Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Onias
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

Hi everybody,

This topic has probably been done to death on these forums but I think I have Asperger's that has gone undiagnosed because my parents are deeply suspicious of psychology professionals. My self-diagnosis has been based on the following:

- Throughout primary school and secondary school, I had difficulty with social interaction. I think I adjusted well in college by stepping outside my comfort zone and learning some social skills by trial and error.
- In primary school I had "odd" interests like physics, chess, computers and the political system of the United States. I distinctly remember going to the front of the class and reading out from an essay about it to my classmates who were bored to tears.
- I developed an odd habit where I would put my hand up against a wall and tape out rhythms with my fingers. This went on since I was seven or so and I still occasionally do it.
- I'm doing a degree in Applied Maths and Physics, which has a high frequency of Asperger's people.
- People who don't know me well describe me as cold.
- Small adjustments in routine upset me greatly. I am kind of disorganized and sometimes my family and friends will helpfully organise things for me a little and I will get upset in spite of myself.
- I misread people's emotions with alarming frequency.

In spite of all this, I actually do enjoy socializing with friends now that I am in college and I am quite happy. As I said, I had to step outside my comfort zone but it was worth it in the end. Do you guys think I have Asperger's? Thanks in advance :)

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:38 pm

Welcome. :)

Possibly, yes. Check out this and this--that's how I self-diagnosed.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Onias
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm

In the first test I got 29. In the second test I got 120/200. I'm not altogether happy with the first test, it seems to be limited in scope. Of course there is no substitution for a professional diagnosis. I would go for one except I think I am actually quite happy :). In any case, I feel more confident in my self diagnosis and I hope to contribute here in the future, thanks for reading.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

Onias wrote:
In the first test I got 29. In the second test I got 120/200. I'm not altogether happy with the first test, it seems to be limited in scope. Of course there is no substitution for a professional diagnosis. I would go for one except I think I am actually quite happy :). In any case, I feel more confident in my self diagnosis and I hope to contribute here in the future, thanks for reading.

End of discussion.

LetoAtreides82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 3:43 am

Well yea a professional diagnosis would be ideal but sometimes it's not really necessary and you may even save a lot of money. That second quiz is good and you got almost the same score as I did (114). I suggest you watch some movies that feature main characters that have asperger's, such as Adam (Hugh Dancy, Rose Byrne), and Mozart And The Whale (Josh Hartnett, Radha Mitchell). In Adam it's about an aspie and neurotypical relationship, and Mozart And The Whale is about an aspie couple who happen to be polar opposites, he's introverted and she's extroverted.

I would strongly suggest you meet with other people who identify as being in the autism spectrum and see how their life experiences compare to yours. Try searching for asperger's support groups near your area.

I've gone to several asperger's support group meetings and the experiences they shared with me have made me even more convinced that my self-diagnosis was correct. I'm glad I didn't have to pay a grand to figure that out.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

Why is this thread called "The perils if self-diagnosis"? I can't see which perils you're referring to. Also, if you know this topic has been done to death on this forum you'll also appreciate it's been a rather sensitive one of late.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 7:40 am

Quote:
Of course there is no substitution for a professional diagnosis.

It's not required of you that you say that, especially not as pre-emptive appeasement. So far as I know there's no hard evidence as to whether a professional diagnosis is usually more accurate (common-sense would suggest "yes", though you frequently hear interesting stories about the diligence and competence of some professionals) and as to whether they're more useful, I don't think the question can even be properly formulated (first define usefulness.) That said, while I don't put much stock in the online tests, the AQ test is probably the most reputable and 29 is a low score so I'd caution you there.

The year is still young.

JurgenW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

I want to read about those perils!

Self-diagnosed people are probably (I guess) often on the high-functional side of the autistic spectrum, and might sometimes be too functional to be diagnosed, thereby falling in the category "NT:s with autistic traits" which someone here reckoned to be several times more numerous than the diagnosable autistic group.

