Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 8:35 am

I know people on the spectrum look younger than there age..... when i was 16 i used too look more grown up and more like a man and it seems know at 22 i have gotten younger and look more childish. Put it this way i have gone from being called "mature", "ruggard" and "a man" too having my cheeks pinched and people going "awww".

Kind of annoying how i have gone backwards too looking like a child and not like a grown up.

have any of you noticed how you have gotten younger looking as a possible result of being on the spectrum? although recently i have started using moisturiser for my face and drink more water so maybe that is making my face/skin look more softer?

PS i can grow a full beard in 1 week and have laods of chest LMAO

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 9:34 am

I noticed this with myself too. I'm 23 right now and I still look 15-16. I'm super skinny though. With a 23inch waist I only fit into a children's 10-12 and adults XS. I can actually get away with having certain AS traits that cause me to seem more immature. Most people don't know that I'm adult.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

angel ryan does AS cause you too look younger as you get older?

too be honest i have stopped working out at hte gym so i am quite skinny now.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:14 am

People always tell me I look younger than my actual age. I guess that's a good thing now.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:42 am

I do look younger compared to other people as I get older simply because others define their gender-related differences. Also I wear simple clothes and have a lame posture, I am quite skinny. And when I was younger I used to behave more reserved compared to others and didn't follow fashion so I did perhaps look older..

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm

When people first meet me, one of the first questions they ask me is what grade/year of school I'm in. They seem genuinely surprised when I tell them my real age. However, I have had some people who have told me that I look my age, but they are in the minority.

I love being told that I look younger than I am, because I feel younger inside. So when other people assume I'm younger, then I feel less pressure to act my age.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2011, 2:00 pm

I don't think I've got younger looking, but I do look young for my age. Last year I was asked if I was looking forward to going back to school at the end of summer. I was 30 at the time :oops:

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:21 pm

From age 16 to 17 I looked like I suddenly became a lot younger, it was weird. At 16 I looked like I was in my 20's at least, then a year later I looked younger than 17.

There are pictures of me when I was around 7-9 years old, I looked many years older. There was one in particular, a school photo from 3rd grade, where I looked almost like an adult.

Now I'm 33 and people still mistake me for a college student.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:26 pm

When I was presenting as female, I looked younger than I really am. Then, when I first started transitioning to male, I looked quite young, before I started passing as male, I looked like a 13 year old boy. Being on hormones for 8 months helped age me a little bit, as well as changing how I styled my hair. Now, I'm 28 and I've been told I look about 18-20. I get carded when buying alcohol about 50% of the time.

So I looked young before I transitioned, but the largest part of why I look young for my age isn't related to AS as much as it's related to the effects of being in early gender transition.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:55 pm

I think I look my age. Then again, I don't know what others think.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2011, 9:30 pm

Yes, people have often been surprised by my age because I look younger. I don't think it's getting worse, though. The grey hair makes sure of that.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 9:12 pm

Jamesy wrote:
angel ryan does AS cause you too look younger as you get older?

too be honest i have stopped working out at hte gym so i am quite skinny now.

I don't think it's just AS. I know some NTs who look younger too. My dad looks 35 and he's like 45. My mom looks 50 and she's 44. I think it has more to do with dominating genetics. It's possible that the same way an autism gene is dominate in a family that a gene that slows aging is also more dominate. Brown eyes are dominate in my fathers family only one of my siblings has blue eyes like my mother.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 11:08 pm

I'm 37 and I look like I'm 17. I was ID'd when I went to buy some Scratch n Wins at the 7-Eleven down the street from where I live. That store doesn't sell tickets to people under the age of 19.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 11:27 pm

I know I act and feel younger than I am, I've got friends 10yrs younger that have more gray than myself. IDK ?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 10:42 am

I looked younger than I was until somewhere around 35, but never looked younger one year than in any previous years. Most people seem to think I'm in the early forties now. I'm 51.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Dec 2011, 11:48 am

I recall when I was 27, a guy I knew told me he thought I was 21 or 22. I showed someone a picture of me when I was 32, and he said it looked like I was mid 20s. When I was 39, I had to deal with animal control because of neighbor issues, and when I told her I was 39, she said she thought I was 17 or 18.

I suspect there's a combination of behavior and appearance at work that gets these reactions.