Are self diagnosed people welcome
yes 90%  90%  [ 82 ]
no 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 91

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:42 pm

Well for most of the time I've been on this website I was under the impression officially diagnosed, self diagnosed, people who for whatever reason feel they can relate to the autism spectrum or just want to learn about it, ect, were all welcome here. But lately I am getting the feeling specifically self diagnosed people are somehow unwelcome.

Apparently we are a bunch of fakes without real difficulties, we're only making things harder for people with an actual diagnoses, which I really don't get I mean hey if they have it official they have access to more resources and services....while I cannot even get on medicaid. So lets settle this once and for all.

are self diagnosed people welcome at wrongplanet or would it be best if they avoided it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:53 pm

With the AS diagnosis being phased out next year, it is only fair that the undiagnosed can be on here.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm

I think the resentment is against people that likely don't have AS but think they do (or want to believe they do) because they have a few problems in their social lives and want something to blame for it. The problem is differentiating between these kind of people and those that have legitimate reasons for self-diagnosing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm

I thought this site was for anybody who has at least something to do with the Autism spectrum. You don't have to be diagnosed. There's no law. I'm a diagnosed Aspie myself, but I don't hold anything against those who are self-diagnosed. Never thought about it really.

Unlike NTs, I like a bit of diversity.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

This place seems to go in cycles, every few months someone will stir up some resentment of the self-diagnosed, like they're trying to steal the Aspie thunder or something. Usually it will last a thread or two, there will be much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, perhaps a warning or two will be issued, and then things will be quiet again for a few months.

The vast, vast majority of the site is completely welcoming of self DXd people, there's just a few people with the simmering resentment that periodically comes to the surface at the behest of some new poster. I wouldn't worry about too much, it will pass like all the other times.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
This place seems to go in cycles, every few months someone will stir up some resentment of the self-diagnosed, like they're trying to steal the Aspie thunder or something. Usually it will last a thread or two, there will be much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, perhaps a warning or two will be issued, and then things will be quiet again for a few months.

The vast, vast majority of the site is completely welcoming of self DXd people, there's just a few people with the simmering resentment that periodically comes to the surface at the behest of some new poster. I wouldn't worry about too much, it will pass like all the other times.

This.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well for most of the time I've been on this website I was under the impression officially diagnosed, self diagnosed, people who for whatever reason feel they can relate to the autism spectrum or just want to learn about it, ect, were all welcome here. But lately I am getting the feeling specifically self diagnosed people are somehow unwelcome.

Apparently we are a bunch of fakes without real difficulties, we're only making things harder for people with an actual diagnoses, which I really don't get I mean hey if they have it official they have access to more resources and services....while I cannot even get on medicaid. So lets settle this once and for all.

are self diagnosed people welcome at wrongplanet or would it be best if they avoided it.

Sweetleaf, I have read your remarks for as long as I've been posting here, and have profited from them. Is there somebody in particular who is giving you a hard time?

I had a psychiatrist tell me I have AS, but never went through the ordeal of a formal diagnosis; it's just not possible where I live. So, I have kind of a semi-diagnosis. I say if you're not welcome here, I consider myself not welcome either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

I welcome everybody, whether they're diagnosed or self-diagnosed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:22 pm

I enjoy having you around. :)

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

I'd say anybody who's not a jerkwad is welcome here, but...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

Of course they are welcome here. This place is for people who feel different than everyone. Even NTs are allowed here too so why not for the un diagnosed?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Sweetleaf, I have read your remarks for as long as I've been posting here, and have profited from them. Is there somebody in particular who is giving you a hard time?

I had a psychiatrist tell me I have AS, but never went through the ordeal of a formal diagnosis; it's just not possible where I live. So, I have kind of a semi-diagnosis. I say if you're not welcome here, I consider myself not welcome either.

No one specific it just seemed to be the attitude being expressed by some people, so I was trying to determine if it was just a few posters or the majority who felt that way. I did have a therapist agree with me about my self diagnoses but still there is the chance it could be something else entirely that explains things same would be true if I had an official diagnoses because mental health professionals can be wrong to.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2012, 1:54 pm

"No one specific it just seemed to be the attitude being expressed by some people, so I was trying to determine if it was just a few posters or the majority who felt that way. I did have a therapist agree with me about my self diagnoses but still there is the chance it could be something else entirely that explains things same would be true if I had an official diagnoses because mental health professionals can be wrong to."

Well, the way I look at things is that if something walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims and eats like a duck, it's a pretty safe bet that you're dealing with a duck. All too many people consider it a sign of sophistication not to be accept the obvious. I've never understood this absurd affectation.

You are right about mental health professionals being wrong. Back in the late eighties and early nineties, when I just couldn't take my life the way it was, I saw any number of psychiatrists and psychologists. I might as well have burned my money. The one psychiatrist who did diagnose me in an off-hand way only wanted to throw pills at me.

Hang in there. I'm 49, and things didn't start to fall together for me until about ten years ago. Persistence pays.

mad_monkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

No one is welcome here, unless you think you are, in which case you are. But still you are welcome here.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

01 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

I try my best to welcome everyone, diagnosed or not. This is the internet, after all.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Anybody's welcome here. I don't see why self-diagnosed Aspies can't be welcome here. It'd be like saying men aren't welcome in women's clothes shops. Men can go in women's clothes shops if they like, maybe to work there, or look for something for his daughter or wife or sister or whatever, all sorts of reasons. So it's the same with self-diagnosed Aspies or whatever being welcome here - NTs, PPD-NOS people, and self-diagnosed Aspies are here for all sorts of reasons.

Doesn't bother me who's here really. I'm not the boss of people.