Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

Whenever I see someone fall, or hit something, or another similar situation, whether it be in real life, or on t.v., I get a strange shocking sensation throughout my body. Does anyone else experience this? Is it an aspie thing?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

Yes, if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly.

When I witness someone taking a major spill or getting physically hurt or injured; I experience a sensation. I think it's adrenaline.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

I'm not sure myself. I get shocks in my skull when I try to relax quite a bit sometimes. Very few sounds cause a 'ZAP' feeling to. I have had a little bit of involuntary movement as well, but that's not very often at all.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

america's funniest videos in the 90's = great family fun...

modern version... is painful for me to watch...

I am starting to wonder if a spectrum empathy is not impaired but simply different. Perhaps someone on the spectrum can simply imagine the nervous interactions in others better than the emotional reactions... so a really adept spectrum person would be able to comprehend emotional reactions through interpreting how they would react to the nervous reactions...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2012, 12:39 am

I think I know what you are talking about, when I watch someone being hit I contract some muscles (or I shiver? I don't know if it's the correct word) and close my eyes hard(then I open them again until the next stroke), It's a shame because I love action movies but I have problems watching the fights because of my reactions, it's like I were the one being hit. Movies like Saw are imposible to watch with this, I feel the pain, or at least the fear, I had to stop watching when they began to cut their feet.

shifftheboss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2012, 1:34 am

Doubutsu wrote:
I think I know what you are talking about, when I watch someone being hit I contract some muscles (or I shiver? I don't know if it's the correct word) and close my eyes hard(then I open them again until the next stroke), It's a shame because I love action movies but I have problems watching the fights because of my reactions, it's like I were the one being hit. Movies like Saw are imposible to watch with this, I feel the pain, or at least the fear, I had to stop watching when they began to cut their feet.
Its normal to react like to movies. That's how you know there good when you feel it emotionally

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:49 am

this is a normal effect, it has something to do with mirroring neurons which are used in a normal learning process and some forms of empathy, since they both teach your muscles how to perform a task, and lets your brain feel the pain of a certain effect.

however, it is common amongst highly sensitive persons (and becouse of that, many on the autism spectrum) to feel this 'shared pain' a lot stronger then a neurotypical would

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 5:33 am

Yes, this happens to me. If I see someone with a wound, I get a sudden contracting sensation in my abdomen, which can last a few seconds. I'm not afraid of the sight of blood, but I react physically to the notion of another's pain or discomfort.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 7:56 am

What I wonder on this one is how the same sort of situation can be funny to so many people (jackass fans, etc)

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

If someone has a fall from very high, like a multistorey building, then yes.