Female Aspies= Borderline personality disorder??

Page 4 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

23 Dec 2011, 5:33 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Poke, i find it interesting that any time Verdandi posts about her misdiagnosis, you're in there like a dirty shirt trying to cast doubt on her statements. i think it says a great deal about you that you seem to have taken that approach. that level of vindictive manipulation and targeted attention-seeking seems highly unusual for a person diagnosed with AS. it's very curious.


Her "misdiagnosis", huh?

:roll:



hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 22,023
Location: with bucephalus

23 Dec 2011, 5:38 pm

Poke wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Poke, i find it interesting that any time Verdandi posts about her misdiagnosis, you're in there like a dirty shirt trying to cast doubt on her statements. i think it says a great deal about you that you seem to have taken that approach. that level of vindictive manipulation and targeted attention-seeking seems highly unusual for a person diagnosed with AS. it's very curious.


Her "misdiagnosis", huh?

:roll:

see, this is what i am talking about. very strange behaviour indeed for a "diagnosed aspie". i haven't met too many aspies who fixate on trying to cast doubt on a specific person in a manipulative way like that. it is noticeable to the point it stands out in threads. when you were diagnosed, did you bring up this peculiar tendency of yours?


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
viewtopic.php?t=391105


KakashiYay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Nov 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 55
Location: Indiana

23 Dec 2011, 6:02 pm

I'm a lady.

I was dx'd with ADD as a teen, bipolar II at 20 (even though I clearly didn't meet the criteria- my speech does get "pressured" when I'm anxious or excited,) then cyclothymia a few years later, then anxiety, then AS at 30. I now *also* have 2 more dxs from a psychologist I just saw- I didn't bring my AS paperwork and she "needed" to give me a dx for insurance, so now I have obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and social anxiety.

I have a hard time understanding how AS could be misdx'd as borderline. The weak identity stuff (that I also have)- I suspect in AS it's not done deliberately- it's more a reaction to always feeling left out, so your mind overcompensates by over-identifying with whatever group you're in, whereas in borderlines it's more overt and meant to manipulate.


_________________
My goofy little blog about being an aspie mom to 2 girls- one of whom is not quite NT: http://toregardaraisin.blogspot.com/


Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Dec 2011, 12:50 am

KakashiYay wrote:
I have a hard time understanding how AS could be misdx'd as borderline. The weak identity stuff (that I also have)- I suspect in AS it's not done deliberately- it's more a reaction to always feeling left out, so your mind overcompensates by over-identifying with whatever group you're in, whereas in borderlines it's more overt and meant to manipulate.


This is how a lot of people interpret BPD, but what I've read is that it's not intentional, thus not "meant to manipulate." Rather, a BPD diagnosis often means your actions are interpreted as manipulative, even if they'd be seen as reasonable when someone who is not diagnosed with BPD did the same thing.

This is a PDF I referred to earlier that discusses the mischaracterization of BPD behavior as manipulative, sometimes to the point of denying proper therapy or medical care:

http://www.psybc.com/pdfs/library/What_ ... Anyway.pdf



Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

24 Dec 2011, 7:35 am

hyperlexian wrote:
very strange behaviour indeed for a "diagnosed aspie".


Um, no it isn't.

Oh wait--you're probably one of the perceived 'badness' = NOT ASPGERER'S!! ! folks. :lol:

Quote:
i haven't met too many aspies who fixate on trying to cast doubt on a specific person in a manipulative way like that.


Not so much a specific person as a specific concept. When a person is a flag-waver for that concept...

Quote:
when you were diagnosed, did you bring up this peculiar tendency of yours?


My diagnosis was preceded by a massive self-disclosure in which I offered up every aspect of my personality, both good and bad, that I could possibly describe. A few people who have been very close to me for a very long time did the same.



Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

Poke wrote:
Not so much a specific person as a specific concept. When a person is a flag-waver for that concept...


There are many posters in this thread and others of a similar nature who have said that they were misdiagnosed with BPD and later diagnosed with a PDD whom you have not chosen to follow around this forum to attempt to bully.

(That also makes me wonder, is everyone who was misdiagnosed with BPD misdiagnosed by a clinician who must have been "insane or incompetent?" or is that particular aspect limited to my specific misdiagnosis?)

The fact that you have chosen to fixate on my particular diagnostic history and comment on it strikes me as rather creepy, especially the way you have in the past offered up half-baked theories as to what must really go on in my head and in my life away from this forum when you do not actually know me, or know anything about me beyond what you've read on this forum.

