Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pikachufan2028
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2006, 4:35 pm

So I was like at my Foods 2 class today. I went up to this group of girls and I asked them a simple question. I asked them what to do, but they for like what 5 seconds just stared at me. Then one of them finally started to talk. Now this felt really awkward. The stares they gave me, have been bothering me all day. Do you think this might have something to do with my aspergers? What's your opinion? Did I just not ask them the right way?

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Oct 2006, 5:22 pm

I'd say that u shouldn't worry about it too much but why do you think they stared at you? I think they might have thought it was weird that you merely asked them what to do. why would they want to help some1 else when they needed to do their own work as well?

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Then one of them finally started to talk.

Maybe the group decided that it would be more efficient for just one of them to speak to you at that time. No one wanted to at first, because they were all doing something else, but someone had to, so somewhere along the (hidden) lines it was decided that this one person would respond.

So, like Alex said, no need to worry about this too much, man (or gal). :)

Dewclaw
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2006, 11:25 pm

Those types of situations happen to everyone, but happen a bit more to people who aren't quite as adept at socializing. It sounds like you are maybe in 7th or 8th grade or high school, if you are, then the social thing is out of whack for everyone during that stage. Most of us make it through without long term problems. This probably doesn't help much in the short term. Maybe your eye contact and/or body language is a little rough? Some people are tuned into that.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 7:36 pm

Probably was out of personality for you to ask them. They were probably caught off-guard and weren't sure how to respond right away. I speak from experience; because usually I end up questioning people for their strange looks if it happens more than once. And I have gotten answers out of girls that stared at me. Hardly ever a negative answer, surprisingly enough.

Something as simple as this could answer your question:

They were caught off-guard.