Anyway, since there (as far as I have read) is no treatment for autistic personality traits, what is the peril?

Onias
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

Quote:

Self-diagnosed people are probably (I guess) often on the high-functional side of the autistic spectrum, and might sometimes be too functional to be diagnosed, thereby falling in the category "NT:s with autistic traits" which someone here reckoned to be several times more numerous than the diagnosable autistic group.

Anyway, since there (as far as I have read) is no treatment for autistic personality traits, what is the peril?

The peril is I might be wrong. I'm terrified of that :)

Quote:
Why is this thread called "The perils if self-diagnosis"? I can't see which perils you're referring to. Also, if you know this topic has been done to death on this forum you'll also appreciate it's been a rather sensitive one of late.

I didn't mean to offend anyone here, I just want to be totally accurate about my self-diagnosis and honest with the people around me. I'm sorry if I did.

JurgenW

08 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

Oh, I see. You only meant your personal fear of being mistaken, rather than (as I interpreted it) any general dangers when a person thinks that autism gives some explanation and background to his personal shortcomings and idiosyncracies. :wink:

Onias
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

Quote:
Oh, I see. You only meant your personal fear of being mistaken, rather than (as I interpreted it) any general dangers when a person thinks that autism gives some explanation and background to his personal shortcomings and idiosyncracies

Yes, I don't want to tag myself as an Aspie if I am not.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

That's a reasonable personal fear. I know I had it. Was glad to see the back of it. ;)

I hope you find what you need.

Nightowl2548
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

I am sure Asperger's is controversial amongst the health professionals, or they simply don't know about it. But it explains me and several other people I've known over the years. Whatever you call it, there is a psychological condition out there that makes people nerdy, socially awkward, anxious, avoid eye contact, have one sided conversations about things like the Boeing 777 vs. Airbus A330, talk too loud, spend hours plucking my hairs out for the physical rush, seem cold emotionally unless they are wallowing in their own self pity, etc. I can spot others like me the way gays can tell each other, about one male in 50-100. So if "Asperger's" is someone sitting in a chair, rocking their head all days long, and smearing their feces on the wall, then there is some other condition waiting to be discovered that I and a fair number of people have.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2012, 9:35 pm

Nightowl2548 wrote:
I am sure Asperger's is controversial amongst the health professionals, or they simply don't know about it. But it explains me and several other people I've known over the years. Whatever you call it, there is a psychological condition out there that makes people nerdy, socially awkward, anxious, avoid eye contact, have one sided conversations about things like the Boeing 777 vs. Airbus A330, talk too loud, spend hours plucking my hairs out for the physical rush, seem cold emotionally unless they are wallowing in their own self pity, etc. I can spot others like me the way gays can tell each other, about one male in 50-100. So if "Asperger's" is someone sitting in a chair, rocking their head all days long, and smearing their feces on the wall, then there is some other condition waiting to be discovered that I and a fair number of people have.

Asperger's is essentially the same condition as autism.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting in a chair rocking. :roll:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

Onias wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't mean to offend anyone here, I just want to be totally accurate about my self-diagnosis and honest with the people around me. I'm sorry if I did.

Quote:

You might have it, and likely have 'something' to be here at WP.

I've noticed some ADHD diagnoses come about from the self dx corner. I myself thought I had it because of many similarities. But I'm glad I found the nature of the haunting beast. For your benefit, and if possible, the self dx should be used as a starting point or stepping stone to make it in-stone by a Doctor.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 9:53 pm

Verdandi wrote:
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting in a chair rocking. :roll:

I prefer couches to chairs, then my kitty can be sitting next to me ;)

OP, your fear makes sense, but with that description, it also makes sense to do more research and possibly pursue a diagnosis if you determine it is worth it. Your score on the AQ is low for those of us with an ASD, but sometimes people have that low of scores (and other times people misinterpret questions and get a false score).

Do more research, whether you end up being autistic, BAP, or an odd NT you're welcome here.