Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 7:39 pm

As a child my co-ordination was pretty poor. Sports was a no go area and I was slow to learn to use scissors. I did a degree in fine art, my strong area is ideas but my technique is fairly average, my hands just don't do what my brain instructs, I keep practising but it never significantly improves. Playing on a play station is out for me too!
Does anyone else have problems with dexterity, hand eye co-ordination?

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 7:49 pm

My fine motor skills are actually pretty good... I have a fairly steady hand when trying to do something delicate. One of my favorite things in the world has always been drawing, and I'm pretty good at it, especially small, detailed drawings!

However, my childhood nicknames ("Clumsy Smurf" and "Spacy") were due to the fact that when it comes to doing simple things like walking around and opening doors I'm a hazard to myself and anyone in my immediate environment!
In fact, I can count at least 5 bruises on my body at this given moment, all caused by bumping into / tripping over things. :jester:

I wonder if this is common, or if a lack of finer motor skills is more common... or maybe both?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:00 pm

My handwriting is ALMOST descent, but I have trouble staying in the lines. My worst class at school is gym. Softball: Can't catch the ball, I let go of the bat after I swing, causing it to fly into someone.
Soccer: I fall when I try dribbling the ball, and I miss when I try to kick it.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:04 pm

DrowningMedusa wrote:
My fine motor skills are actually pretty good... I have a fairly steady hand when trying to do something delicate. One of my favorite things in the world has always been drawing, and I'm pretty good at it, especially small, detailed drawings!

However, my childhood nicknames ("Clumsy Smurf" and "Spacy") were due to the fact that when it comes to doing simple things like walking around and opening doors I'm a hazard to myself and anyone in my immediate environment!
In fact, I can count at least 5 bruises on my body at this given moment, all caused by bumping into / tripping over things. :jester:

I wonder if this is common, or if a lack of finer motor skills is more common... or maybe both?

My fine motor skills are really good too but gross motor is a little below average. Just tonight I was looking through my baby book and I noticed the same thing in the Milestones section - as a baby/toddler I was doing fine motor things ahead of schedule but I was quite late on all the gross motor tasks.

JonDevine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2006, 8:14 pm

Alright, here's the thing. I'm the guy who bumps into your things and knocks them over and trips while he's running laps in gym (true story). My typing and writing is fine, but here's something I don't understand. Does anyone elses hand, if you're trying to bend just one finger, do your other fingers bend involuntarily? My fingers do, I can't seem to find out why.

Jon Devine, social correspondant

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:23 pm

Starbuline wrote:
My handwriting is ALMOST descent, but I have trouble staying in the lines. My worst class at school is gym. Softball: Can't catch the ball, I let go of the bat after I swing, causing it to fly into someone.
Soccer: I fall when I try dribbling the ball, and I miss when I try to kick it.

I'm the other way around. For most of that I'm almost normal, but my handwriting has hardly improved since first grade.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:42 pm

I'd rather type then use a writing utensil.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:44 pm

Hmmn, my hand writing is terrible, and I can't draw, but I can dance, and I can play guitar with ease, it seems to me the co-ordination and where its best is related to obsessions and focus.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:53 pm

Starbuline wrote:
I'd rather type then use a writing utensil.

I get to type in school. I have something called an "AlphaSmart". I take it to each class to type my work on. When I'm done, I connect it to a computer, send everything I've typed to Microsoft Word, print it, and bring it back to the teacher who gave me the work. I currently have a five paragraph essay for my history class in file five of the AlphaSmart. All the Autistic kids at my school have one. They also have horrible handwriting. My handwriting is a little better than theirs, but still horrible.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 11:41 pm

I am uncoordinated, clumsy (just last week I spilled my mom's coffee pitcher all over the kitchen), have hands that shake, and terrible handwriting. Lately, I've been thinking that heart surgeon probably wasn't the best career for me. The lawsuits are starting to pile up. :lol:

Nah, I've gotta pay off my student loans.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Oct 2006, 12:07 am

werbert wrote:
I am uncoordinated, clumsy (just last week I spilled my mom's coffee pitcher all over the kitchen), have hands that shake, and terrible handwriting. Lately, I've been thinking that heart surgeon probably wasn't the best career for me. The lawsuits are starting to pile up. :lol:

Nah, I've gotta pay off my student loans.

So why are you working for the bomb squad? Oh its allways the blue wire and wait till
the timer says 3 seconds before you cut it.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 12:12 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
So why are you working for the bomb squad? Oh its allways the blue wire and wait till

I usually go by the background music. If it gets really tense, I know I have the right wire. At least as long as my name is in the opening credits.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 12:23 am

werbert wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

I usually go by the background music. If it gets really tense, I know I have the right wire. At least as long as my name is in the opening credits.

I just let it explode.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 1:27 am

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
I just let it explode.

So do I, as long as I'm far away and you're close up.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 1:43 am

I don't care how close I am. It doesn't hurt me. I can hack into the Matrix to become immortal.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 12:57 pm

Werbert you are so witty, you're kind of two steps ahead I love it!