Feeling lonely and yet not feeling good when socializing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 7:00 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Yup. 'Caught between a rock and a hard place.' (meaning caught between a bad situation and a solution which is another bad situation).

Exactly...

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 8:16 pm

Maybe you're not feeling good with the people you're socializing with because you're not close to them or something so you feel anxious

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 3:55 am

I feel something similar. I've been on annual leave from work for 2 weeks, the first week I was on vacation with my boyfriend and I wasn't lonely at all, but the second week he's back at work and I've been staying at his, but I've been lonely and became really depressed and tearful in the middle of the week. I temporarily became so depressed, that I began getting all anxious and paranoid about things. It's as though I miss being at work or something - but I'm back at work on Monday and I don't want to go. I'd rather not work, but then if I don't I start becoming depressed. I don't get bored. Just lonely. I only like my own company for a day or two. Then I really crave social interaction.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2016, 4:21 am

I feel like that. I'm lonely sometimes, but I want to be away from people sometimes. Those two happen at the same time a lot.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2016, 8:24 pm

I sometimes feel that way if I'm stressed out and nervous about socializing or fitting in. If I'm more relaxed it's better.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 11:21 pm

I'm like this too. I also sometimes feel more lonely when I'm around other people than when I'm actually alone.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2016, 11:30 pm

Malaise wrote:
I sometimes feel that way if I'm stressed out and nervous about socializing or fitting in. If I'm more relaxed it's better.

This is more or less me in everyday conversation. If I'm feeling at ease, I can talk much more easily, but if I'm anxious over something it can be hard for me to speak.

Lay26la1990
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2017, 1:22 pm

Transhuman wrote:
Can anybody relate to this? It's a very strange feeling, or rather a combination of feelings, if you ask me.

This is exactly the way I feel. I am starting to feel a bit depressed.

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2017, 4:01 pm

I can totally relate too.
Not much to add here, most of the posts on this thread describe what I feel.

Yeah I feel bad when alone for too long, but also feel bad (and sometimes even worse) when I'm surrounded by people.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 5:04 pm

I bore people when I speak. You are not the only one struggling.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 6:26 pm

I don't feel lonely, that almost never happens.
Wanting to be away from people happens more often than craving for it.

Not feeling good? More like it costs more, whether I enjoy socializing or not. It might take several hours of continuous interaction before I start not feeling well about it.
It may costs even more if everything aims to be 'appropriate' or matching with something less natural, than aiming for entertainment or fun or something more natural in which in turn could be more complicated to sucessfully pull off.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2017, 3:28 pm

I can relate to this, too. I do get lonely at times, but don't feel like socializing, unless it's about something I'm interested in. I think the only time I get lonely is when I'm bored, and I try to avoid that as much as possible. However, I try to avoid social situations, too, so go figure.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 5:16 pm

If I can find an activity I like, based on my interests, socialization is easier.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 5:49 pm

I find if there are more than 3 people in the room at once, I have a hard time following the conversation(s), because the sensory overload overwhelms my ability to process the incoming data and I can't even understand what people are saying about half the time (as if they were mumbling, but they aren't).

I have to keep leaning in and asking them to repeat themselves, as though I were slightly deaf, but it's not hearing that's the problem, it's my brain unable to interpret what I'm hearing fast enough for me to comprehend it.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:34 pm

I think anxiety is a big part of it. Socializing requires a lot of thinking.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

Yes. I can sit at home all day and wish I had friends, but then when I go out I feel awkward and want to retreat back to my safe space.