Also - to look at one of your favorite topics - I think that it is particularly telling that descriptions of meltdowns I've read from autistics that have been written on this forum, on blogs, in books, in articles, and pretty much everywhere have been fairly consistent. You are the only person I have seen who proposes this alternative meaning for "meltdown" that seems to clash with a lot of other people's stated experiences, plus your general attitude that everyone has an ulterior agenda to make autism look better by presenting "sterile descriptions" of behaviors you have in the past described as "repugnant."

I find it impossible to believe that your version is correct, since it is at odds with what so many people describe. This leaves a few other possibilities:

* You have no idea what meltdowns actually are, and have never experienced them. You either have some other version of "meltdown" that you have experienced that is more akin to your descriptions of what they supposedly really are, or you have some other reason for promoting a false description of what meltdowns supposedly are on this forum.
* You know what meltdowns actually are and have some particular reason for promoting a false description of what meltdowns supposedly really are on this forum.

I bring this specifically up as you did it in the past few days. I could probably dig up other examples.

The fact that you frequently snipe at people when they describe elements of being autistic as being "wrong" makes me wonder if you really are autistic, or if you're here for some other reason. If it's for some other reason, I can think of many forums that are much more accepting of the kind of manipulative and bullying behavior such as you have exhibited on this forum, never mind the constant projection of repugnant behaviors and traits that are not actually inherent or particularly common to autism to every autistic person, but I would be unsurprised to learn that many of them are actually applicable to you.

Poke wrote:
My diagnosis was preceded by a massive self-disclosure in which I offered up every aspect of my personality, both good and bad, that I could possibly describe. A few people who have been very close to me for a very long time did the same.


But was that diagnosis actually AS? I'm not really sure of that. If I had to guess, I'd lean toward NPD. But really, I don't know. I don't know you. At this stage I don't want to know you. I'd simply prefer you ignore me, because I am not here to interact with people who engage in such repugnant behaviors as you have displayed every time I have interacted with you. I would in fact caution other posters on this forum to be wary of responding to or interacting with you because of the way you have responded to me.

Now, could you please leave this thread to people who know what they're talking about and don't have an agenda to flog?



Last edited by Verdandi on 24 Dec 2011, 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eternity29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 145
Location: Iowa

24 Dec 2011, 8:45 am

I'm a 24-year old and I was also initially diagnosed with Borderline Personality disorder when I was 17. Even then, the doctor told my parents it didn't quite "fit" me, but it was the closest he could think of. I did not have the intense personal relationships that were supposed to come with BPD, I didn't have friends at all and preferred to be alone.

I continued treatment with this particular doctor plus a therapist for two more years, and as time went on, both were stumped by me. In the doctor's words, he said that I was "sprinkled" with several different conditions but that I did not fit the requirements for any of them.

At 19, I continued with that therapist, but switched to another (female) doctor in the same office that I was more comfortable with. I stayed with both of them until the age of 22, when I lost my insurance.

I came back at the beginning of this year when I got insurance and got diagnosed with AS by the doctor. She had me take an assessment, and later told me that she had consulted with the other doctor about me before I came and they both thought it could possibly be AS.

When she told me that, I was initially a little surprised, but as I researched AS, I found more and more that fit me. I'm still seeing this doctor for medication, and she and I are both happy that we finally figured me out. She said that she'd talked about me a lot with the therapist and they were both stumped by me for years. :P



Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

24 Dec 2011, 10:34 am

Verdandi wrote:
There are many posters in this thread and others of a similar nature who have said that they were misdiagnosed with BPD and later diagnosed with a PDD whom you have not chosen to follow around this forum to attempt to bully.


But few of them are really proponents of the misunderstanding I object to. There's a difference between those who push the BS and those who merely buy into it.

Quote:
(That also makes me wonder, is everyone who was misdiagnosed with BPD misdiagnosed by a clinician who must have been "insane or incompetent?" or is that particular aspect limited to my specific misdiagnosis?)


I don't believe that the clinician who diagnosed you with BPD was insane or incompetent. Not sure what you're getting at here.

Quote:
The fact that you have chosen to fixate on my particular diagnostic history and comment on it strikes me as rather creepy, especially the way you have in the past offered up half-baked theories as to what must really go on in my head and in my life away from this forum when you do not actually know me, or know anything about me beyond what you've read on this forum.


Absolutely correct. I am going solely by what I've read on this forum--namely, the great many words you've devoted to describing and commenting on your diagnostic history.

Quote:
Also - to look at one of your favorite topics - I think that it is particularly telling that descriptions of meltdowns I've read from autistics that have been written on this forum, on blogs, in books, in articles, and pretty much everywhere have been fairly consistent. You are the only person I have seen who proposes this alternative meaning for "meltdown" that seems to clash with a lot of other people's stated experiences, plus your general attitude that everyone has an ulterior agenda to make autism look better by presenting "sterile descriptions" of behaviors you have in the past described as "repugnant."

