Autism in France: Psychoanalysis, Packing, Other Travesties

Page 7 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

ReneDescartes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2012, 6:43 pm

Hopefully, we went to see a psychiatrist in Kuwait. He was nice man, intelligent and understanding, and studied in London.
In two appointments, it was clear for him that I had AS. I didn't know about it before I had this diagnosis, really.

France is really behind in psychiatry, but things are changing slowly, as I was doing perfectly fine with appointments in Marseille (south-eastern France), including therapies with other young adults with AS, thematic work groups on how to develop a specific skill, frequent and adapted appointments with psychologists. I was living in autonomy at the time, with my parents abroad. It was hard and I wasn't ready yet, and I had more university assignments that I could manage so unfortunately I dropped the course.

I'm perfectly aware this might be one of the only structures in France that work like that. Everywhere else, it's actually pretty much what you've seen and heard on Youtube or in the news. It is bad.

Khandov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2012, 9:37 am

"Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood" No other slogan has ever been anywhere such frothiness as in France.

ReneDescartes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

Khandov wrote:
"Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood" No other slogan has ever been anywhere such frothiness as in France.

Yep. It's so far from reality.
People are far from equal, and our government doesn't aim for that goal.
The written press is not free as it is full of corporate influences. The TV News are full of lies, omissions and useless murder cases that are put on air to scare people.
The last word, brotherhood, is the funniest. Society has never been so selfish and self-centred nowadays. It's very hard to get someone to help you. Everybody tend to mind its own business and act in its own profit. What a shame.

Leona
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2012, 5:35 pm

@ French slogan, it's an utopia, that doesn't mean that France is the worst country in these domains, since no nations can even pretend to be better than another in this. Since you'll never get the real freedom, since there will always be leaders, since they're always be discrimination (just look the news, just look wp if you wan't and you'll see how autistics are treated everywhere), no one will ever be worse or better, because they're all the same. Just think about it, cause from what I see there, this topic is more a "I do what you don't" instead of having a neutral view.

"Her eyes came to sharp focus. In the years since her awakening, she had always regretted forcing the sun to come to her aid. She was Leona, the Radiant Dawn, and she was the sun?s avatar on Runeterra. It was her place to serve the sun."

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:19 pm

I do not agree with any of the methods depicted in this movie about Autism in France BUT, and i say this again, BUT we have to be careful how we depict psycho-analysis. IN FACT, i believe just like there is a place, an extraordinary intersection where art and science meets, so is there one where psychoanalysis and neuro-science could meet.

TheSunAlsoRises

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2012, 11:22 am

If psycho-analysis were detached of any dogma, yes.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

what does psychoanalysis mean ... .. . .. .?

Anty28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

"Analysis of the mind". It's based on ideas such as free association, the Oedipus complex, and so on. Early adopters such as Freud held somewhat progressive views for their time, but many, in France, don't realise it isn't progressive anymore, and is, in fact, very outdated. When, for example, atheist/hedonist philosopher Michel Onfray released a book that was highly critical of Freud, it caused a great deal of controversy.

In that article, for those who read French, I argue that psychoanalysis is "neurotypist", that is, it encourages misconceptions and prejudices against autists :

La Psychanalyse est Neurotypiste

The major problem with "classical" psychoanalysis is that it isn't scientific : for them, the unconscious is more than the part of indirectly observable mental processes that are not known to consciousness, but also a terrible machine that makes them not even wrong.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

ediself wrote:
Look at this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9BJiASfpm4&feature=share[/youtube]

I watched the video but I really haven't practiced my French for a while! I understood all of the parts of the video that related to the things that you said in your post ediself but was there anything else in the video that I might not have understood beyond what you described in your post? If there is anything else perhaps you could give a brief summary for the benefit of those who don't understand French? It would be very appreciated :)

Anty28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2012, 5:57 pm

She's the mom of a 14-years old boy who was diagnosed AD/HD, then something close to Asperger's by a neuropsychologist ; the diagnosis should soon have been confirmed, but instead of the usual doctor, he was "taken care" by incompetent young people who soon locked him up, which made him cry and sent him to the hospital, where he was given meds usually reserved for schizophrenics.

The new doctor questioned the mother, but she didn't recognize her son in what he said. He isn't schizophrenic, he just has obsessions. She waits for his usual psychiatrist, she fears he is given neuroleptics, in short, she is appalled by the misunderstanding of doctors and the conditions in which her son lives.

Anty28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm

Sophie Robert (she who filmed the Wall) will give a sequel to her documentary about autism and psychoanalysis. The new work is called Sexual Theory and is not directly about autism, but psychoanalytical views on sexuality. Here's the teaser :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjzT34ppTY4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 2:45 am

I'm always so happy to find this post updated, thanks everyone, it's really good to know we're not completely forgotten :) now I'm waiting for Alex's documentary to come out, so excited about it ^^
http://www.vivrefm.com/videos/view/23

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 2:54 pm

also, just putting this petition out there, it's a petition for psychiatrists and associated professions but a number of parents have signed it, if some of you want to sign it as "autistic adult", it would be perfectly acceptable:
http://bonnespratiquesenpsychiatrie.blo ... ce-in.html

Lyll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

I am watching a program on France 2 mainstream TV channel about autism and asperger. The first part was a film called 'Le cerveau d'hugo' that presents autismeand asperger through the life of a true character and interviews aspies about the subject. Loved it.
The debate about the film and the status of autism and asperger in france has just started.

Lyll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2012, 4:29 pm

The show is called, 'autism, le scandale francais' (autism, the french scandal) That is definitely a big step forward.

Lyll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2012, 3:49 pm

French speakers can see the film here:

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/videos/le_cerv ... 50502.html

and the debate that followed:

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/videos/la_soir ... 50955.html