Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm

I'm not meaning in the social way. Are they calm, silent, modest, shy or do they have a lot of tantrums, are impatient, can't control their emotions and talk alot about their interests? Do they have energy or do they behave like ill persons? I'm curious because a friend of mine thinks that people with asperger should be like that actor from Rainman :lol:

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

Is a piece of string long?

I know I'm cool, in all ways, except temperature, unless it's cold...
I haven't seen Rain Man, but from what people have told me, it's misleading at times

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:35 pm

From which i remember, that character from Rainman was autism.
My question was, how do people with asperger behave apparently? Are there any visible signs after which you can identify them?

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:46 pm

Lack of eye contact. Appear to be rude. High anxiety. They can appear to be lazy sometimes, however that's not usually the case.

You can't physically tell if someone is an aspie just by watching them walk down the street dude.

whitemissacacia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2011, 4:48 pm

I'm a little shy and a little overly sweet at some points. Peers tend to say "¡Eres tan dulce que empalagas!" which means something like, you're so sweet you end up making us sick! But I can be warm, friendly and kind.
Being an aspie doesn't make you lifeless or boring. I can be weird at times, but some people find my words witty and funny. They know I'm different, but hey! Difference is the spice of life.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:51 pm

WhiteWidow wrote:
You can't physically tell if someone is an aspie just by watching them walk down the street dude.

I was thinking the same. But some people judge only after appearances. :duh:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:57 pm

Quote:

That's true, and I'm glad there's someone else on this site who knows better that Aspies don't have any unique physical features that seperates them from NTs. If people say ''Aspies have wide eyes'', I don't believe them. Maybe some Aspies do, but then some NTs do too. So by looking at someone with wide eyes, you don't immediately think, ''oh, he/she has AS.'' There's a boy who gets on my bus who I sometimes talk to, and he's an Aspie, but you wouldn't know he has AS unless he told you. He looks perfectly normal.

As for the ''are Aspies cool'' thing, I say it depends on the person. I was not cool when I was aged between 12 and 15 because I used to do embarrassing things in the street, like stamp my feet angrily when there was a baby screaming, and say inappropriate things out loud, and constantly ring my fingers as though I was really nervous, and whinge loudly in shops when my mum was looking for clothes, and huff and puff all the time and just look very uncool. Now as I've gotten older I have learnt to know better what is cool and what isn't, so when there's a baby screaming I try to stay calm and keep cool.

But it's not only Aspies who can be uncool, and it's not like Aspies can't be uncool because we can blend in and most high-functioning Aspies who have learnt to have self-control and self-awareness can learn this (although I didn't until I was aged around 16).

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm

I'm lifeless and boring around my family because they irritate me to no end most of the time. I hate answering their dumb questions and I have meltdowns occasionally around them

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:01 pm

Everyone is different. Everyone has their own unique personality. Aspie or NT, some people are calm, modest, shy, and others are loud, hot-tempered, and "out there", and everything in between introvert and extrovert.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

Sparx wrote:
Everyone is different. Everyone has their own unique personality. Aspie or NT, some people are calm, modest, shy, and others are loud, hot-tempered, and "out there", and everything in between introvert and extrovert.

At least somebody else besides me knows better that NTs have their own unique personality too and aren't all born exactly the same and act like emotionless robots.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

It depends on your definition of "cool" and the aspie.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 6:53 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
From which i remember, that character from Rainman was autism.
My question was, how do people with asperger behave apparently? Are there any visible signs after which you can identify them?

No, the character from Rainman was a Hollywood representation of a character the audience was to presume had Autism. It was Hollywood, pure and simple, and as fake and inaccurate as everything Hollywood does. I saw an interview with Dustin Hoffman in which he described totally making up his mannerisms, based on no research at all, or any experience with real Autistics. Totally made up. Totally faked.

Are there any visible signs of AS? Sometimes. Sometimes not. Frequently not anything obvious the average person would ever be able to see. One of the most frequent things we hear is, "You don't look Autistic." It's best not to form any particular "picture" of what Asperger Syndrome "looks like."

If you do, you are far more likely not to recognize it when it's there.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 7:02 pm

Someone being "cool" and someone being aspie or NT are completely unrelated.
being an aspie does not automatically increase or decrease the chances of somebody considering them cool.

People are people, some are cool, some are jerks.

Diagnosed in 2005

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 7:48 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Someone being "cool" and someone being aspie or NT are completely unrelated.
being an aspie does not automatically increase or decrease the chances of somebody considering them cool.

People are people, some are cool, some are jerks.

Did you read the OP's post? This isn't the kind of "cool" she was talking about.

Quote:
I'm not meaning in the social way. Are they calm, silent, modest, shy or do they have a lot of tantrums, are impatient, can't control their emotions and talk alot about their interests?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 8:05 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
I'm not meaning in the social way. Are they calm, silent, modest, shy or do they have a lot of tantrums, are impatient, can't control their emotions and talk alot about their interests? Do they have energy or do they behave like ill persons? I'm curious because a friend of mine thinks that people with asperger should be like that actor from Rainman :lol:

You are asking either/or questions. This makes about as much sense as it would if you had asked the same questions about people with glasses. Aspies are both and neither. Some are. Some aren't. Since when does your friend get to define what autistics "should" be? Hopefully she has the sense to Google.

Rainman :roll:

10 yo dd on the spectrum

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 4:53 am

I know it's annoying. I suspect to have asperger but i'm not sure of it and this friend (is a he) told me he has too (maybe because he thinks is 'cool') & i don't have it because i'm talkative. That is a stupid reason in my opinion. He thinks if Einstein had Asperger is a cool condition for smart people and people with this condition should behave in an 'autistic' way, like those fictional characters. How stupid is that? I've tried to explain to him being shy and being an aspie is completly different, also from autism. And it is not something to be proud of, neither to be ashamed of.

You know, i wonder if from tomorrow it would appear at the news: People with Asperger have more neurons than normal people and are highly intelligent. How many people would consider they have it too, just for the reason they believe are highly intelligent? I believe lots of arrogant douchebags would.