Are you private about your obsessions, away from this Site?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 12:56 pm

If the obsession is about a sensible subject (and I think London easily comes into that
category) then I don't see any harm in mentioning it now and again. My own interests tend
to be more general,like the history of Roman Britain,but I slip things into conversations if I
can find a relevant link to introduce it.
I've also had some silly obsessions that were just solitary pursuits.I used to play 'pretend' football matches by using telephone directories,but I won't bore you with the details !

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 1:08 pm

I'm very private about my special interests adn obsessions mos tof the time. I'm extrremely senstive to people being critical of me because of them, and that's something I've long had to deal with.

Part of it is my PTSD. When I was in drug rehab, one of the horrible things they did in group sessions, they'd ask others patients if they'd seen me drawing or writing anything. If anyone said yes, they would send another female patient into my room to get whatever it was. Then they would present it to the group, either mockingly ot antagonistically, accusing me of everything frrom being sexually confused to being homicidal. After those experiencees, I became even more secretive, to the point of hyperprotective over my interests. I'm better about it now, but still the slightest unexpected intrusion or rude comment can set me off and I'll get really hostile.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 2:31 pm

I talk about them but not all the time and I don't call them "obsessions" or "special interests" as the shrinks in Sweden prefer to call them. My only obsession that annoys people is that with the explosives. Mostly when I perform it. :wink:

'Tis munny in my purse.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 2:50 pm

I can talk about neurology with my friends, but I try to limit it so I won't bore them. But not with my family; once I mentioned something about a sign that was mixing up Dissociative personality disorder with Bipolarity and my parents asked "How do you know that?" kind of suspiciously. And when I told them enthusiatically that in health class we would learn about mental disorders, they rolled their eyes and mocked me.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 2:55 pm

My parents are impressed by my knowledge of things and my intelligence but my father denies that I'm an aspie...

'Tis munny in my purse.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:06 pm

Looking back, I'm amazed at how long it took me to figure out that other people didn't find the things I was interested in as fascinating and significant as I did.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:07 pm

I guess they like me to know stuff too, but they think it's funny I'm into mental disorders. It surprised me.

Also my dad told me I was nerdy when I pointed out a couple of mistakes when the paper said something in Latin ("travellers dixit", which is "travellers say (singular)" when it should've in plural: travellers dixerunt or dixere).

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:20 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
Looking back, I'm amazed at how long it took me to figure out that other people didn't find the things I was interested in as fascinating and significant as I did.

But why really? We are interested in odd but truly interesting things, while NTs are interested in babbling about the weather, what they will have for dinner and which t-shirt is the most popular at the moment...

'Tis munny in my purse.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:25 pm

superfantastic wrote:
Also my dad told me I was nerdy when I pointed out a couple of mistakes when the paper said something in Latin ("travellers dixit", which is "travellers say (singular)" when it should've in plural: travellers dixerunt or dixere).

Is your father a worker? Middle and upper class people would be impressed by that knowledge, at least here in Europe. I told my doctor (not my shrink, my "regular" MD) that the German word for physician, "Artzt" comes from the old Greek word "Archiater", which means "the eldest" or "the most skilful". He was awesomely impressed.

'Tis munny in my purse.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:33 pm

No, actually both my parents have PhDs! In fact he was moderately impressed by that (not too much since, as he knows, I learn Latin at school), but then got annoyed after I gave another couple examples of the misuse of Latin in the media.
Besides I was saying it in a mockingly pedantic way.

Oh, now I can see why it annoyed him 8)

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:42 pm

8)

'Tis munny in my purse.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 3:56 pm

I try to not bring up my obssession with historical facts. NewTs always answer with some total BS Urban Legend they heard from some guy on TV. It's the old joke about 'you people who think you know it all are a real pain to those of us who do.' Oh, and WWII. I try to never bring it up, you'd be amazed at people's ignorance ! !! Or should I say saddened at their ignerts.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

19 Oct 2006, 6:49 pm

If someone else brings one of my interests up, I tend to chatter on incessantly. Otherwise, parental conditioning has essentially trained me to be quiet about them until someone shows interest.

superfantastic wrote:

Dixere as a plural third person verb? I can't say that's a form I've ever come across, and usually verbs are my forte. Did you perhaps mean to use a plural imperative, like 'dicite?' Dixere isn't even a form; the verb is dico, dicere, dixi, dictus. It looks like you meant to use a present active infinitive, but that still doesn't make sense ("Travelers to say?"). Clarification?

Also, "dixerunt" does not translate as "they say," it translates as "they said."

You think your parents are touchy; mine were horrified when I got into an argument with my granddad over the existance of some mythical "future pluperfect" tense which he insisted was real and I insisted was not. Alas, my parents are generally not interested when I bring up Latin.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 6:56 pm

There is no "future pluperfect", only futurum exactum and plusquamperfectum. :?

'Tis munny in my purse.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 6:59 pm

Not being able to talk to others about your obsessions can be depressing but as far as it being healthy or not its really not one or the other.

I dont talk to anyone about my obsessions because no one is ever really interested. When someone asks a question thats on topic I give them the bare minimum amount of information that will answer their question but I dont continue unless they ask for more information.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

19 Oct 2006, 7:21 pm

Litigious wrote:
There is no "future pluperfect", only futurum exactum and plusquamperfectum. :?

Which was my opinion exactly. I also pointed out to him several times that he hadn't sat through a Latin class for at least forty years. :)