Why do people on the spectrum look young for their age?

Page 1 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Incidentally, me, my mother, my grandmother, and great-grandmother all look years younger than our ages. Although since we're African-American, this could also be a simple case of "black don't crack".

Some of the African-American people I've known, it just blows my mind how well they've aged. Like, wow.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 9:49 pm

IMO

attitude, and emotional stress

I'm 48 and I don't feel it, act it, behave like I am, or anything. (except for a recent health problem that fixed now)

My friends are for the most part, on average 10yrs younger than myself. theres a few my age but they look older(ish)
My BF is almost exactly 10yrs younger than myself,......he's nearly all gray, aches and pains, creeks and cracks, bad posture etc. It probably doesn't help that he is kinds tall and skinny, and doesn't exercise.

I will admit that I've got some eye creases/ wrinkles though (crows feet) from smiling alot.
I still likes to have fun, ....and
yes I kick but at video games.

(30+yrs experience) LOL

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2012, 9:52 pm

Yeah, I guess it's worth mentioning that I am VERY stress-avoidant.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm

I'm 29 and I still get carded for everything. I've been told I look like I'm 19.

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2012, 12:13 am

I and aspie family member have been surprising people for decades. When people say _I_ look young for my age, I say you should see the rest of the family. Well, as far as demeanor and fashion mentioned in above posts, sure we will be dressing comfortably in the same style/hair we got used to in youth, and since we feel young mentally/emotionally we won't be drawn to suddenly dodgy mature fashions, but- as far as other actual appearance factors go, besides my family genes, 1) we take good care of our skin- very thoroughly and knowledgeably! 2) who knows, we spend more time indoors doing something quiet than out late partying (or drinking/smoking) and playing team sports outside and getting sun exposure... perhaps! also, it was determined like half a year ago that that suble, computer-detectable facial proportion features are distinct on the spectrum, so perhaps there is something subtle unconsciously recognizable in that. (who knows...)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:18 am

I got carded until I was about 33. I don't get out enough to know how young I look to people now (43), and I can't tell by looking in the mirror. No wrinkles yet, though.

My mother has a lot of ASD traits and people have always said she looks a lot younger than she is. She says it's due to "strong skin." In my case I'd guess it's more due to being slack-faced a lot of the time.

I remember someone put up a post here once about "neoteny." I didn't really understand it, but it was something about youthful traits being genetically selected for in certain conditions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm

I've noticed Aspie males look approximately their age or older than Aspie females (this might not be the case - it's just what I've experienced). Aspie females, like myself, tend to look younger then our age because maybe some females on the spectrum have problems motivating themselves into making an effort with their appearence. I've noticed young NT females who look younger than their age when they're not wearing make-up or have a hairstyle or anything. Once when I changed my hairstyle had a makeover, I actually looked way older, and other people pointed that out too. But I've met quite a few males on the spectrum and they kind of looked approximately their age. In fact one of them was 19 but looked about 30. He was tall, dark and handsome, with a nice stubble and full eyebrows, and he even gave off a confident, cocky vibe. Quite lucky really.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:45 pm

Joe,

You need to look at my Facebook photo! LOL
Tell me that person looks anywhere NEAR 50 years old?
I AM actually the son of a Wild Fay that stole a human child, & replaced him with me.

Kidding..
But it seems somehow fitting!

Sincerely,
Matt

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:30 am

Cause we can't be rationally-convinced to care about the things popular society is obsessed with, and therefore don't stress as much. (JK)

I got carded the other day at a store.
I'll be 24 in 3 months. 8O

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 29 Jan 2012, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:

They do that more and more here too. Most stores have a "Think 25" rule, which is a bit deranged when the legal purchasing age for booze and fags is 18.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:44 am

Tequila wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

They do that more and more here too. Most stores have a "Think 25" rule, which is a bit deranged when the legal purchasing age for booze and fags is 18.

It was for habaneros. I don't drink.
But it was nevertheless pretty mind-blowing.

to his Interest."

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:45 am

I haven't been carded since I was 16 :lol:

It must be the neard.

You will reap what you've sown.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:49 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Tequila wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Carded for habeneros? Weird.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 12:53 am

Tuttle wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Tequila wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Carded for habeneros? Weird.

I know, right?!
I usually get them from a mexican supermarket near my house, but this time was at Whole Foods.

to his Interest."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

I see young people in their late teens or 20s getting asked asked for their ID card nearly every time I go into a shop.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 2:56 pm

I get carded even now. I'm 50 in Feburary. LOL

Matt