Asperger East Anglia - News Feed thread [UK-Specific]

Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 3:08 pm

Hi All

(People not living in the UK can safely ignore this thread).

For those of you here who don't know me, my name is Martin and as some of you know I am an adult with Asperger Syndrome, diagnosed a few years ago. I am now social media co-ordinator for Asperger East Anglia and have been given permission to cross-post our social media feed content to the three autism forums that I use.

I am doing this because many people with autism, and some without it, do not use social media and prefer to use forums like this one; obviously as an adult with AS and as a service user, volunteer and employee for/of Asperger East Anglia, I wish awareness of the Society's services to reach as many people who may need it as possible.

Rather than clutter up the forum with multiple threads, I felt it better that I should create a thread here in the forum to act as a news feed for Asperger East Anglia, analogous to our feeds on Facebook and the like.

Please note that all content posted by me in this thread, including email addresses, phone numbers, staff or volunteer names, etc., is official news and is cleared for publication by the society. It's all over Facebook, Twitter and in some cases Streetlife.com, so it really is public; anybody on the internet can, and is meant to, see it; often before it is posted here.

Please note that any replies any of you make on the thread itself are another matter; we'd rather you reply to whatever contact information is given in each post or by private message or email to me; however, if for whatever reason you need to reply on this thread, any safeguarding precautions about YOUR personal data still apply. So please be careful :)

Kind Regards
Martin Howe
Social Media Co-ordinator
Asperger East Anglia
[email protected]

Registered Charity No: 1074699

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2014, 6:35 pm

Our Beccles workshop urgently needs unwanted cargo pallets for recycling into crates and other woodwork items. If you can help, please call 01502 715500 or email [email protected]. Thanks :)

Last edited by IKnowWhoIAmNow on 21 Nov 2014, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2014, 7:34 pm

Did you know that we have a workshop project in Norwich?

This project provides a supported training and employment service for people affected by Asperger syndrome.

Research shows that those with an Autistic Spectrum Condition thrive in a structured and well organised environment. By channelling their strengths, such as attention to detail, tenacity and the ability to stay on task, with the correct support those with A.S. can make excellent employees.

Some highlights:

* Meaningful work experience
* Develop work based skills
* Increase their chances of securing employment
* Learn new skills
* Improve confidence and stamina
* Develop teamwork skills

Work experience tasters and skills in computers and electronics in the form of a computer and small appliance (i.e., TVs and DVD players) repair and refurbishment service for donated electronics to be sold. Participants will have the opportunity to gain basic electrical knowledge while assisting with repairs and refurbishment.

Additionally, there is a PAT testing service on offer to local businesses, where participants will gain basic electrical wiring skills for small appliances. As well as gaining experience in a real work environment, they could also gain a nationally recognised P.A.T. Testing qualification.

Summary:
* 6-26 Week Programme.
* Practical skills in a work environment.
* Workshop or external placement.
* Up-to-date experience to put on the C.V.
* A reference on successful completion of the programme.
* Job Search activities.
* Compiling a C.V. & Cover Letter.
* Filling out application forms.
* Life Skills.
* Job Skills.
* How to cope in the workplace.
* Supporting Environment.

For more details of the Work Opportunities Program Workshop, please contact:

Jenny Leake
Services Co-ordinator
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 01603 598949
Mobile: 07927 024557

Chris Karakoidas
Workshop Supervisor
Phone: 01603 598945
Mobile: 07986 868708

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2014, 2:33 am

Correction (re: pallets): The email address for our Beccles workshop is [email protected]. Sorry for any confusion caused!

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2014, 9:33 am

Beccles Adult Social Group

There is a social/support group for adults with Asperger Syndrome at Beccles.

The group runs twice a month; the main meeting is between 7 and 9 pm on the LAST Wednesday of every month EXCEPT December. There is usually an additional meeting between 7 and 9 pm (spring/summer) or 6.30 and 8.30 pm (autumn/winter) on the SECOND Wednesday of every month INCLUDING December.

The exact times and activities for each additional meeting are decided during the immediately preceding main meeting, but usually involve a walk around the Beccles area or an evening outing further afield.

Main meetings 2014 and early 2015:

* November 26th
* (Please note that there is no main meeting in December)
* January 28th
* February 25th
* March 25th

Expected additional meetings 2014 and early 2015:

* December 10th (6.30pm)
* January 14th (6.30pm)
* February 11th (6.30pm)
* March 11th (6.30pm)

For further information and to join the group, please email Martin Howe on [email protected] or telephone 01502 715500.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2014, 10:12 am

Don't forget, everybody!

Tonight (Wednesday 26 November) is the last main meeting of the Waveney & East Norfolk adults with AS group at Beccles for 2014. And if you would like a say in our plans for the last additional meeting of the year, 10th December, be extra sure to turn up!

See you there :)

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2014, 10:33 am

New from Asperger East Anglia at Beccles!

Starting tomorrow, Thursday 27th November 2014, we are having a book sale every Thursday and Friday at the Beccles premises in the main meeting room upstairs.

There are a lot of good-quality books on sale at reasonable prices, including fiction/non-fiction, paperback/hardback, and child/adult categories. We have also got a lot of low-priced fiction in paperback.

All profits go to supporting people affected by Asperger Syndrome.

Come and pick up a bargain soon!

