has autism/person with autism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I am neutral on the topic/no preference 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
other 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2019, 11:13 am

I'm genuinely curious about this, because I know a lot of people don't like the term "person with autism" because it detaches the autism from the individual, and some don't like "autistic person" because they feel that you're trying to define them by their autism. My question, what is your perspective on this topic?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 11:22 am

I don't think of "autism" as being a "disease"---so I don't believe that I "have" autism. I am "autistic," though.

It seems to me that "having" something implies that you "caught" it, somehow.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2019, 11:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't think of "autism" as being a "disease"---so I don't believe that I "have" autism. I am "autistic," though.

It seems to me that "having" something implies that you "caught" it, somehow.

Yes, that's how I think of it as well. When you say "person with autism" to me it sounds like some sort of accessory. Or injury. You can have the flu, you can have a broken leg, you can have a certain hair color, but autism is a neurotype. Therefore you ARE autistic.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2019, 11:25 am

To me, it's simply how my brain works, not something I caught like the flu. I don't "have autism." I just am autistic. It's like being introverted. I don't "have introversion" I just am introverted.

That's just my thought on it. It's not some affliction I've acquired like high blood pressure or something. Maybe it depends on how the person views their diagnosis. Someone who truly dislikes autism in their life, may feel afflicted and say they have autism. Others who are more accepting of it in their life may say they are autistic.

Although, it really can go either way. Just like with blood pressure, both "I am hypertensive" and "I have hypertension" are technically correct.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 11:47 am

Are people so ridiculous that they worry about peanuts like this when people are starving and dying with no healthcare, there's perpetual war and the environment is being raped by multinationals? No wonder those companies are so eager to keep us obsessing over linguistic insensitivity; while we're doing so, they take away our health and savings and destroy our planet.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 12:51 pm

I prefer autistic .

fez
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2019, 12:53 pm

Autistic. I have a cold, a toothache, blonde hair. I am autistic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 12:56 pm

As long as you don't call me an "autist"! :eew:

SweetOnSylvia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2019, 1:28 pm

My autism is just as much a part of me as my love for writing or my love for Sylvia or my being a woman... I consider myself an autistic woman or an autistic writer because it is part of my social identity and I love my autism and I know that I would not be me without it. :).

In a neurotypical world, we must have pride in our minds, in how we see the world, and also how we can change it. :))))...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 5:39 pm

I think of myself as “autistic”but if somebody prefers being called “person with autism” it is fine with me. What is not fine with me is ninnies who go around correcting people for using a term they don’t like.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 6:17 am

I prefer the term "autistic" because the term "person with autism" makes it sound like autism is something I could get rid off. And like we know, it's not.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I think of myself as “autistic”but if somebody prefers being called “person with autism” it is fine with me. What is not fine with me is ninnies who go around correcting people for using a term they don’t like.

This. I don't flip (anymore) about being called "a person with autism" either, even though it's not my preference.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:44 pm

I'm autistic. As much as I'm also a human female.

But I have chronic rhinitis/sinusitis, sleep disturbance, and hormonal imbalances that everyone else could be dealing with.
But people blamed it's cognitive effects to my blundered functioning towards autism, and the problems itself passed off as minor problems that they don't have to take it seriously. :|

Yet I also have dark brown hair and eyes. :lol: No one blames those things over something else other than being born and brought up from the same places.

I could care less if people prefers a person with or has autism.
Because people truly know nor don't have think about those things -- and whatever they thought and felt are none of my business. :roll:

As much as they don't have to consider what I thought or felt either, no one should tell me what my choices are otherwise.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 10:19 pm

I don't really believe autism is a disease. Therefore, it bothers me when my mom says that I have autism. I would much prefer being called autistic.

Unfortunately, every time I tell my mom about this preference, she doesn't actually listen to me and continues using person-first language.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm

I just call myself autistic because it's a part of me. Autism isn't a disease that I carry. I'm not with autism, I'm proudly autistic.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 10:57 pm

Either one.