I find it impossible to believe that your version is correct, since it is at odds with what so many people describe.


"Meltdown" is a broad term that covers a wide variety of events/behaviors. I simply acknowledge this, while you (as always) deal strictly in these absolute distinctions which simply do not exist in the real world.

Quote:
...never mind the constant projection of repugnant behaviors and traits that are not actually inherent or particularly common to autism to every autistic person


Not only have I not ascribed every "repugnant" autistic behavior to EVERY autistic individual, I have done quite the opposite--I have bent over backwards to try to get people on this forum to understand how people like you, who wish to interpret their behaviors in light of a less damning diagnosis, play the "severity game" which leads to so much ignorance and misunderstanding in regard to what is and isn't autism--in other words, I have tried to depict the diversity of the concept of autism--YOU, on the other hand, have tried to deny it.

For the record, I've only ever been diagnosed with three neuropsychological conditions: ADD, OCD, and Asperger's. Believe it or not, it makes no difference to me. But I also admit that I am extremely narcissistic. No argument there.

I contribute what I do to this forum, on this topic, because I have a painful need for truth. I have a burning desire to dispel misleading BS on topics that interest me.

Maybe this issue needs a thread of its own. Perhaps I'll give it one. :wink:

By the way, you can always refer back to my previous thread on the relationship between Asperger's and personality disorders: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156230.html

What you'll find there is a nuanced position that accurately reflects reality. Not this black-and-white, BPD-style crap you like to serve up.



hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 22,023
Location: with bucephalus

24 Dec 2011, 12:19 pm

there you go again, Poke. it is not common for aspies to engage in that level of attempted manipulation, so it stands out on the board. it's quite curious and does make me wonder at your motives. i contemplate what makes you want to bully other members by casting aspersions on their statements, and attributing their arguments to an underlying disorder that they do not possess.

i think that next time you are visiting your clinician, you may want print off the pages of this discussion and bring it into your session, as it really could help them to see a whole other aspect of your personality that they are probably not aware of.


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
viewtopic.php?t=391105


Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

24 Dec 2011, 12:31 pm

Blah blah blah...the inconvenient truth here is that my ideas are well thought out and generally reflective of reality.



hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 22,023
Location: with bucephalus

24 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm

Poke wrote:
Blah blah blah...the inconvenient truth here is that my ideas are well thought out and generally reflective of reality.

.... mission accomplished.

i was just turning the tables and using your own bullying techniques on you. it took you 2 posts to degenerate into mockery. somehow, Verdandi and the others manage to stay civil to you, but it looks like when you are on the hotseat you are not able to maintain the same.

i apologise to the OP for derailing the thread, but this needed to be said. thank you for your understanding.


_________________
on a break, so if you need assistance please contact another moderator from this list:
viewtopic.php?t=391105


Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

24 Dec 2011, 1:18 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Poke wrote:
Blah blah blah...the inconvenient truth here is that my ideas are well thought out and generally reflective of reality.

.... mission accomplished.

i was just turning the tables and using your own bullying techniques on you. it took you 2 posts to degenerate into mockery. somehow, Verdandi and the others manage to stay civil to you, but it looks like when you are on the hotseat you are not able to maintain the same.


:lol:

If you were trying to bully me, isn't passing it off as "blah blah blah" a rather healthy response? Is it really uncivil? The only difference between Verdandi's response to me and my response to you is that she wasted many more words on hers. "Mission accomplished"--pretty funny. Perhaps you should've held out for a response that was actually uncivil, or just kept your brilliant "mission" a secret. :wink:

Anyway, you're missing the point. My goal is not to coddle, or console, or pander. My goal is truth.



Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,275
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

Poke wrote:
Anyway, you're missing the point. My goal is not to coddle, or console, or pander. My goal is truth.


If that's true, you're welcome to start at any time.



Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

24 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

I can only show the horse where the water is. I can't make it drink. :wink:

I mean, I'm not going to stop showing, but...



Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2011
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,329
Location: The graveyard of discarded toy soldiers.

24 Dec 2011, 1:59 pm

Who the hell is this prick? Cause he talks like a politican

Pardon, anyway.. Pretty simple way to check for AS over BPD: the "backround" symptoms that are so common in AS but get ignored like sensory issues or toe walking, do you got em? cause people with BPD wont got em


_________________
'not only has he hacked his intellect away from his feelings, but he has smashed his feelings and his capacity for judgment into smithereens'.


Poke
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 605

24 Dec 2011, 2:40 pm

Phonic wrote:
Who the hell is this prick? Cause he talks like a politican


And yet, it moves.