1a Market Street, Beccles, NR34 9AQ. 9.30am-5pm, Thursdays and Fridays. Tel: 01502 715500. Email: [email protected].

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2014, 10:48 am

Lovely open fire at home?
Why not get some cheap kindling from our Beccles workshop at £3.50 a sack!

Come to the A-Shop yard at 1a Market Street, Beccles, NR34 9AQ.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2014, 7:31 am

Did you know that we have a workshop project in Beccles?

This project provides a supported training and employment service for people affected by Asperger syndrome.

Research shows that those with an Autistic Spectrum Condition thrive in a structured and well organised environment. By channelling their strengths, such as attention to detail, tenacity and the ability to stay on task, with the correct support those with A.S. can make excellent employees.

Some highlights:

* Meaningful work experience
* Develop work based skills
* Increase their chances of securing employment
* Learn new skills
* Improve confidence and stamina
* Develop teamwork skills

Work experience tasters and skills in Carpentry & Craft:
Restoration and repair of small pieces of furniture. Art and Craft projects (including sewing, knitting and textiles) to create desirable items.Participants will have the opportunity to learn new skills in wood-working, furniture refurbishment and creative crafts. Completed items will be sold in “A Shop” (Asperger East Anglia’s own charity shop) or at local craft fairs.

Work experience tasters and skills in Computers and Electronics:
Computer and small appliance (i.e., TVs and DVD players) repair and refurbishment service for donated electronics to be sold. Participants will have the opportunity to gain basic electrical knowledge while assisting with repairs and refurbishment.

Work experience tasters and skills in Retail:
The “A Shop” based in Beccles, sells donated goods and good quality clothing. Participants will train in retail and customer service with the opportunity to improve communication skills in a supportive environment.

Additionally, there is a PAT testing service on offer to local businesses, where participants will gain basic electrical wiring skills for small appliances. As well as gaining experience in a real work environment, they could also gain a nationally recognised P.A.T. Testing qualification.

For more details of the Work Opportunities Program Workshop, please contact:

Jenny Leake
Services Co-ordinator
Mobile: 07927 024557

Thecla Fellas
CEO
Mobile: 07776 231485

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2014, 7:31 am

Our electrical workshop in Beccles is always looking for new stock.

Do you have any surplus or faulty equipment that you wish to recycle? We can repair it and sell it to raise money for the Society's aim of helping people affected by Asperger Syndrome.

Please contact us at [email protected] or telephone 07776 231485. Thank you :)

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2014, 7:42 am

Is your computer refusing to boot up, shut down or connect to the internet?
If so then our Beccles based workshop can help!

We offer Desktop, Laptop repairs upgrades & refurbishment and repair all makes and models; Virus / Spyware removal, System cleanup, System crash problems, System recovery / reinstall, Laptop/Desktop haradware repairs & upgrades, Software / Hardware compatibility problems. Competitive prices and Free estimates!

For full details, please contact us at [email protected], on 01502 715500 or call in for more details:
1/1a Market Street, Beccles, Suffolk, NR34 9AQ

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2014, 6:12 pm

Norwich Adult Social Group

There is a social/support group for adults with Asperger Syndrome at Norwich.

The group runs between 7 and 9 pm on the fourth Thursday of every month.

Come along to a comfortable and interesting evening in the company of other adults affected by Asperger Syndrome; it is a chance to enjoy an evening of various events chosen by group members.

There is a small charge of £3 per session to help with costs

For further information and to join the group, please email Jane Garrec on [email protected] or telephone 01603 620500.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2014, 7:09 pm

Last book sale of 2014!

Today, Friday 19th December, is our last book sale for 2014!

Stumped for that last present?

There are a lot of good-quality books on sale at reasonable prices, including fiction/non-fiction, paperback/hardback, and child/adult categories. We have also got a lot of low-priced fiction in paperback.

All profits go to supporting people affected by Asperger Syndrome and the project is staffed entirely by adults with Asperger Syndrome, giving them valuable training, work experience or employment!

We re-open on Thursday 8th January, so come and pick up a bargain while there's still time!

1a Market Street, Beccles, NR34 9AQ. 9.30am-5pm, Thursdays and Fridays. Tel: 01502 715500. Email: [email protected]

(Of course, both being Social Media Co-ordinator for AEA and running the book sales personally, perhaps I'm a little bit biased :P)

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2014, 6:37 am

There is a small feature on the Book Sales on page 47 of today's Beccles & Bungay Journal, too :) (19th December 2014)

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2014, 5:00 am

Last chance to buy that present for somebody special?

The A Shop closes for Christmas at 5pm this evening and, along with the Beccles workshops, re-opens at 9.30am on Monday 5th January; book sales resume at 9.30am on Thursday 8th January.

The next meeting of the Beccles adult Asperger group will be 6.30 pm on 14th January and members will be contacted by email in due course; members of the other social groups should follow their usual timetable and contact their group leader for further information, if required.

Please note that Norwich services are also closed for Christmas and as with Beccles, resume on 5th January.

We wish you season's greetings and a happy new year :)

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2015, 6:25 pm

Hello everyone

Just a quick reminder that our services have resumed and that the workshops and the charity shop (A Shop, at Beccles) are already open.

The Book Sales at Beccles resume tomorrow (Thursday 8th January), so please come and have a look if you are visiting East Norfolk or N.E. Suffolk and want a good read.

Happy new year!