Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 9:46 am

aspies are poor at group work because they are unable to understand other people's expectations of them ?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 9:52 am

in my experience; yes.
since i realised this, i always tell my group members up front that i prefer clear instructions of what is expected of me, and any comments to be delivered directly and non-subtly; my group work ratings have soared ever since

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

I am terrible at group work unless I am in command or we have a very strong leader (the latter preferred).

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

Yep, unless I get to be the leader, or the group is led extremely well, yeah. I think a bigger thing is my "divergent thinking" so everyone else in the group will wanna do one thing, and I'll be thinking of a completely different way to do what we're doing or solve the problem. When that happens, most of the time they don't like what I have to say. The other thing too, if presented with a problem, my first thought process will be solving the problem, not socializing with my groupmates, I almost always feel like other people in a group are slacking off from talking with eachother too much, and not concentrating on the work at hand. So that combo doesn't usually make me work too well in groups.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

I am terrible at working in a group because I work at a different pace than other people. Either a lot faster or a lot slower depending on the task. I also have a hard time coordinating my movements around other people.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm

Non. I function well in groups.

hockeytaz
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2012, 12:40 pm

Really depends on the group for me. I have a good group in class right now that I function quite well in, but last quarter I had a horrible group. I like to lead the group because we can move at my pace, be it slow or fast. I have to be with people that move at a similar speed to me or I'll get frustrated.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:53 pm

Just as long as I know what I am supposed to be doing and am given something to do, I do fine. But that depends on what we are doing and if people give me support and that be telling me what to do so I can be a good team player.

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2012, 12:59 pm

I have a very difficult time integrating other people's ideas with my own. I have very specific ideas about the direction I want to take a project and while I can include other people's ideas, if they want to go in a different direction it's very hard for me to take, especially if I feel their plan is inferior to mine. I'm not very assertive so it's really easy for others to overide me and then I find myself working on a project that I don't like, didn't choose, and don't want my name attached to.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

I'm so bad at group work I can't even do it in the mmorpg that I play. I do everything solo.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

I suck at group work because I'm a control freak.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

I've gotten much better at it as an adult, but I vastly prefer working solo on things. After a few years of grade school, I started refusing to work in group settings. I didn't bother to articulate 'why' at the time (either to myself or my teachers), but in retrospect I think it was most likely because I had very little understanding of other people at the time. Nowadays it's mostly just because I work best when I have complete control over my environment and can stop and start at my own discretion.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

With group work I normally try to take lead of the group, it just makes things easier for me, plus I can make sure things get done right.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

I am good with groups in two cases.

As a project manager I am able to be strict about keeping scope and making sure that people don't let things go and half-ass things... I have strong convictions on doing things right the first time and not accepting half-butted deliverables.

The other time that I am good is when I am responsible for a sub-task... for example if the group has the task of collecting and then reacting to information and my job is to collect the information and bring it back to the information so that they can react to it then I can very much be the information expert on a team...

most other cases I have a tough time and don't contribute as well.

DC1977
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 5:33 pm

Yep,

An example I have would be when I was on an induction course for a job and they put us all in groups, tethered us together with a system of clips and cords and then tasked the group with releasing everyone. I saw the answer and politely informed the group, who were all arguing over the solution and was ignored, I waited a few minutes until it seemed like a better time to raise my suggestion again, but was ignored again. Bored and a bit annoyed, I then got myself removed from the tangle and stepped back to watch them fail the task. At the end the course leaders were discussing what could have been done better etc, and she loudly said 'Someone in the group worked it out, but was unable to get the team to listen' while staring intensly at me. As

As far as I am concerned, I did my bit, but the group didn't listen and failed. We were all adults, I should not need to jump up and down, scream and shout to get someones attention.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

No, I'm bad at group work because I find it incredibly difficult to process all the communication of the group.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I