. I am far less guarded, because there are no social signals preventing me from being unguarded.

I'm an A. I'm not guarded. Most times I just don't have much to say.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 5:19 pm

I had thought of this because Im more personality A. I was wondering if the people at my work were at least partially annoyed with me because I am so antisocial. Its not that I dont want to interact, I tend to be very guarded about myself and also its hard to interact with the type of enviorenment Im in.

Then I there is this co-worker who works the night shift, he clearly has ADHD. He's very socially awkward but he's in your face socially awkward. He talks very much to most of the customers. The customers often get pissed at him, he doesn't seem bother by it. He was more personality B. His social skills isn't very good either but he's very friendly but can be annoying to your typical NT.

AQ: 33
Borderline aspie here

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 6:51 pm

Ganondox wrote:
I'm mostly A, but if I get too comfortable in an environment I turn more B. I think B is probably more annoying, but A is less approachable.

This.

NTs reactions vary, as expected. When I am Type A, most of them avoid me, with a few trying to help me "loosen up". When I am Type B, some will find me very funny, while most of them seem to think I am annoying.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 7:13 pm

I am always Personality A. People will tell me their life stories, their cat's life stories, anything and everything. I seem to be the counselor lady. My B ex has more actual friends than I do, but people are more obviously annoyed when they can't get him to shush. He's also very bouncy at times.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
NTs reactions vary, as expected. When I am Type A, most of them avoid me, with a few trying to help me "loosen up". When I am Type B, some will find me very funny, while most of them seem to think I am annoying.

That pretty much fits with my experience.

I'm type A. I'm very quiet and it takes some effort to get to know me and I don't usually interact much with people unless the other person seems interested or interesting. 95% of people downright avoid me or ignore me and find me weird and never even give me a chance. The other 5% try to "get me out of my shell" or try to push me to interact typically, assuming that I'm just shy or too guarded, when in fact I just don't have the social skills to socially interact much, don't know what to talk about and don't relate much with other people at all.

My husband is type B. He talks a lot and loves to goof around and he has long monologues about his special interests or political opinions and can be quite "in your face" sometimes. Many people find him funny, but most also find him annoying, rude or strange.

I have one friend who I almost never meet anymore, I have very few acquaintances, my own family doesn't stay in touch much (even though most of them live in the same town as I) and it has always been hard for me to make friends and get to know new people even though I would like to. My husband on the other hand has many friends and a lot of acquaintances, is in better touch with his family (even though they live in another country) and is constantly making new friends and getting to know new people, even though he has little interest in making friends and finds friendships unimportant.

Observing our very different experiences, being a type A and type B, I'm tempted to assume that more people dislike type A than type B. I have the feeling that people tend to find both a little annoying, but in addition to that there seems to be some kind of fear towards A, maybe because people don't know what goes on in our mind and there is this stereotype about quiet people being crazy freaks who tend to snap one day and go on a killing spree. Know the stereotypes about the dangerous, quiet loner that seems to surface whenever there is a school shooting or something like that? That's the image that seems to kind of stick in people's head regarding type A people.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Let me say first, this is all based on superficial perception of the person and how you might see the person, not what is inside.

Personality A: Perceived as cold, aloof, standoffish, maybe snobbish or shy. Keeps to themselves, doesnt really interact very much with other people. NTs perceive that this person chooses not to interact with people purposely.

Personality B: Outgoing yet very quirky, awkward and weird. This person makes strong attempts to interact with others yet NTs dont always like them. NTs might perceive them as a freak, weirdo and perhaps rather annoying.

NTs which personality bothers you more? I was just curious.

I hope you figured out what relation Im drawing this to.

I suppose I'm NT enough to answer this. Definitely B. See, the A person, they are off doing their own thing, and it's like, okay, whatever. They aren't interacting with me, so they don't bother me. Live and let live.

But the B people, those we have to deal with. Even if we like them and care about them, there's still the frustration of having to deal with them. It's challenging, because we can't just go by our default how to treat others; we have to learn the person.

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2011, 9:37 pm

I used to be more of a Type B person, mostly back in high school, and towards the end of my last year of middle school. Some people found me annoying and weird, but many liked me. I didn't have a particularly hard time finding friends; many of the kids that would become friends came to me.

This was also true when I started going to the local community college in August of 2009. I made a few friends during this time period.

Due to circumstances that occurred at the start of 2010, mainly cuts in transit service which eliminated all evening and weekend service along with reducing the bus route that goes past my house to running only once an hour, I started to become more of a Type A. As my stress levels increased, my ability to be comfortable around my peers decreased exponentially. People I used to talk to, I suddenly found myself unable to talk to. I actually lost a couple of friends during this time period.

Even these days, I'm still mainly Type A if I'm not 100 percent comfortable in the environment I'm currently in. I do find it almost impossible to interact with those I don't know in this situation, even when I make a conscious effort to do so.

Type B does still surface for me If I am feeling very comfortable and eager with a situation.

Like many people have posted before, I do say that NT's would find Type A to be particularly unsettling, since they don't know what the person is thinking of, they'll tend to avoid them out of fear of them turning out to be some sort of a psychopath or something.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 9:46 pm

Ganondox wrote:

I think that second sentence is a good summary.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. I got curious about this question because sometimes I think my coworkers are pissed at me because Im so quiet. I dont like it when people try to get me out of my shell, because I get the feeling that people wouldn't like it out of my shell anyways.

AQ: 33
Borderline aspie here

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 10:14 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I got curious about this question because sometimes I think my coworkers are pissed at me because Im so quiet. I dont like it when people try to get me out of my shell, because I get the feeling that people wouldn't like it out of my shell anyways.

I think those who come out of their shells, those B people, yeah, they are more likely to annoy people, but they are also more likely to be liked.

And me, now speaking from my autistic side (that is, in this context, looking at my experience of these in myself), I'd rather annoy some people but have real true friends than go back to the friendless state I used to be in when I was more quiet and reserved.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2011, 11:02 pm

Honestly, I think I would prefer to be exclusively Type A for two reasons:

1- I have little control over my quirky Type B behavior. I am very childish for a 21 years old man and, after I am done with my craziness, it usually gnaws me during the rest of the day/week.

2- Apparently, I do it only because, for some unknown reason, I have the need to vent sometimes. Even though this outgoing behavior helps me with making a few friends, I never really consider them as such. I do not keep in touch with people outside of the places where I am required to interact with them, no matter how great is my relationship with them.

In fewer words, it means that I like to be alone, but I need to be heard sometimes and, due to my exaggerated way of expressing myself, I always feel bad about it later. This is the main thing that has been driving me crazy for the last few years: I must find a way to stop this behavior.